Should we disband the the Santosh Trophy?

<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Yes I have started this thread. We all knew it would be created sooner or later. Anyway we have all seen this article by now...</font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_santosh-trophy-off-the-spot_1684608</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Honestly I think it is right. The Santosh Trophy really has no meaning anymore. Ever sense the I-League began (or NFL) in 1996 the Santosh Trophy has lost its power and honestly I think it is time to say "It has been a glorious run but it is time to lay this tournament to rest".</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Let me just state the main reason for me saying this... Kushal Das was asked why the I-League U20 was not full season and his answer was that we do not have enough money to invest in a full season league. Then we hear about how we spend 1 crore a season on the Santosh Trophy which only comes up with the odd player every now and then. </font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">We also know that long-term the I-League U20 will come up with more players than the Santosh Trophy and ALSO we have the u15 players in the Academies. They will obviously join the U20 I-League when they are older but why stunt all that training they did at the AIFF Academy by only having the league for 1 month. These kids need at least 5-6 months of a league season in order to develop. Now going back to that 1 crore I think that if we stop spending that on the Santosh Trophy and focus that money on the I-League U20 then we could possibly have a top youth league here. Now obviously we are all thinking that how could this help... well what if we disband the I-League 2nd Division to. Again that league is 3 months long, neutral venue and the promoted/relegation thing in India obviously does not work and will never work until more professional teams come up. So why not take the money used for Santosh Trophy and I-League 2 and spend it on the I-League U20. Make that league better so that...</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">A) The current U15 Academy kids have a stable U20 league to play in, in the future</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">B) Gives more exposure to the U20 players.</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">C) Can attract SESA, TATA, PIFA etc Academies to play in the U20 league instead giving there youngsters more of an opportunity to play with players there own age and give I-League scouts a better idea of there abilities.</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Yes, I did stray from the main topic but that is my reasoning... get rid of Santosh Trophy (and I-League 2) and get a better U20 league.</font></div>

Comments

• rudrarudra 2958 Points
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">What is the problems with Santosh Trophy when the I League players are not allowed. All the non representing state players will get a chance to prove themselves and get scouted by i league/state league clubs</font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Santosh Trophy is the only pan-Indian thing</font></div>
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    rudra wrote:
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">What is the problems with Santosh Trophy when the I League players are not allowed. All the non representing state players will get a chance to prove themselves and get scouted by i league/state league clubs</font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Santosh Trophy is the only pan-Indian thing</font></div>

<br><div><br></div><div>The problem is the amount of money wasted and also the fact that it not a age group tournament....</div><div>may be a u-23 age limit would have been good for santosh trophy but this doesnt sounds good for the indian football structure with most veterans playing this tournament and so we are not getting any good names coming up the ranks</div>
  • rudra wrote:

<br><div><br></div><div>On field it is a good idea but we have to look at this from the off-field point. We are wasting 1 crore on this tournament when that crore could be used on the I-League U20 which in the end will hold more rewards than Santosh.</div><div><br></div><div>The Santosh Trophy was a great tournament but really should have been disbanded when the NFL started. And if you want to keep state tournaments then keep the BC Roy or Mir Cups so that the states can play each other while playing with youth players.</div>
  • usaindiausaindia 1671 Points
    edited May 2012
    not related to santosh trophy,but we should have a clear calender set with real downtime for football players ,also i want to see if i-league can start from march and finish in sep each year,that would help clubs playing in afc cup
    usaindia wrote:
    not related to santosh trophy,but we should have a clear calender set with real downtime for football players ,also i want to see if i-league can start from march and finish in sep each year,that would help clubs playing in afc cup

<br><div><br></div><div>There is a clear calender for aiff tournaments but they so packed at times that we need some tournaments to be transformed or removed...</div><div><br></div><div>And yea i like the idea to shift the i-league season to mrach one,. but the problem would be the hot climate which is seen in june-july time and also teh rainy season which follows wont be a good time to play football i feel</div>
  • usaindia wrote:

<br><div><br></div><div>I am not sure about the climate change and all that but wouldnt I-League in August be murder to some players and teams.</div><div><br></div><div>Also we would risk competition with IPL for the summer and all the summer cricket matches. We cant compete with that. Right now WSH is only 1 month long and the IPL is only 1 month into the I-League so it is perfect. </div><div><br></div><div>Plus you got other summer events like Golf, Tennis, Euros, FIFA World Cups, etc.</div><div><br></div><div>AIFF should just make a simple calendar from September to May.</div><div><br></div><div>- I-League (September to May; at least 4 matches per team per month with 5 maximum)</div><div><br></div><div>- Federation Cup (July to May; knock-out cup, 1-2 rounds per month)</div><div><br></div><div>- I-League U20 (December to May; Have Group matches and the a 2 month final round)</div><div><br></div><div>- AIFF Super Cup (September between last seasons I-League champions and Fed Cup champions)</div><div><br></div><div>- Summer Transfer Window (June 1st - August 31st)</div><div><br></div><div>- Winter Transfer Window (January)</div>
    arsenalfan wrote:
    usaindia wrote:

<br><div><br></div><div>I am not sure about the climate change and all that but wouldnt I-League in August be murder to some players and teams.</div><div><br></div><div>Also we would risk competition with IPL for the summer and all the summer cricket matches. We cant compete with that. Right now WSH is only 1 month long and the IPL is only 1 month into the I-League so it is perfect. </div><div><br></div><div>Plus you got other summer events like Golf, Tennis, Euros, FIFA World Cups, etc.</div><div><br></div><div>AIFF should just make a simple calendar from September to May.</div><div><br></div><div>- I-League (September to May; at least 4 matches per team per month with 5 maximum)</div><div><br></div><div>- Federation Cup (July to May; knock-out cup, 1-2 rounds per month)</div><div><br></div><div>- I-League U20 (December to May; Have Group matches and the a 2 month final round)</div><div><br></div><div>- AIFF Super Cup (September between last seasons I-League champions and Fed Cup champions)</div><div><br></div><div>- Summer Transfer Window (June 1st - August 31st)</div><div><br></div><div>- Winter Transfer Window (January)</div>

<br><div><br></div><div>Perfect calender and there is definitely a place for one odd tournament which could be played like carling cup </div><div>and with this set-up there wont be any such tussle with elite leagues</div>
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">
    shankar wrote:
    arsenalfan wrote:
    usaindia wrote:

</font><br><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">I am not sure about the climate change and all that but wouldnt I-League in August be murder to some players and teams.</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">Also we would risk competition with IPL for the summer and all the summer cricket matches. We cant compete with that. Right now WSH is only 1 month long and the IPL is only 1 month into the I-League so it is perfect. </div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">Plus you got other summer events like Golf, Tennis, Euros, FIFA World Cups, etc.</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">AIFF should just make a simple calendar from September to May.</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">- I-League (September to May; at least 4 matches per team per month with 5 maximum)</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">- Federation Cup (July to May; knock-out cup, 1-2 rounds per month)</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">- I-League U20 (December to May; Have Group matches and the a 2 month final round)</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">- AIFF Super Cup (September between last seasons I-League champions and Fed Cup champions)</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">- Summer Transfer Window (June 1st - August 31st)</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">- Winter Transfer Window (January)</div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">

</font><br><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">Perfect calender and there is definitely a place for one odd tournament which could be played like carling cup </div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">and with this set-up there wont be any such tussle with elite leagues</div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">

</font><br><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">I wouldnt add the extra tournament because the AIFF would still spend on BC Roy and Mir Trophies and we need I-League U20 to be longer than it is so just keep it at that and maybe once we somehow make a 2nd Division in 5-10 years and have more money we can start a Carling Cup tournament.</font></div>