Indian Football News Updates

Comments

• Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9972 Points
    Beg to differ here. Assurance of meeting came only after a few matches of qualification round were over, IL clubs given walk overs. The club alliance requested for replay of the qualification rounds to enable the boycotting clubs to participate, which AIFF did not agree.

Now if at this stage the alliance agreed to play, then the boycotting clubs would have been ostracized by fed, which would have been clear backstabbing on parts of the alliance. The clubs, in a rare show of solidarity, remained on the boycott side. I appreciate this unity.

PP is is bullshitting now. "What is the point of meeting now, since they pulled out", he says. The 'point' is to discuss the future of IL and the clubs. That issue still stands, glaring on the crossroads.
    thebeautifulgamegoalkeeparDEFENCE123athi_bheekaranreddevil87souravindiamunna219777
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29716 Points
    Excellent article by IFN member @Punit Tripathi

'Am I a joke to you?' An Indian football fan asks the AIFF

This is going to be a funny piece, so why not start it on a similar note?

Am I a Joke To You refers to a reaction image of a stern-looking man with the caption "am I a joke to you?"

You must have encountered/shared/received this meme at some point in the past. An Indian football fan, waiting for a single league structure, relates to it, and asks the question in discussion to the governing body, the All India Football Federation, everytime they make a claim too utopian to be true.

In December 2018, President Praful Patel claimed that India can make it to the 2026 World Cup. It’s not the first time an AIFF official has made such a starry-eyed claim with nothing but mere words to back for it though. This has been the trend for the last few years, and blatant promises have been the order of the day.

Let us bring you to reality. For the first time in the history of Indian football, seven clubs have boycotted a major tournament organized by the AIFF, with no confidence or believe in the future. All these clubs want is a resolved roadmap to the future, but didn’t get it. After seven-odd months of coaxing and goading, the President gave relented and gave them a date for a meeting.

The future looks clear - its uncertain. The revolting clubs have proposed a plan, encompassing every angle and monetary requirement into the loop, but it looks unlikely to be put into action with ego battles in the way. Has your boss ever implemented your ideas when you’ve been at war against him? No way, right. Connect the dots yourself.

Never in history has such a standoff been seen in India. Sometimes, during the 70s, East Bengal and Mohun Bagan used to pull out of tournaments due to injuries to important players or their absence due to international call-ups. Salgaocar and other clubs ignored winter tournaments due to Christmas and because it was too cold in Delhi, but the number never touched five, let alone seven.

The big three Calcutta clubs - it used to be Calcutta back then - Mohammedan Sporting, East Bengal and Mohun Bagan boycotted a tournament was the 1979 Federation Cup in Guwahati. There was an anti-bengali feeling to the scenario and the Assam agitation was on. A similar situation, that basically has led to the formulation of the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill 2016, was prevalent at that time, and Bangladeshis had entered the state. It was a political stand-off, and certainly one that was reasonable for security reasons.

This one isn’t. Its footballing to the core, and something is clearly amiss that it has come down to this. Even I-league champions, the Chennai City FC, were part of this ‘rebel’ group until recently. They gave in, probably because they needed a go-ahead letter from the Federation to participate in the AFC Champions League, a slot they won while lifting the title.

If this case goes to the Court of Arbitration of Sport, the rebel group surely looks to be on the right side. Ranjit Bajaj, owner of Minerva Punjab FC, recently said in an interview that he intends to do so, and that may ring a bell that’s already nearing danger. Although recent developments have left the Minerva Punjab owner tweeting that he might be closing down the shop, like several others before. What next?

Another joke from the Federation. And it’ll go on until the death of Indian football. The AFC has already proposed a roadmap, but there must be something in it too that has stopped them from applying it. What could that be? Not the kind of financial hegemony they expect? Or not the kind of preference given to FSDL like it was, since the evolution of the Indian Super League?

It could be anything. Until it all resolves, we’d just live on memes and ask the same question again and again, “Are we a joke to you?” with the reaction image of a stern-looking man.

https://khelnow.com/news/article/indian-football-i-league-future-satire

souravindiaspartamunna219777Carbon_14
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29289 Points
    @sam talks like a mouthpiece of FSDL/AIFF in IFN.
    thebeautifulgameDEFENCE123BrainFallINDIAMikiatuljgkartik91
    No. I do not agree with the point he has made. As I have said, he sometimes goes over the top when making certain points about the ISL but he has, on many occasions, vehemently criticized AIFF/FSDL
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] 4984 Points
    edited April 2019
    First of all Why PP has been given 4 posts to handle at time? is this some kind of joke? can I (normal person) work in TATA and Reliance at a time ? no my employment will be terminated .. How can he attend meetings regularly in all these 4 places ? or these organisations will reschedule everytime for one person? since when one person has become greater than entire institution ?

