Indian Football News Updates

Comments

• debarghya89debarghya89 7326 Points
    Chandigarh would be perfect..Even better than Delhi..Dont know whether the city has a stadium or not
  • coolgagancoolgagan 1109 Points
    As a person originally from punjab i am 100% sure that people of chandigarh dont like football that much....its just cricket,hockey,kabbadi over here
  • 7negi7negi India10890 Points
    Football is played at village part of Punjab not city part ..

Read this article then u will know what football means to villagers in punjab 

http://www.thebetterindia.com/11711/gurmangal-dass-football-punjab-sports-development-village-rurkakalan/
    munna219777
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    After looking at the average attendance of the I-League teams from 2013-14 I would hope the AIFF is smart about this. Bengaluru FC may be the 6th best team there in the attendance category but they sure as hell lead by a lot when it comes to the ratio of how many fans attend to how many seats are available. They are almost at 100% in that aspect while Bagan, our highest attended club, would probably be below 20%.

What I am trying to say here is that I would really like the AIFF to go hard on this and not just allow any corporate to get a club. Give them a criteria. Any corporate or city that wants an I-League team must have a suitable AFC-passed stadium available for use, the owners must prove that they are committed to the cause and that they have the money needed, that the city or state is suitable for a team, and/or that a fan base already exists or is potentially there to be tapped. If they can do this than bring them in, this attendance report is a real eye opener.
    munna219777
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    At Sree Kanthareeva Stadium, we will see that how much % of the seats is occupied.  If it stays 8000 out of 25000 is like 33% occupancy. Shillong Lajong occupancy is like 11000 out of 25000, so roughly 45%.
    Sad to see that two clubs out of top 5, Rangdajied and Mohammedan Sporting are being removed while Panauti club like Mumbai FC will again play next year with 321 spectators on average in Pune Balewadi Stadium.
    ArsenalFan700goalkeepar
    If Bengaluru FC maintains that number or only goes up to 10,000 then I consider that a success. The second season is always the one where "reality" sets in, the novelty of the team fades, and the real fans start the remain. Hopefully JSW invests in a good marquee to keep fans interested.

To be honest, I could care less for any of the clubs that left. This is India, we should be expecting every team to be above 10,000 in attendance and these two teams play in Shillong and Kolkata, not small places at all. Why can't RUFC or MSC get to 10,000 fans when their rivals can? Same with the rest of the league. For Pune, they play in a 22,000 seater yet can only manage 2,500 a game. Meanwhile @Ashlesh was right, Goan football is really falling in attendance. Sporting Goa at the bottom? What gives?

This report is a god send as it reveals the ground reality but also allows us to analysis and see where we can improve and how.
    Deb_Bangoalkeepar
    I love point 5. Football is a sport where young people should be excited to follow. Going to a sports game should be fun and exciting. During the IPL it is a party atmosphere. In England, during football matches, it is a party atmosphere.

We need that in India. It is as much the experience as the quality on the pitch.
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9957 Points
    The attendance data were interesting. 

I-league average attendance is 5,026. For the top six, it is 9,809 which is not too bad for an uncared-for and ill-managed league. MB, SLFC, EB, RUFC, MSC, and BFC are above average, while the rest are below. Surprising is the numbers for MB (general perception is EB supporters go to the stadium more than them). Bigger surprise is SLFC's attendance (more than EB). Feel sad for the next two: RUFC and MSC; clearly, their managements have let the supporters down.

MB/EB, if shift to their own grounds, will restrict their growth. The capacities of their grounds are 22,000-23,000. With Bucket seats this will reduce to, say, 17,000. Though the overall viewing experience will be much better (a different story), both of them will have bottlenecks there.

More surprises are in the attendance figures of the 'derbies'. At least two derbies have non-Kolkata teams (MSC-Dempo, SLFC-RUFC). and one is totally outside Kolkata (SLFC- RUFC). We knew football is popular outside Bengal alright, but these huge figures show the real potential. The future sponsor should look hard into these figures and target these figures. 

The Goan clubs have above 40% occupancy (except SCG, who are at 27%), considering Duler capacity, which is not bad if viewed in context. Bengaluru tops at 78%, and with an average of 7,038, they are bound to be a bigger draw at a bigger venue. I thought Mumbai have at least 500 spectators, but they broke my heart at 321.

Anybody care to imagine what happens if matches are held in the evening and with better foreigners coming and better marketing? Should we up the figures by 25%? Not a 'failed' league, then. By any means, no.
    ArsenalFan700
  • CybertronCybertron 402 Points
    Mumbai FC should come forward on this issue. Why there is low attendance for Mumbai FC during I-league matches?
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29251 Points
    Mumbai fc should come forward and fight for there right to play in cooperage
    munna219777ArsenalFan700