2019 AFC Asian Cup & 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers

Comments

• munna219777munna219777 28514 Points
    He cannot be without Passport/citizenship even for one day. That will be a Stateless Asylum seeker. It is not that Aryn Williams has left his Australian Passport already. Once he takes Indian citizenship, then only he can renunciate his Australian citizenship - probably 30 days window is given.
    goalkeeparsparta
    The Draw for AFC Asian Cup 2018 will be held on 4th May at Armani Hotel, Burj Khalifa, Dubai.
    Carbon_14deepuSOCCER4kldebarghya89Nagendraindian_gooner
  • RatulRatul Howrah1323 Points

I am a big fan of Jeje, says Chetri

‘We should play plenty of away games against good sides ahead of 2019 Asian Cup’

Our Special Correspondent May 04, 2018 01:37 IST
    New Delhi: Sunil Chetri feels India should play a series of friendly matches away from home as part of their preparations for the 2019 Asian Cup final rounds in January next.

On Friday, the Indian captain, along with national coach Stephen Constantine will be present in Dubai when the much-awaited draw for the championships is held. India are in Pot Three along with Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Palestine, Oman and Vietnam. The draw will be held at 9pm (IST).

Chetri along with Iran’s Ali Daei, the top scorer in the 1996 Asian Cup, former China and Manchester City star Sun Jihai, and the Philippines’ Philip Younghusband have been specially chosen to be present while selecting the teams from the four pots.

Chetri said playing the Asian Cup final rounds only for the fourth time in history is a unique opportunity, which should not be allowed to go waste.

“From the federation side, let’s make sure we get the best training and play against the best possible side. We should play lots of away games because we have to play the tournament in Dubai away from India,” said Chetri.

“As far the players are concerned, they have to work really hard till we reach Dubai in December. We have qualified and that’s hugely creditable. But let us not forget we are going to play against top teams like the UAE, Australia, Japan and South Korea.

“All the players should train hard and play top-level preparatory matches. We should not forget we are going to play against top professional sides,” added the Indian striker.

“We worked hard to reach the top level and we now want to enjoy being there. And to do that we have to fully prepared and play really well,” Chetri said.

Having scored 54 international goals, Chetri is currently India’s all time highest goal-scorer and the All Football Federation (AIFF) has decided to recommend his name for the Padma Shri. The India captain, however, heaped praise on fellow striker Jeje Lalpekhlua saying he was India’s most effective player.

“Jeje has been outstanding for his clubs and the country. I am a big fan of him. Jeje plays an important role in our scheme of things under Constantine. He is the best player we have… He may not be attractive but he is very effective,” said Chetri about Jeje, whose name has been recommended for Arjuna Award.

Asked whether he could soon be counted among country’s all time greatest players, Chetri, who also played a major role in India’s qualification in 2011 Asian Cup, laughed and said he was yet to give a thought to such an issue.

“Right now I don’t think about it at all. Right now, it is all about what I am doing. I get motivated by the love of the game. Now I only think about the next match,” Chetri said.

https://www.telegraphindia.com/sports/i-am-a-big-fan-of-jeje-says-chetri-227980?ref=sports-new-stry

deepu
  • MaddieMaddie ಮೈಸೂರು(Mysuru) / Canada2975 Points
    edited May 2018
    Sunil Chettri will be part of draw ceremony today at 9 Pm IST
    munna219777
  • shibiershibier 2996 Points
    Football fans in Saudi , Bahrain , UAE and Egypts have a common problem , which is not very simple. Its nothing but  buyers of World cup sports rights in ME is  Qatari TV - BeIN Sports. Considering that Saudi and Egypt are playing in the world cup, fans are finding different unauthorized  measures to watch the matches. Authorities also warned that any shop found selling or renewing subscriptions to the sports channels would be subject to fines. 

For beIN, which is financed by the Qatari government, the fallout is starting to affect business across the Middle East and Africa, where it has millions of sports-loving subscribers. Viewers in the United Arab Emirates had their signals blocked for six weeks before the authorities there recently reinstated the channel. BeIN reporters have been harassed at stadiums, or removed from them to face stern questioning by the police. And in Saudi Arabia, vendors selling beIN Sports have been shut down, and marketing activities promoting the company are no longer allowed.

However In Egypt , its another issue. Israel Tv who has own the rights agrees to broadcast world cup in Egypt and other neighboring countries with arabic commentary. For football fans its matter of relief  but many others opposed this as they seriously doubts some political matters will be imbued along with the broadcast.

munna219777Deb_BanspartaCarbon_14indian_gooner
    What about Al-Jazeera then? It is also Qatar based. Blocked in other Arab countries?
  • BrainFallINDIABrainFallINDIA India7111 Points
    Bein Sports should consider India .
    They are rich and knows their job.
    Will give a much needed competition to Star .
    munna219777
    edited May 2018
    Can see many Arab Sheikhs walking around in the link on AFC website. Any YouTube ??
  • samsam 16441 Points
    edited May 2018
    The one I posted is actually an YT link. There will be no other link for the draw.