One Nation One League: I-League-ISL Merger

Comments

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29623 Points

Ranjit Bajaj requests FIFA to confirm legitimacy of letter to Minerva Punjab

However, the club's director, Ranjit Bajaj, has categorically denied that the letter has been officially received but through other sources. Although he did write back to FIFA in which he termed the AIFF as "a puppet" of its commercial partners, Football Sports Development Ltd. (FSDL).

In response to FIFA's letter, Bajaj once again pleaded for an intervention in the matter failing which the I-League clubs will be forced to take the legal route.

"If you (FIFA) do not intervene in the situation, the I-League clubs will have to approach the Indian courts for any legal recourse available to us and shall also consider moving to the CAS for relief," the letter stated.

Bajaj has stressed on the non-negotiable entry fee of USD 3 million per year over sporting merit just to be able to participate in the top division while advocating the need for promotion and relegation.

He also labelled the AIFF as "a powerless body slave to its commercial partner" who have "chosen the well being of newly formed franchisees (clubs participating in the Indian Super League) over the survival of the organically formed clubs of I-League which have a rich history and legacy behind them" in his four-point reply to FIFA

https://www.goal.com/en/news/ranjit-bajaj-fifa-minerva-punjab-aiff-roadmap-indian/1ohiyyqny02bw14rnh3x27142d

munna219777
  • so october 14 another jooomla meeting
    munna219777EastBengalPrideashindia
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9957 Points
    edited April 2020
    Interesting read:
    This, considering I-League incomplete. Had I-League been complete, more teams from this league would have featured in the upper half of the joint table.

Though this is not the ideal way to compare leagues, a three year joint table compilation could have formed the basis of a unified league. Say, a sixteen team combined league.

goalkeepar
  • So the merger won't happen as we have discussed all these years. It's about promotion of I League team into ISL from 2022 onwards. This is on merit basis. It's good to know that. 
    Finally we would have a professional football setup in India.
  • EastBengalPrideEastBengalPride India9297 Points
    Unless clubs start spending more on grassroots, community connect and less on shit quality Indian and average foreign players, a 16 team league isn't financially viable. Also FSDL needs to buy out Star's stake and get a paying broadcaster on board. 
    ashindiamasefieldtheoilfieldindian_goonerkartik91Chelseafan
  • atuljgatuljg Trivandrum3983 Points
    ISL and I league framework looks good. Now, what's required is proper professional state leagues at least in Kerala, Goa, Northeast, Bengal initially.
    munna219777indian_goonerkartik91
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9957 Points
    We need an FSDL exit from ISL. Then make it open ended.
    goalkeepar
  • SamyajitSamyajit Kolkata1246 Points
    edited September 2020
    If we really look forward to a proper, functioning domestic football structure, there is actually no way other than to boost the state leagues. Without the state leagues, no progress can be made. So, if I had to frame an ideal Indian football season, it would be like this:

August to October: Pre-season/State leagues season
    These three months should be for the pre-season tourneys like Durand, Rovers or IFA Shield. Also, some states can conduct the top division of their state leagues, like CFL premiership. 
    November to March: National League Season
    Currently, we have enough teams for 14-side leagues for both 1st and 2nd tier. From the next season, we can have 14 teams in both levels. Perhaps promote CCFC, GKFC and Punjab FC to ISL and replace them with sides from I League 2. Perhaps give the new entrants some time to settle down, and then start pro-rel from 23-24. Also, please discontinue the knockout stage.
     For I league 2, let it continue along more or less the same model- open for reserve teams, relegated sides from I League, state league leaders and new entrants. However, the number of teams should be restricted to 24 to 30 with priority to teams from the last 3 groups. Perhaps give some time and then make a permanent 3rd tier out of it.
    A 14 team league, with sides playing 1-2 games per week can easily be wrapped up by March, so not much of a problem with IPL.
    April-May: Cup season
    Federation Cup can be held in the original league cum knockout format. It can be expanded to fit in more I league and 2nd division clubs too. Since Star would no longer be available, perhaps AIFF needs a new broadcaster.
    Additional:
    1. AFC slots, in this merged setup, can be redistributed to ISL champs, runners and Fed Cup champs.
    2. Super Cup can be held as a season opener between ISL and Fed Cup champs.

munna219777Nagendramasefieldtheoilfieldindian_goonerThe real AGkartik91
  • EastBengalPrideEastBengalPride India9297 Points
    Why cant Super Cup run simultaneously along with ISL and I league? 
    atuljg