India in Rio Olympics 2016

Comments

• NagendraNagendra Rajahmundry, A.P6771 Points
    guys...

I'm watching 400 m finals (recap)..... what a performance by Wayde van Niekerk (SA)...  Definitely South Africans are not chokers in Olympics..... kudos to him & congrats to podium finishers..... nice gesture by London Olympic champion Kirani James (Grenada) as well...

400 m in 43.03 that too starting from lane 8th is pretty much difficult...

During my schooling, my aim is to run below 55 seconds and never thought of 52 seconds mark as it is quite impossible for me to better 1 second itself in 400 meters.... and here 43 seconds... wow...
    munna219777Bad
  • EastBengalPrideEastBengalPride India9301 Points
    @Nagendra Replacements or not, no unfit player should represent the nation. Saina Vikas were unfit and should have been removed. By being dishonest they have betrayed the nation. Past achievements are in the past, the world doesn't care about bygones and so shouldn't we.
    munna219777Nagendrakuldeep007Domnicreddevil87
  • BadBad 5146 Points
    Guys,i think I am not able to communicate well.Our Athletes have choked this times,which is a fact.This doesn't mean we can't improve or we have choked all throughout our History.

There have been some events where we have exceeded our expectations.

When I said, we are Chokers this is strictly with respect to this Olympics"2016".
  • BadBad 5146 Points
    edited August 2016
    Nagendra,when I said I wanted to share something after the Olympics,I was also willing to share about contributing as a Society, Community with respect to sending our children to different Sports.Lets have a discussion and perhaps, we all agree to send our children across into different Sports so that perhaps one day they might do well at Olympics and represent India in a way in which India deserves to be represented.
    Nagendramunna219777
  • munna219777munna219777 28557 Points
    edited August 2016
    Role of Corporates and their sponsorships need to be investigated also. Olympic Gold Quest, Anglian Medal Hunt, JSW and this type of funds ensure that their players keep getting selected, get media bytes and with their hold on associations, they do not let national/international meets happen so that competitiors to their players come up. In short they sort of protect and ensure that their player represent india, whether fit or best or not.  India has become joke so that some businessman can show invoices for tax exemption.

In 2012 Olympics, when India got 6 medals, people were complaining that government is corrupt, only 6 medals and so on. Now what happened? We have a non-corrupt government? Medals became ZERO ? Only hype, marketing and chest thumping - nothing else.
    Nagendrareddevil87
  • munna219777munna219777 28557 Points

The Indian contingent’s schedule on day 10 of the Rio Olympics here:

(All times in IST)

ATHLETICS (All IST):

Lalita Babar, Steeplechase Final — 1945hrs

Ranjith Maheshwary, Men’s Triple Jump — 1800hrs

Srabani Nanda, Women’s 200m — 1824hrs

Seema Punia, Women’s Discus — 0620hrs (Aug 16)

BADMINTON:

Kidambi Srikanth, Men’s Singles pre-quarters — 1730hrs

PV Sindhu, Women’s Singles pre—quarters — 0200hrs (Aug16)

BOXING:

Vikas Krishan, Men’s 75 kg Quarters — 0330hrs (Aug 16)

WRESTLING:

Ravinder Khatri, Men’s Greco-Roman 85kg Qualification — 2030hrs
    NagendraBad
  • BadBad 5146 Points
    Munna,i feel corporate pressure and all can be there in Team Sports but In Individual events there is very less possibility of Pressure,influence etc.If you qualify only then you can go to Olympics. So,pressure or influence factor will be slightly less.Yes,but certainly in Team events they can influence but that also only Hockey team qualifies.
  • EastBengalPrideEastBengalPride India9301 Points
    I think Sports Ministry should provide result based finding to Federations. No medals no money. 
  • The Indian contingent did not choke, I applaud the athletes who gave their best so far. Let's not ignore the real problem which has little to do with facilities or corruption (faced by many more accomplished sporting countries). 

There are simply not enough world class athletes in the country for a few reasons we gloss over as indians:

1) We are a very unhealthy, short country due to diet. India is the most vegetarian country in the world and generations of poor eating create bad athletes in the game of evolution. Protein (largely from meat) is a stable of all cultural diets but south asians. I see out of shape indians of all religions adhering to carb heavy, high fat, meatless meals on a regular basis.

2) Cricket is the only sport played by any Indian with enough physical standards to play a sport (cricket too doesn't exactly require any physical specimens). 

3) Do the consistent failure of non-cricket sports domestically and internationally, no indian family allows their child to take a large risk and pursue a non-cricket sport professionally.
    namewtheldNagendrafootydipshibierreddevil87kartik91
  • 4) Almost everyone in India gets an arranged marriage. Looks and taking care of yourself physically are not very important to most men as they will be married regardless. Wealth matters much more, thus they have little incentive to workout much and more incentive to become an engineer.
    Nagendrasamiamreddevil87