India in Rio Olympics 2016

Comments

• NagendraNagendra Rajahmundry, A.P6766 Points
    seems to be Srabani Nanda also qualified in 200m event... but so far couldn't find this news in NDTV...
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    Sarabani Nanda indeed qualified for 200m with timing of 23.07
  • BadBad 5146 Points
    edited June 2016
    Both Srabani and Ankit Sharma qualify for 200m and long jump respectively.Srabani clocked either 23.07/23.03 both are being shared on the net but irrespective of the time, what is more important is that she has qualified.On the other hand a New National Record has created by Ankit Sharma on the way to achieving the Qualification Standard.

Note-This is purely my opinion,based on some facts and some data collection. Ankit Sharma now becomes India's best medal prospect as far as Athletics is concerned.Yes,this unheard star could get us our First Olympic Medal.He has jumped 8.17 m to qualify and this distance would have got us a Silver medal at 2012 Olympics and with this distance he would have stood 4th at 2015 World Championship where Bronze medalist got 8.18m.What I am saying is he is inform and in field events staying inform is very important.So,if he can jump a distance of 8.17m or better than he should be in and around the magical podium.Whether,he can do it or not on the big is another issue but he has to go  as India' best bet for Athletics medal.
    spartakartik91Nagendrasanvedjadhavsouravindiashankarshibier
  • BadBad 5146 Points
    With both Srabani and Dutee qualifying pressure on them will be slightly les . Now,i am expecting a role reversal i.e Dutee qualifying for 200m and Srabani for 100m.I am almost certain about Dutee qualifying for 200 m.Srabani also has a good chance of making 100m.This, confidence will eventually reflect in Relays too,so better timings will be achieved.
  • BadBad 5146 Points
    Another Major Athletics Qualification Tournament will be taking place in India from 28th June - 2nd July.Hoping for more qualifications in that event.

Also,with Srabani and Ankit qualifying our Total reaches 102.
  • reddevil87reddevil87 1858 Points
    Tremendous improvement of athletics in India. Its a great thing for Indian contingent.  
  • BadBad 5146 Points
    Ankit jumps 8.19 m to better his National Record which he jumped two jumps previously.This jump of 8.19 m would make sure of a podium place if he manages to do so at Rio.
    sanvedjadhavshibier
  • BadBad 5146 Points
    In Archery,Mangal Singh won the quota last year,but Atanu Das will represent India after he won trial event where Jayanta Talukdar, Manual Singh and others also participated and no one said a word and no controversy erupted.Some Federations are strong unlike our Wrestling Federation.They declared in advance about the trial event and stood by it as the best bet(inform  player) should represent India.
  • usaindiausaindia 1671 Points
    some info about our athletics  achievements in past few days from some one connected in the industry
    http://sports-india.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&p=4366006#p4366006 
  • BadBad 5146 Points
    Germany hammer India 4-0 in 6 nation Hockey Tournament.Even though the result is one sided,one thing shd be noted I.e this is the first tournament where our full strength team is playing and this was the first match, so we were bound to be rusty.Our team for Rio is supposed to play 10-12 matches before Rio,so we'll get better and more combinational as we play those matches,so we are fully functional as a unit by the time we play our first match at Rio.

As far as the this tournament is concerned,we take on Ireland tomorrow.