India in Rio Olympics 2016

Comments

• munna219777munna219777 28557 Points
    @samiam Mexico has won 62 medals all time count in Olympics.  India is like 26 medals. Mexico even hosted Olympics in 1968. We dont see ourselves catching up Mexico in all-time medal count as well as hosting Olympics in our lifetime.

• munna219777munna219777 28557 Points
    @Bad My question about signing up deals and then infleunce on selection was about individual events only, not team events. Politics is there in sending which favoured sportsperson to the event where it is easiest to achieve minimum qualification criteria.

Look at the list of players signed up by these two companies who infleunce Federations as well as selections-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Gold_Quest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglian_Medal_Hunt_Company

How many of them were found dud or wanting in this Olympics?

People carrying injuries and those who hardly pariticipated in any competition over last 1 year are there in Rio as they are signed up with a Powerful Company who in turn do CSR Tax exemptions for Big Businessman and marketing for them. There is nothing legally wrong in that but these things lead to humiliation of the country at the Olympics as deserving sportspersons do not reach the big stage and those who should not have been here are there. A small cartel at the top keep on selecting their people again and again.

• BadBad 5146 Points
    edited August 2016
    Bro(Munna),I feel there is no easy event to qualify at the Olympics.To qualify for Olympics you have to devote a major part of your life.Its not like they have qualified for an event while training for 6-8 months.These Athletes have done training throughout their life's to qualify.These companies have come into the picture lately.Apart from one or two Athletes (who I don't know),all these Athletes have major Achievements at Asian,Commonwealth level atleast if not at World level.

Also,there are some sports where Quotas are Alloted to the country (eg Boxing, Wrestling) where Anyone can be sent irrespective of the person who has earned the quota but there are also certain sports where the quota is alloted to a specific Individual and not a country(eg Badminton,Tennis). ex)Say Saina was was ranked top 5 and earned a quota in Singles but is now injured.So in these case either she'll go and no one will go.Her place can't be taken by the likes of Tanvi Lad,Pv Sindhu etc.Similarily Tennis works.So,Manipulation etc isn't possible in these cases.

Khushbir Kaur won a silver at Asian Games. This was some sort of a record (like Only medal that we have won ever in that category ,I am not fully sure but was a record of some sort).How can a company influence her participation?Because she would have qualified and since she has been the only one to do so that means we don't have any other Athlete of her level.Thus,no influence is possible.

Regarding Gagan Narang he represented us at 2012 Olympics in the same 3 events in which he has represented us at 2016 Olympics.There was no company then,so he qualified on merit.Since he qualified then on merit,he could have surely qualified this time as well.

Vijay Kumar,silver at 2012 Olympics,didnt qualify this time.Hence,not a part of Olympics squad.No influence by the company.

Pinki Jangra represented India and won Bronze at 2014 Commonwealth Games,Mary Kom won Gold at 2014 Asian Games(same category).Who would you have picked to represent India at likes of World Championship etc,obviously Mary.

So,i don't feel Company can influence individual sports.
    munna219777sanvedjadhav
  • usaindiausaindia 1671 Points
    i think  olympic gold quest  is not bad,
    look at the people involved
    http://www.olympicgoldquest.in/team.html
    i think they supplied people with resources.
    karenesudhakar2050
  • samsam 16526 Points
    edited August 2016
    @munna219777 this is not good. Sometimes Wikipedia is not required  ;)  
    munna219777
  • spartasparta Jamshedpur FC2074 Points
    Let's go after Lin Dan.

And Sindhu  can do wonders,a real real real and the only medal hope for the time being 
    munna219777
  • samiamsamiam 1614 Points
    @munna219777 bro that's as useless as saying India won highest gold medals overall in hockey and Mexico won none ,why are you bringing overall tally into this ,talk about current Olympics 

As for hosting Olympics is concerned there is no hurry to do that ,if we want to we can host it just a matter of time you never know now that our aunty is in IOC that time may come sooner than you think 

I am not of the opinion that we should host it at least not for now 
    munna219777namewtheldCarbon_14
  • debarghya89debarghya89 7328 Points
    When is the PV Sindhu match?
  • mohammed_87hassanmohammed_87hassan Sumeet Passin FC Jupiter10481 Points
  • Hardeep singh just lost!!