India in Rio Olympics 2016

Comments

• munna219777munna219777 28557 Points
    edited August 2016

Here is India's schedule for August 14 (Sunday) in Rio de Janeiro

Athletics
     Women's Marathon - OP Daisha, Kavita Raut - 6 PM IST

Badminton
     Men's doubles group stage Manu Attri/Sumeeth Reddy Vs Kenichi Hayakawa/Hiroyuki Endo (Japan) - 4.35 AM IST
    Women's singles group stage
     Saina Nehwal Vs Marija Ulitina (Ukraine) - 5.25 PM IST
     PV Sindhu Vs Michelle Li (Canada) - 7.45 PM IST
     Men's singles group stage
    Kidambi Srikanth Vs Henri Hurskainen (Sweden) - 7.10 PM IST

Boxing

Men's light welter 64kg (Round of 16) - Manoj Kumar Vs Fazliddin Gaibnazarov (Uzbekistan) - 9.15 PM IST

Gymnastics
    (Vault Final) Dipa Karmakar - 11.17 PM IST

Hockey

Men's quarter-final - India Vs Belgium - 9 PM IST

Shooting
     Men's 50m Rifle 3 Positions qualification - Chain Singh, Gagan Narang - 5.30 PM IST

Carbon_14
  • BadBad 5146 Points
    edited August 2016
    I am not even feeling bad now.I have seen individuals buckling under pressure which is understandable but for a country of 120 crore buckling like this is unbelievable.I mean guys,not even 10 people can stand up and take the responsibility out 120 crore.              
    Again,we were were the only seeded team left in Final four of Tennis, Gold was there for the taking let alone a medal but again we lost from a commanding position.
    Also,since we have been cursed,you check out we will be finishing 4th.
    Really disappointed,really ashamed and really embarrassed.

I know we lack world class infrastructure, coaches but still guys we should be wining at least 10 medals ideally.

Surely,we have to change this attitude which is as follows:-

1)How did you qualify managed to qualify for Olympics?
    Ans) It was my hardwork.

2)Why didn't you win a medal?
    Ans)We don't have proper infrastructure.

munna219777Domnicreddevil87kartik91
  • munna219777munna219777 28557 Points
    edited August 2016
    @Bad ;;We have to stop celebrating this "Qualification" mindset. Qualifying is just one step, one need to improve our performance several notches up to win medal.

People think that they are great and amongst the top just because they have qualified for the Olympics.

I will give one example. There are 34 competitors at one category in Judo. Our Indian player also qualified. But that does not mean that our Indian player is in top 34 players of the world. There must be 50 better players then him in Japan alone. But the Olympic Qualification rules are such that Japan can send only one player in Olympics in that category in Judo. When our Indian player (qualified due to zonal criteria) compete against Japanese, the gulf in class is apparent. That Japanese is better then 50 other Japanese who can thrash that Indian.

Why do Japanese win Gold Medal in Judo? They regularly hold competitons at home and keep on selcting the best players year after year-young and younger, better  and who will win for them in future.
    Why do Indians lose? They look for somebody who was at peak many years ago and hype his/her qualification.No matter how much money you spend on training, if he is not at the level, no product will come out.

As the Indian player is confirmed qualification because there is hardly any competition in India-National meets, Zonal championships, National Games are very irregular-same weakling Indian will keep selecting every time due to politics, influence, lack of new talent due to absence of competition and keep getting trashed at the Olympics.
    We hardly organise any international meets in different sports. We were so good in Boxing in 2010 - then we hardly organised any National or International meet after that. Next Olympics we will have zero boxers-talent just stopped.

Our Olympic medalists Bindra, Sushil, Yogeswar, Malleswari, Vijender when they won medals were really good and deserving. They were not celebrating "Qualification".

This is the first time I have seen that media was generating hype on qualifying for Olympics-not for medal hopefuls.

Any sportsperson whose peak is Qualification will never win any medal.

Find 50 players close to qualification mark, then you will find 1 champion who can win medals.

arunskumarnamewtheldDomnicdebarghya89thebeautifulgamesanvedjadhavshibierashindiaarchakkartik91
  • DomnicDomnic 2309 Points
    Disgraceful show by India till now. When will ache din come. Do saal ho gaye. I again stand by what I said earlier, athletes should not be sent for fuck sake (eg Women's hockey team). There should be prroper introspection before sending players/teams to the Olympics.

We Indians are happy just to see our players at the olympics and argue that they are competing with the world. Kaunsa compete kaar rahe hai ye log, they just chicken out every time.

The Indian  public at large should change their mindset above mediocracy and stop this non sense thinking of just being satisfied to be at the Olympics. 
    munna219777archak
  • BadBad 5146 Points
    edited August 2016
    Guys,no body Celebrates Qualification with regards to events in Which we are/were decent.We only highlighted those Athletes who were not fancied I.e Gymnastics,Athletics etc.

No one went overjoyed when the likes of Yogeshwar,Abhinav etc qualified.

Eg)Dutee's best was 11.73 sec in Jan 2016.In a space of 6 months she bettered it and broke the National Record and now her personal best stands at 11.24 sec.
    She became first women in 36 yrs to qualify so it is quite Commendable.That is why we highlighted it.

Bhaiyon,no one knows who will win a medal and what color it will be.If an Athlete has qualified on merit,he/she definitely be send as you don't know what mind happen.

Many lower ranked or unfancied people have won Medals in past,so whoever qualifies should be sent otherwise you will not improve.
  • BadBad 5146 Points
    I suggest we do a thorough analysis of our Performances once the games are over.I have seriously got something in mind which we can actually do in future.
  • debarghya89debarghya89 7328 Points
    The hype was apparent when everywhere you see this is the largest Indian contingent ever and all that.. Agree that it's not good to send athletes just for the sake of making up numbers. 
    munna219777
  • BadBad 5146 Points
    Djokovic lost first round,Serena lost, Serena and Venus lost.

Leicester won,Portugal won,Greece won.

So noone can predict what will happen. Hence,all those who qualify should be sent.

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India30184 Points
    Logged in now and read abort the Sania-Bopanna loss. Heartbreaking. Guess we have to  depend now on our shuttlers, wrestlers, boxers and (hoping and against hope) the hockey team and maybe a bronze from this mixed doubles pair....some crumbs of comfort
    munna219777
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India30184 Points