PIO (Player of Indian Origin) Thread

Comments

• I absolutely think its necessary to relax the rules..this way many gud players of Indian Origin will b able to play for india..also there will lot of people eager to go n watch the indian team play coz the chances of winning will increase..the local players will b encouraged to play better coz thy will know once the rule is relaxed thr will b much more competition for a plce in da team..parents will let thr kids take football as a career since thr will b more media coverage..I mean thr will lots of advantages..however, hope da rules r changed asap or else we will lose gud PIOs.
  • archakarchak 2082 Points
    ashindia wrote:
    archak wrote:
    if the rule gets relaxed then in the short term indian will gain some rankings may even break into top 100 that would bring in much needed sponsors. but in the long term we need the aiff fifa academies along with tfa and a few other academies working in full sync to improve the rankings (top 50). the pio needs to be well markted so that everyone comes to know about thereby increasing awareness of the national team..

Bit of mix and match is always good for now PIO will be of huge benefit and local youngsters playing with them will help them learn a lot.

Players like Micheal Chopra with EPL experience will be a huge hit among fans and could generate lot of media attention along with his contribution to team.

Also there are lot of Lower Division players who could try their luck at I-League and who knows they could even represent India if they are good enough.

yeah but i would not allow every pio a garunteed selection a few has to prove themselves before allowing them to play for our nt
  • archakarchak 2082 Points
    along with the pio we should also draft in some naturalised players.... from the current foreigners of ileague
  • ashindiaashindia 9248 Points
    archak wrote:
    along with the pio we should also draft in some naturalised players.... from the current foreigners of ileague

That's impossible man,AIFF and other guys can only try changing the rules related to Sports.But Foreign naturalization is impossible let them represent India if they have lived for 12 years.
  • The foreigners in I-League wont add shit to India.
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    I will say WHY NOT? Look at the state of football in our country..who gives a damn except for few of us who seem jobless to others!

I have always advocated for PIO inclusion but against naturalization of Africans. This is the best way to fast-track the growth and popularity of football. Look at how cricket grew in India. Before 1983 World Cup, very few gave it a damn. Everyone likes a hero whom they can imitate/emulate. The ICC World Cup gave them many heroes. And look at it now. Do you think BCCI is very professional? Shit. All looks fine coz they are rich. Look at how they handled IPL. Can you point out one stadium which is as World Class as those in Australia, with all that money?

French national team has more Africans than French. If they can hire foreigners, PIOs are a bit Indians after all. Imagine, we start beating Gulf nations, drawing Saudi and UAE, 0-1, 1-2 loss against Koreans...that would draw millions of EPL-bugged Indians. What a kickstart that would be.

And I see it as a possibility. Last year PM said that NRIs will have voting rights very soon. If they can choose the government, why cant they play football?
  • somesh wrote:
    I will say WHY NOT? Look at the state of football in our country..who gives a damn except for few of us who seem jobless to others!

I have always advocated for PIO inclusion but against naturalization of Africans. This is the best way to fast-track the growth and popularity of football. Look at how cricket grew in India. Before 1983 World Cup, very few gave it a damn. Everyone likes a hero whom they can imitate/emulate. The ICC World Cup gave them many heroes. And look at it now. Do you think BCCI is very professional? Shit. All looks fine coz they are rich. Look at how they handled IPL. Can you point out one stadium which is as World Class as those in Australia, with all that money?

French national team has more Africans than French. If they can hire foreigners, PIOs are a bit Indians after all. Imagine, we start beating Gulf nations, drawing Saudi and UAE, 0-1, 1-2 loss against Koreans...that would draw millions of EPL-bugged Indians. What a kickstart that would be.

And I see it as a possibility. Last year PM said that NRIs will have voting rights very soon. If they can choose the government, why cant they play football?

A foreigner of Indian nationality should be allowed but the foreigners in I-League wont do much. They may seem good here but there professionalism, the way they conduct themselves is to in question.
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    Thats what I said..didn't I?
  • somesh wrote:
    Thats what I said..didn't I?

Well actually I thought you said that foreigners from I-League should be in the team along with PIO mainly because you said "I will say why not" and that came after my comment about how we should not have I-League foreigners in the team.

Just a bit of confusion, that is all.
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    people dont really care with whom we are playing but how we are playing so all i would say is get some quality players who are good enough for us to help to show some good display of the game which will eventually gain more fans and media attraction....
    then all those who got talent will also start thinking of giving football as a career a try...which would help us get self sufficient in may be 10 years time

and also i dont want any african wear indian jersey...i would be fine with a half indian than non-indian players
    if possible i would love to know whether arsenal target, rohan(as someone pointed out) is keen to play as well?? ;;)