Indian Football News Updates

Comments

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29721 Points
    As far as I know, that is a rumour till now...I have seen it only in Sportskeeda
    munna219777
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29721 Points

Super Cup boycott: ISL versus I-League friction out in open

The Super Cup, currently underway in Bhubaneswar, has emerged as the latest point of friction between the All India Football Federation and I-League clubs. Seven out of the 12 matches played so far, including the qualifiers, have ended in walkovers after half of the teams decided not to show up for the competition. The AIFF has called their actions ‘anti-football.’ The teams have thrown that accusation right back at them.

This form of protest is unprecedented and first-of-a-kind in Indian football. Eight out of the 11 I-League clubs decided to boycott the tournament. I-League champions Chennai City, season’s surprise Real Kashmir and Arrows are the only ones playing in the Super Cup. Chennai City co-owner Rohit Rangarajan said they had to take part in order to keep their hopes of playing in Asia in tact. By virtue of winning the I-League, Chennai will make their continental debut this year but for that, they will need the AIFF’s clearance. Rangarajan said this was an important factor that led to them breaking away from the I-League pack.

But the fact that the country’s two oldest clubs, East Bengal and Mohun Bagan, have stood their ground and joined the other teams has put further pressure on the AIFF, who have invited the aggrieved clubs for talks in mid-April. “What they are doing is not good for football. I understand there are some grievances, some differences. But those could have been sorted out rather than boycotting a national tournament,” AIFF general secretary Kushal Das said.

The officials from AIFF and Reliance, who have so far stonewalled every idea to make ISL an inclusive league, cite two reasons to back their theories: their hands, they say, are tied because of the contractual obligations. But even if a consensus was reached and I-League clubs were allowed to play in the ISL, officials argue, will they be able to match the finances of an ISL franchise? And will the cash-strapped I-League clubs be able to provide ‘world-class’ dressing rooms, lush playing fields and other such facilities? “If you have to convince a Tim Cahill to play in India, can you have sub-standard facilities?” says an official.

Aizawl, for example, has never been seriously considered to host NorthEast United’s matches because of the treacherous travel conditions (the closest airport, Lengpui, is 30km away) and lack of plush hotels, which the ISL players are used to living in.
    .........................................................................................................................................................................................
    A FSDL official conceded these are ‘business decisions, not just based on football decision.’ Reliance, as a private entity funding a league, is expected to further its case. The onus, however, is on the federation. It was almost certain that ISL would take over as the premier tournament this year onwards. For the time being, the protests have forced the AIFF to play down those talks. “We will hear out the clubs’ grievances. Eventually, our executive committee will take a decision,” Das said.

Some Observations:

1. “What they are doing is not good for football. I understand there are some grievances, some differences. But those could have been sorted out rather than boycotting a national tournament,” AIFF general secretary Kushal Das said.

For the sake of argument, I am granting that boycotting the tournament is not in the spirit of sports. But what has AIFF been doing that is "good for football"? Is the appointment of the marketing partner, FSDL, to key AIFF committees and letting them make key decisions in affairs related to Indian football "good for football" or in the best interests of Indian football? Doesn't it fall within the infamous "conflict of interest" case as was mentioned in the letter penned by the I-league clubs? Is the suppression of the report prepared by AFC and FIFA regarding the merger of I-League "good for football"? If, as the Khelnow report recently mentioned, AIFF is taken to court (CAS) for trying to impose a closed league system (without promotion relegation) in the country, as has been the case with MLS, will that be very "good for Indian football"?

The clubs had sent their letter to AIFF on February 18, much before the beginning of the Super Cup. The assurance of meeting came almost one month after, just before the beginning of the tournament since the AIFF President was travelling and campaigning. If such an assurance had come earlier, as it certainly should have, things could have been "sorted out" and the standoff could have been avoided. So, it is more the responsibility of the AIFF than the clubs.

2. Chennai City co-owner Rohit Rangarajan said they had to take part in order to keep their hopes of playing in Asia in tact. By virtue of winning the I-League, Chennai will make their continental debut this year but for that, they will need the AIFF’s clearance. Rangarajan said this was an important factor that led to them breaking away from the I-League pack.

In that case, they should not have joined the pack in the first place.

3. But even if a consensus was reached and I-League clubs were allowed to play in the ISL, officials argue, will they be able to match the finances of an ISL franchise? And will the cash-strapped I-League clubs be able to provide ‘world-class’ dressing rooms, lush playing fields and other such facilities? “If you have to convince a Tim Cahill to play in India, can you have sub-standard facilities?” says an official.

Aizawl, for example, has never been seriously considered to host NorthEast United’s matches because of the treacherous travel conditions (the closest airport, Lengpui, is 30km away) and lack of plush hotels, which the ISL players are used to living in.

Granted that ISL franchises have world class facilities, playing fields, dressing rooms (besides having world-class celebrity owners and cheerleaders). I-league clubs are cash-strapped. Some introspection is necessary as to why they are cash-strapped. Solely for their own fault? And why are these franchises so flush with funds always? More importantly, has the presence of Tim Cahill helped to improve Indian football even by one inch, apart from helping to grab a few eyeballs? How many matches did he play and how many goals did he score? He was injured/unfit for most of the season and only came here to earn some easy bucks. Many better players have played in the ISL and it is for the best interests of Indian football that such overage foreigners do not come here to earn their pension.

Aizawl is not known for having the best travel conditions or providing plush hotels. It is known for providing opportunities to local players and for winning the country's premier league against adversities. Clubs like Aizawl, Shillong Lajong, United Sports, SCG have provided countless players to the NT throughout the years. They are famous for youth development. How many ISL clubs (except, for say a FC Pune City) have any provisions for youth development?

4. A FSDL official conceded these are ‘business decisions, not just based on football decision.’ Reliance, as a private entity funding a league, is expected to further its case

AIFF stands exposed through its other face, FSDL. It is being conceded that the football authorities are not taking decisions based on football/footballing merit, but based on business interests and very shady business interests, at that). So, one can say that it is they who are more "anti-football" than the clubs.
    Deb_Banmunna219777deepusparta
  • souravindiasouravindia 3616 Points
    ". But even if a consensus was reached and I-League clubs were allowed to play in the ISL, officials argue, will they be able to match the finances of an ISL franchise? And will the cash-strapped I-League clubs be able to provide ‘world-class’ dressing rooms, lush playing fields and other such facilities? “If you have to convince a Tim Cahill to play in India, can you have sub-standard facilities?” says an official."
    That's a big lol. What facilities have ISL clubs created?? The entire infrastructure was raised to world standards with U17 World Cup.. How many of these clubs actually have a club environment.. Full bullshit 
    goalkeeparDeb_Banmunna219777deepusparta
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9976 Points
    The rebellion of the IL clubs has at least brought the mainstream media's attention to the happenings in Indian football. PP & FSDL won't have a smooth sailing of destroying Indian football. Hope the clubs remain united.
    munna219777goalkeeparsparta
  • DEFENCE123DEFENCE123 India657 Points
    IMO there should be 20 team league with TV deal. There should also be 3 relegation and promotion slots and no playoffs
    goalkeepar
  • SamyajitSamyajit Kolkata1246 Points
    What happened to you @DEFENCE123? Seems like election effect is on!
    DEFENCE123munna219777goalkeeparDeb_Bansouravindiadeepusparta
    No...20 team league will be good because there will be around 8-10 derby matches and more ppl will be interested
    goalkeepar
    @goalkeepar Is Minerva vs RKFC match happening?
  • samsam 16458 Points