Should Indian Football adopt relegation?

Arsenalkid700Arsenalkid700 7 Points
edited April 2012 in Indian Football Team
I am making this thread after me and Somnath (and a little bit of Ash) had a conversation on the topic of whether we should adopt expansion or if we should keep promotion/relegation. This conversation took place on the I-League 2nd Division thread so I did not want to continue it there, rather make a new thread dedicated to the subject.

Anyway, I would like to see the AIFF come out with the idea of using expansion. Start the I-League next season with 10 clubs in a closed-system where non of them would have to deal with the <b>financial</b> death that is relegation. Also I would propose the AIFF to allow a salary cap along with roster restrictions. Expansion would also give the league and I-League owners almost 100% power over what and where the next franchise would be located. They would also have the option to look into it for as much time as they want to see whether a) it has football support b) possibility of domestic Indian football support c) it is a city d) if there is a good stadium option and e) if it is feasible and how would it be in terms of TV Marketing.

Expansion would also be helpful in terms of finances. What if one season Mohun Bagan and East Bengal got relegated. Not only would EB and MB fold, the league would lose 2 of its best teams in terms of fan support and media support. What about Pune FC, they have invested a lot of money to try and get football running in Pune. They would be fuming if they would see that effort go to waste and they are relegated. Also what if a club gets promoted and dont market themselves. Football is no longer JUST about the on field performance. Football is now a business. We cant allow clubs up that only want to promote there company and not market to fans. It is just not viable long term in the great country of India which has so much potential.

So what are your thoughts on this, should we go this way or should we not?

Comments

• usaindiausaindia 1671 Points
    first few years no relegation
  • agree. I was also looking at this system Japan has out. Basically is order to join the J.League (Division 1 and 2) you have to be a member of the J.League Member Association. In order to apply to join you must follow the following...

<b>Club Organization</b>
    -Must be entity or organization solely devoted to football
    -Company and university clubs do not qualify
    -At least half of the shares of stock must be Japanese ownership
    -Must have feasible financial status
    (Note: The league recommends ¥ 1.5 million of capital by J2 promotion and 5 million by end of the third J2 year.)
    -Must secure sponsorships of ¥ 1 million
    -Must hire at least three administrative employees, one of whom must have managerial position
    -Must have proper payroll system according to Japanese Law
    -Must complete tax audit annually
    <b>Home Stadium/Training Facility</b>
    -Home stadium must be located in the proposed hometown
    -Must have or have plans to build/reconstruct stadium with capacity of 10,000 and natural -grass pitch
    -Must have a press box and a conference room for pre- and post-match news conferences in the stadium
    -Must secure training facilit(ies) within the proposed hometown
    <b>Home Town</b>
    -Must be approved by respective Prefectural Football Association
    -Must be approved by the hometown government in writing
    <b>Others</b>
    -Must currently play in JFL, Regional Divisions, or Prefectural Divisions
    -Must have 5 players with pro A contract (see: J. League contracts)
    -Must desire eventual promotion to the J2
    -Must have plans for a youth system
    -(Note: Having youth teams is a requirement for J1 promotion, not for J2 promotion.)
    <b>Advantages</b>
    -Required for J2 promotion
    -The league committee will provide resources to assist the club to attain J2 promotion
    -The right to label the club as a "J. League Associate Member". However, this does not allow the use of J. League logos, which would be considered copyright infringement until actual promotion is achieved.

We could do this for 2012-13. Have a 10 team I-League and a 8 team I-League 2nd Division. Make all the teams follow a modified version of these Japanese requirements.

Then start a 3rd Division called the <b>Indian Football League</b> which is a regional type league. Basically 4 teams from the North-East. 4 from the East. 4 from the West.

I-League: East Bengal, Mohun Bagan, Pune FC, Mumbai FC, Goa Rovers FC (Dempo SC), Sporting Goa, Northern Bengal United FC, Shillong Lajong FC, United Sikkim FC and (Random club here)

I-League 2nd Division: Vasco SC, Royal Wahingdoh FC, Aizawl FC, Kohima Komets, Delhi United FC, Hyderabad Globe FC, Eagles FC, and (Random club here)

Indian Football League: Mohammedan, Jaipur FC, ONGC FC, Air India FC, Kalighat FC, Churchill Brothers SC, (Random clubs)
  • usaindiausaindia 1671 Points
    we may need to introduce the  franchise system ,salary cap ,draft,pio and limits on foreign players
  • usaindia wrote:
    we may need to introduce the  franchise system ,salary cap ,draft,pio and limits on foreign players

