IMG-Reliance sponsored AIFF's IPL style league

Comments

• gaffertapegaffertape 13021 Points
    Mumbai Tigers will probably play IMG-RELIANCE league instead
  • JoyptanJoyptan 295 Points
    Joyptan wrote: »
    IMG-Reliance call for a discussion on loaning of players for their tournament with the I-league clubs

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/1064/i-league/2013/09/04/4236387/img-reliance-call-for-a-discussion-on-loaning-of-players-for?ICID=HP_BN_2

From the article - “[We] are working with a renewed focus on marketing and promotion, with an aim to increase multifold, the existing viewership and fan base in the I-League.”

They are still working.... :P
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    Why can they not just admit that the plan is to destroy the I-League but in a more slow, convincing fashion. A way in which it will look like there was nothing IMG could do.<div><br></div><div>And just for the record, I am not fully opposed to this. I mean, I have been a supporter of a franchise league since a few months after I came on IFN but not like this. The IPL-Style and the overrating of the marquee rule is the killer for me.</div><div><br></div><div>Also, just to go deeper into the marquee rule, IMG do use MLS as an example. Here is the current list of "marquees" in MLS (We call them designated players): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_Player_Rule#Current_Designated_Players</div><div><br></div><div>What do you notice about that list? When you see the term "marquee" player you think of guys like David Beckham, Thierry Henry, Hernan Crespo, Alessandro Del Pirlo etc. Then how come in MLS we have guys like Alvaro Saborio, Oswaldo Minda, Gabriel Torres as "marquees". They are not big names that will draw more fans. </div><div><br></div><div>That is why I get pissed when MLS is used as an example by guys like Baichung and the like for this sham. Sure, we have Thierry Henry and Obafemi Martins who are known guys abroad but most of our guys are just guys who will improve a team. Why is Gabriel Torres a "marquee" by the Rapids? Not because he will all of a sudden bring that team fans but because he will greatly improve the team and that his salary was to big to add to the salary cap. That is it.</div><div><br></div><div>This is where I think IMG will fall. They consider a marquee a Raul or Henry type player when in reality a marquee should just be guy who would greatly improve a team and who happens to have a big salary. IMG will not see this and instead will continue to bring peoples hopes up by using "marquee" and "Beckham, Henry" in the same sentence or something like that.</div><div><br></div><div>Okay... rant over. :)</div>
  • IMG is destroying I-league by not showing it on TV. <br>
    IMG is destroying I-league by not showing it on TV. <br>

<br><div><br></div><div>I don't see how that exactly ruins the league other than us fans not watching it. From a business point of view nothing has really changed. We never gained any money from telecasting before (teams at least) and this would be no different.</div><div><br></div><div>Also, I do not believe the lack of telecast will prevent us from gaining more fans. We barely gained fans before from it and it wont happen again.</div>
  • If you show, it will grow. If you dont show any games, how will it become popular. <br> With negative mindset of IMG, nothing can be achieved. Even DD Sports is showing Durand Cup.  Its like not studying for an exam because student knows that he will fail. <br>
  • IMG is destroying I-league by not showing it on TV. <br>

<br><div><br></div><div>I don't see how that exactly ruins the league other than us fans not watching it. From a business point of view nothing has really changed. We never gained any money from telecasting before (teams at least) and this would be no different.</div><div><br></div><div>Also, I do not believe the lack of telecast will prevent us from gaining more fans. We barely gained fans before from it and it wont happen again.</div>

<br><br>Ten Action is showing live telecast of French League. How good business sense is that? How many fans are there of French Football in India? Surely I-league viewership can beat French League unless IMG motive is to destroy Indian Football so that IPL Black money to white money conversion tournament starts???<br>
    IMG is destroying I-league by not showing it on TV. <br>

<br><br>Ten Action is showing live telecast of French League. How good business sense is that? How many fans are there of French Football in India? Surely I-league viewership can beat French League unless IMG motive is to destroy Indian Football so that IPL Black money to white money conversion tournament starts???<br>

<br><div><br></div><div>Depends on how much money Ligue 1 gets from this. Surely they must get some viewers (more than I-League easily) if they are being broadcasted that much. Also I am sure teams like Lyon, Marsellie, PSG etc can rank in some fans as well from all around India.</div>
This discussion has been closed.