India in Rio Olympics 2016

Comments

• usaindiausaindia 1671 Points
    i lost hope on teams
  • BadBad 5146 Points
    Another Choker moment for Atanu cost him the match.Needing 9 to win the set he scored 8.His only 8 of the match at the wrong time.

As I have already said,We are lacking composure at crucial junctures.
    munna219777reddevil87
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    Gagan Barang fails again. Where does the slide stop?
    munna219777reddevil87
  • BadBad 5146 Points
    edited August 2016
    It is said lightning does not strike twice but it has been 7 days for us since the lightning is striking.Again Choker moment for Gagan. Extremely poor last round from Gagan cost him.

We are new South Africa of Olympics.

Before the Olympics I thought I would enjoy our Athletes performances appreciate their progression but now I am desperate for a medal.What an irony!!!
    munna219777
  • spartasparta Jamshedpur FC2074 Points
    Atanu missed a lifetime moment there
    munna219777
  • ashindiaashindia 9376 Points
    And it still continues, at this rate winning even a single medal would be an achievement.
    karenesudhakar2050munna219777Nagendra
  • munna219777munna219777 28557 Points
     There was no chance of getting more medals then 2012 Olympics. I dont think that this time we had better players across all sports to win more medals. Instead we have more older players. In the period between 2008 to 2012, there was a momentum due to 2010 Commonwealth Games which we were hosting and money was spent in training across various sports. Also our players were younger, fitter and better in that time, not now. Yogeswar, Sushil, Vijender, Marykom, Bindra, Narang, Saina, Sania were much better at that time then now in 2016. Expect medal tally of 6 to increase only if we have players better then what these guys were in that time.
    We hardly organise Nationals-so small group of inflential people get selected on the basis of past performance. We do not organise any international tournaments now in different sports so that our people can see and inspire from real competiton and also get reality check that where we stand. We Indians just like to live in past glory. We select players on their past performance-not understanding that they are well past their prime. Olympics is about who is better now or who will get better-not oldie who is done. IPL type leagues have further regressed sports scene. Players compete with those semi-retired past their prime foreign players and think that they have achieved something-real competition is various notches higher. There is a reason why those IPL foreigners are retired-they are not good any more.
    Unless we stop celebrating the Qualification by an oldie or non-hopeful and instead start focusing on real young fitter medal hopefuls, selected on merit, we will continue to be a nation of losers.
    reddevil87
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    Women's doubles team fails again in Badminton. Someone remind me again why is Jwala Gutta so famous? What are her achievements?
    Similarly I never understood why Mouma Das and Poulami Ghatak have been media darlings in Bengal. Zilch achievements.

Note: CWG medals don't count
    munna219777spartareddevil87
    Jwala Gutta became famous due to her height and the fact that she is half chinese (mother, grandparents came from China to Wardha) The coaches thought since childhood that her Chinese genes will make her a phenomenal Badminton player. Competition is fierce even at Asian Level in Table Tennis, Badminton so cant put hope on them winning at Asian/Olympic level. Commonwealth countries are poor in these two events, so Indians shine there.
    Athletics 

Vikas Gowda Discus Throw  58.99 m  Rank 28 in Qualification Round

Manpreet Kaur  Shotput  17.06 m  Rank 23 in Qualification Round

Jinson Johnson 800 m Rank 25 in Qualification.

These three failed to progress to next Round.

@Bad can tell that how far they were for National Record or their Personal Best.