<br><div><br></div><div>True. Whether people like it or not India does not have many clubs that can compete in a national top division. Only a few can and a few will actually market.</div><div><br></div><div>A draft is a good idea. Start a college league. Select 30 colleges across India and start a college league between them, although it may take a few years before this is started. </div><div><br></div><div>We need to select 10 teams and turn them into franchises. At this moment only a few clubs can really turn into a first division football team.</div>
  • ajmalajmal 1208 Points
    clubs like dempo that has high chance to avoid relegation have gone one step forward by tie ups with foreign clubs , youth development etc . So by removing relegation ,other clubs will surely go this way. Bottom placed teams are fighting throughout the year not to get relegated .so they wont take the chance to play youngsters.same for the middle placed ones - first they have to make sure that they dont get relegated.
  • ajmal wrote:
    clubs like dempo that has high chance to avoid relegation have gone one step forward by tie ups with foreign clubs , youth development etc . So by removing relegation ,other clubs will surely go this way. Bottom placed teams are fighting throughout the year not to get relegated .so they wont take the chance to play youngsters.same for the middle placed ones - first they have to make sure that they dont get relegated.

<br><div style="font-weight: normal; "><br></div><div>Exactly one of the reasons I hate relegation <b>at this moment</b> for Indian football. Just because England and some random Asian countries do it does not mean we have to. Those Asian countries dont have to compete with other sports. India does! If a club is in a relegation zone then they will play the old players as for some reason, they have super playing abilities.</div>
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">The main problem is that AFC is trying to implement this relegation system in all countries as possible as they recently are forcing both australia and S.Korea to go relegation way of organisation...</font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">so we may face some stiff resistance from top continental body in implementation as well...</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Though i am a big fan of franchise format in indian football structure and will automatically bring professionalism in short time which is great for indian football</font></div>
  • shankar wrote:
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">The main problem is that AFC is trying to implement this relegation system in all countries as possible as they recently are forcing both australia and S.Korea to go relegation way of organisation...</font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">so we may face some stiff resistance from top continental body in implementation as well...</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Though i am a big fan of franchise format in indian football structure and will automatically bring professionalism in short time which is great for indian football</font></div>

<br><div><br></div><div>I am sure we can convince the AFC to us using that model for a few years but ya it does suck. The AFC is trying to be like UEFA. This is not Europe, this is Asia and this is India. Can promotion/relegation work? I think not.</div>
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points
    I league without relegation will mean the lower teams getting any tom dick and harry to save money, match fixing against big teams, no excitement in the lower table teams....<div><br></div><div>Lower table players payed poorly as they know they can play anyone, lose 10-0 nobody gives a shit..... No relegation can only work in a franchise system (like IPL) where payment rules etc are well chalked out...now at this moment you cant dissolve all the existing clubs for franchise system...</div><div><br></div><div>Apart from few big clubs, others will sign shitty players...so all these PSU/low budget teams signing quality local players will be history...u either need relegation pressure or pressure via rules...</div><div><br></div><div>Look what happened to Arrows without the relegation clause</div>
  • rudra wrote:
    I league without relegation will mean the lower teams getting any tom dick and harry to save money, match fixing against big teams, no excitement in the lower table teams....<div><br></div><div>Lower table players payed poorly as they know they can play anyone, lose 10-0 nobody gives a shit..... No relegation can only work in a franchise system (like IPL) where payment rules etc are well chalked out...now at this moment you cant dissolve all the existing clubs for franchise system...</div><div><br></div><div>Apart from few big clubs, others will sign shitty players...so all these PSU/low budget teams signing quality local players will be history...u either need relegation pressure or pressure via rules...</div><div><br></div><div>Look what happened to Arrows without the relegation clause</div>

<br><div><br></div><div>That is my only concern and yes we have no choice but to put different regulations. Right now though I am hoping we can do something like MLS. In MLS we have parity which means that you can finish last one season but then be a champion the next. Example: My New York Red Bulls finished last in 2009 and were in 1st in 2010. That is the glory of a salary cap and drafting. That is the difference between MLS and A-League. A-League is less strict on spending so every season its almost the same club.</div><div><br></div><div>The only way I can see relegation working is if we adopt something that Japan has and that is the J.League Membership. Anyway I can assure you that yes the companies get good players but with the Academies coming in and the clubs getting better with scouting the companies wont be needed.</div><div><br></div><div>And also if I am not mistaken the BCCI have a Company league for company cricket teams. Why not put them there.</div><div><br></div><div>A 10 team league</div><div>- ONGC FC</div><div>- Air India FC</div><div>- Chirag United SC</div><div>- Indian Bank SC</div><div>(Random Companies and Religious clubs)</div><div><br></div><div>The only company named clubs I am okay with are Prayag United SC and Dempo SC. The others should go but I do agree that is impossible.</div>