Indian Football News Updates

Comments

• Forging talent in Steel City

With FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter about to make New Delhi in India a stop on his tour of Asia, FIFA.com is devoting the latest Video of the Week to the best-known football academy in the vast nation of 1.2 billion souls.

Jamshedpur is situated in the east of the country, some four hours by train from Kolkata. Known to all and sundry as Steel City, and with a metropolitan area population of some 1.3 million, India’s first planned industrial city is now also home to the nation’s most gifted players.

Since its foundation in 1987, the Tata Football Academy (TFA) has provided the nation’s top talent with a four-year training programme, with the very best graduates hoping to be signed by the leading I-League clubs.

Every year, academy scouts closely observe the country’s most promising 14 to 15-year-old players. The ten best are invited to attend the TFA. The cost of a school education, football training and kit, and even a monthly sum in pocket money, are met by the Tata Steel Sports Foundation, an organisation dedicated to promoting and advancing sport in India.

In our Video of the Week feature, FIFA.com goes behind the scenes to examine day-to-day life and work at the academy, speaking to the school’s head coach and to one of the lucky youngsters about the opportunity of following in the footsteps of India’s footballing greats.

We’re sure you’ll enjoy this week’s video as you learn more about the training methods, personalities and life at the Tata Football Academy.

And yet they dont have a professional team. I think Tata Steel should think about it. "Jamshedpur Tata FC". These kids need a place to go and if they stay together it can only help them. Plus you already got a great stadium so why not take advantage.
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    i heard some time before that tfa academy once won the 2nd div championship then made the move not to play in top division(i dont know the reason)
  • shankar wrote:
    i heard some time before that tfa academy once won the 2nd div championship then made the move not to play in top division(i dont know the reason)

I think they were forced out if I recall. The AIFF said that no Academies can play in I-League as technically TFA is not a professional club.
  • if they become professional i wud suggest these names
    1. steel city fc
    2. jamshedpur steelers
    3. ironhearts fc
  • if they become professional i wud suggest these names
    1. steel city fc
    2. jamshedpur steelers
    3. ironhearts fc

Nice names but you would think that TATA would want there name somewhere. If you go to Jamshedpur the name TATA is everywhere. Maybe Tata City FC or Jamshedpur Tata FC or even Ironhearts Tata FC.
    India to Present Emerging Market Workshop at Soccerex

http://www.worldfootballinsider.com/Story.aspx?id=35008

some top officials from indian football structure gonna be presenting indian football at a world stage..
    would be interesting to see what is the outcome of this meet!!
  • shankar wrote:
    India to Present Emerging Market Workshop at Soccerex

http://www.worldfootballinsider.com/Story.aspx?id=35008

some top officials from indian football structure gonna be presenting indian football at a world stage..
    would be interesting to see what is the outcome of this meet!!

Das: Hello we are excited to be here tonight to show what we will do for Football in India along with IMG.

Patel: Yes we will. Now please Mr. Das explain.

Das: For the 2012-13 season the I-League will have 18 clubs in the I-League and I-League 2nd Division. We will do promotion/relegation between the two leagues. The I-League will be separated into conferences of East and West. At the end of the season we will do play-offs. In terms of teams in the league we have decided to have to following...

I-League- Dempo SC, Salgaocar SC, Churchill Brothers SC, Sporting Goa, Vasco SC, East Bengal, Mohun Bagan, Pailan Arrows, Mohammedan, Pune FC, Mumbai FC, Air India FC, HAL SC, Chirag United Kerala, United Sikkim, Royal Wahingdoh, Shillong Lajong and ONGC FC.

I-League 2nd Division- Kalighat FC, Bhawanipore FC, random clubs I am to lazy to write.

Media: But Mr. Das how will you market the league? Will it be like IPL or WSH?

Das: What? Marketing? Oh that, we have a high special team working on that.

Media: Who are they.

Das: Uh, uh, uh, just people.

Media: But wait, will you guys have as much success as IPL or WSH.

Das: Uh ya, I say around 2% of there support.
    lol had this meeting been held in parliment and they presented this way more politicians would have get involved into indian football as they would be assured that they dont need to work and gain some more money
  • shankar wrote:
    lol had this meeting been held in parliment and they presented this way more politicians would have get involved into indian football as they would be assured that they dont need to work and gain some more money

You may be right man. I would have shat myself if that is what happened. But seriously I am worried about what they will say when they go to that convention.
  • spartasparta Jamshedpur FC2074 Points
    It the decision of the management of the TFA that they wont play in 1st division as most of the team was graduating that year and they had no plans to go professional at that point of time or in near future.
    TFA plays in Jamshedpur league and is champion year after year so it's quite popular out here and even the name TFA would have been fine :) . People go to Keenan to watch TFA vs TATA Steel matches as you can call that match as derby of Jamshedpur.

I don't have hope that they will form a professional club in the near future.