2019 AFC Asian Cup & 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers

Comments

• ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    "Currently you could argue none of the top ten players in MLS are Americans for the first time in the league’s history."

That is a good thing, you want that. That means that the better Americans are going abroad, which they are. DeAndre Yedlin, Matt Miazga etc. would be among the best in MLS if they were still there.

Fuck, Kartik Krishnaiyer (and fuck WorldSoccerTalk as well). I don't like the recent moves made by Gulati but the man was still there through the US's rise as a soccer nation over the last two decades and if you read into his background, he is humble and a hard worker. Sunil deserves the chance to try and fix this IMO and I believe he can.

Kartik is just butt hurt that is NASL is dying.
    munna219777archak
  • mohammed_87hassanmohammed_87hassan Sumeet Passin FC Jupiter10448 Points
    USA Knocked Out of WC 
    Australia struggling

But we try to copy their structure 
    deepumunna219777NagendragoalkeeparArsenalFan700gaffertapesanvedjadhavRonny7negiDXand 2 others.
  • usaindiausaindia 1671 Points
    Because they are the best at making money :)
    MaddieDeb_Ban
  • munna219777munna219777 28514 Points
    Very good point made by @mohammed_87hassan. Some pundits have commented that USA and Australia have compromised their National Teams in order to save MLS owners and their investments. We are in a very nascent stage in comparison. 
    Deb_Banindian_goonerRatulgoalkeeparCarbon_14
  • @ArsenalFan700, so trump becomes the president and USA didn't qualify. Atleast Barack Obama was so interested in sports.
    karenesudhakar2050
    @mohammed_87hassan I don't even know where to start with you. Not the first time you made a comment like this.

Do you know that the US didn't get into the World Cup ahead of Honduras, Panama, and Costa Rica? Where do a lot of the players on those teams play? MLS. In yesterdays Panama-Costa Rica game, what league did all three goalscorers come from? MLS.

For Australia. What country won the AFC Asian Cup two years ago? Australia. What country did well during the Confederations Cup? Australia. What league did Premier League starters Mat Ryan and Aaron Mooy come from? The A-League in Australia!

The American and Australian struggles are not because of their structures! You and others like @munna219777 don't know because you two barely even follow football in those countries. Fucking hell, the American MLS players who played last night are not even among the best Americans in MLS! It is so skewed right now the arguments it is insane! Australia is struggling because Ange Postecoglu is an idiotic head coach who has favorites such as Brad Smith who he persists with, a tactic (3 at the back) he continues to use even though it clearly doesn't mix well, and he makes weird line-up choices. For the US, we had a shit coach in Bruce Arena who chose horrendous players because they are "tried and tested"!
    gaffertapearchak[Deleted User]The real AGmunna219777Ronnygopiajeeshashindiamohammed_87hassanDeb_Banand 2 others.
  • ashindiaashindia 9257 Points
    I have to say Australia NT players have degraded off late. I remember they used be so strong in 2006 WC. Even with USA i feel the same. I think coaches are responsible to an certain extent but players they have at disposal are not as good as before. 

But yes no excuses for USA they certainly are better than Panama & Honduras. I expect them to come back strong they certainly have got some amazing talent coming through.
    Deb_Bansparta
    We have a 22-year old goalkeeper who is the #1 with the best team in Belgium right now. Why he wasn't called up over mediocre overaged guys is beyond me lol. We also have 22 year old centerback Matt Miazga in the Netherlands where he was on the Eredivisie Team of the Week right before international break... he wasn't called up either for some reason. DeAndre Yedlin is 24 and is starting for Newcastle United now. Bobby Wood is also 24 and starting in the Bundesliga but honestly should probably drop down to the 2. Bundesliga or move to Belgium. Cameron Carter-Vickers is 19 years old (centerback) and has just broken in as a starter for 3rd place Championship side Sheffield United on loan from Tottenham. John Brooks is also a 24 year old centerback who started for Hertha Berlin last season.

And that is only younger guys who have sort of broke out. Jonathan Klinsmann was amazing during the U20 World Cup earlier this year. Eric Palmer-Brown is a 20 year old centerback who did great with Porto's B team last season and is set to go to Europe. Justen Glad is a starter already for Real Salt Lake at age 20. Tyler Adams is an 18 year old central midfielder for my Red Bulls with a great pass on him and rough physical prowess. Weston McKennie has slowly played a few first team games for Schalke 04 at age 18. And then you have the under-17 guys!

Sorry to go on but honestly, I think the US just needs a coach who knows what they are doing. Jurgen Klinsmann was great for the US, he brought in players who brought something to the US and was harsh on those who didn't play well but the problem was his man management style clashing with the end of the old generation of US soccer players. Bruce Arena is just a shit head coach.

Bring in someone like David Wagner, Aitor Karanka, or even Frank de Boer and the US can see some great results for 2022 IMO.
  • 7negi7negi India10890 Points
    Take stephen may be