if you look at the events, clubs had written to AIFF way long back and asked for meeting  which never happened?
    that was the reason this was dragged out. its not like clubs were not interested at all for playing, they went till Bhubaneswar and waited for assurance(everytime AIFF has convenient reason president is busy in elections or something else, damnit leave the post if you cant give the time) ... 

now I understand any institution wont allow arm twisting techniques as it sets dangerous *precedent that if you protest AIFF will listen anyhow which is bad as well but if timely meeting was arranged whole conflict would have been avoided
    You mean "dangerous precedent"

#English teacher always cribs B)
    [Deleted User]Deb_Banreddevil87ashindiagoalkeepar
  • I officially hate you  :D
    In human relationships hate is frequently a forerunner of love
                                                                                                     ---Sigmund Freud
    [Deleted User]Deb_Ban
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9972 Points
    Be thankful that Prof has not gone through your grammar.
    thebeautifulgamegoalkeepar[Deleted User]sparta

Chennai City's success while promoting local talent a lesson for most other clubs!

“Think local. Act global” - was the adage that rang true in the Indian football circles on Thursday when Chennai City, champions of I-League, shocked the Indian Super League (ISL) champions Bengaluru FC to progress to the semifinals of the ongoing Super Cup.

Forget the fact that Chennai City were playing with just four foreigners against a side which had some of the best-paid foreign players in India like Miku, Dimas Delgado, Juanan and the likes. Bengaluru FC boasted some of the creme de la creme of Indian players in Sunil Chhetri, Udanta Singh and Gurpreet Singh Sandhu.

But they came a cropper against a side which had sold some of its best players from last season and had relied on a host of local players. They had acquitted themselves well in the I-League but not many expected them to outgun an ISL side, that too the champions Bengaluru FC who have been a consistent team for the last two years.

The standout fact from this matchup was the number of local players that featured for both sides. Bengaluru FC had no player in the matchday squad from Karnataka while Chennai City had as many as five Tamil Nadu players in the first XI. And these players went toe-to-toe with the top Indian players of Bengaluru and emerged victorious at the end.

Edwin Vanspaul and Ajith Kamaraj were just brilliant, nullifying the threat of Udanta Singh and Sunil Chhetri on the wings and crippling Bengaluru FC.

It has to be noted that some of the key local names who were instrumental throughout the I-League campaign like Alexander Romario Jesuraj, Charles Lourdusamy, Pravitto Raju and Vijay Ponnurangam were not part of the Chennai City first XI in this game.

Not only was that a surprising factor, but also a heartening one. While Bengaluru FC have failed to produce one proper talent from Karnataka, here was Chennai City, hailing from a neighbouring state which also is not known for its passion for football, handing out chances to aspiring players from their region. And thereby, widening the national pool.

Don’t forget the fact that Chennai City brought out the likes of Michael Soosairaj and Sinivasan Pandiyan.

Owner Rohit Ramesh deserves a lot of credit in this regard. He has always been an advocate of bringing through local players, even during the initial days of the club in the I-League. In fact, one of the reasons behind former coach Robin Charles Raja, under whom Chennai City first played I-League, losing his job was the fact that he did not give many opportunities to local players.

Every team in the Indian Super League (ISL) is supposed to be named after the city or the state from which it operates out of. The idea being to create an identity which fans can relate to. While this was a good start for a nascent league, it’s about time for the league to ask the franchises to help promote talent from the state or the cities they are based out of.

Else what’s the point of running the club from a particular region when none of the 18 members of the matchday squad belong to the local region? The clubs may point that the state of affairs in the state isn’t the best but if an ISL or an I-League team cannot pick a player in their 18 from the local state, you have got to question the vision of the owner, club’s youth development coaches and even the head coach.

You may claim that the club is developing talent for India but the fact is that these clubs have to be made responsible to do something for the local players. And it isn’t that these local players are bad or not up to the standard. The point is what are the coaches doing if they cannot accommodate or include one player from the state. The question should be: Is football in your state so bad that you cannot pick one player in the senior team? And if it’s so bad, what have you done or what have your coaches done to improve the same?

Chennai City have proven that it is quite possible to promote local players and enjoy success, given you have a solid blueprint. Yes, Chennai City had a brilliant group of Spaniards on their books but it is worth noting that the Indian players adapted well to their foreign counterparts and their playing style.

Chennai City are one of the most pleasing attacking outfits in the country and the credit goes to their overseas players as well as the brilliant supporting cast, made up of talented local players. Most of these local players were picked the Chennai Football Association league, not even the state league.

They thought locally and acted globally (at least nationally)!

https://www.goal.com/en-in/news/super-cup-2019-chennai-city-bengaluru-fc-local-players/1slbxafl8axco1ca73s3d988j1

DEFENCE123samDeb_BanGamegoalkeeparRonnyatuljgtrojanindian_gooner