Food : what you are eating

1434445464749»

Comments

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29627 Points

Hilsa (Ilish) prepared by my mother yesterday

The recipe: 

Kalo Jeere Diye Ilish Macher Jhol | Hilsa Fish Curry with Nigella Seeds

https://finallyfoodie.com/kalo-jeere-diye-ilish-macher-jhol-hilsa-fish-curry/
    indian_goonerNagendra
  • samsam 16428 Points

The best telebhaja in Kolkata, as per the city's foodies

Eat your way through the rainy day blues with this expert-recommended list of the most scrumptious fried fritters

Come monsoon, Kolkata’s sultry afternoons, weather-related flus, and general gloom finds its panacea in cha and telebhaja. This ready remedy for the cloudy, wet days is perhaps not what the doctor recommends but is food to warm the soul. Telebhaja—literally translates as fried in oil—crisp, smoking hot fritters which are either dusted with chaat masala and eaten out of small newspaper packets or served with muri (puffed rice). From Bagbazar to Burrabazar, New Market to Park Street, you will find small corner stalls and roadside carts selling telebhaja for every season and every reason. And a fresh-from-the-kadhai telebhaja on a rainy day is that Bengali dream that makes an entire season pass by as a flash in the pan.

We spoke to the city’s foodies for your guide to the best telebhaja around town.

Lakshmi Narayan Shaw & Sons, Machuabazar

“Established in the year 1918, Lakshmi Narayan Shaw & Sons in Beadon Street (158, Bidhan Sarani Road, Sovabazar, Hati Bagan, Machuabazar) has a longstanding history. They have the best soyar (soyabean) chop, aamer (mango) chop, and dhoka bhaja (fried lentil fritters).” Indrajit Saha, food blogger and podcaster

“Laxmi Narayan Shaw is an institution and makes some very special telebhaja, like aamer chop, and mochar (banana blossom) chop. The aamer chop is made with seasonal raw mango and has a lovely tangy flavour. I also like their aloor chop a lot, the filling tastes amazing and the casing is deliciously crisp.” Poorna Banerjee, food blogger

The best telebhaja in Kolkata as per the citys foodies
    Suvojit Kar

Kewpie's Bhowanipore

“Kewpie's (2, Elgin Lane, behind Netaji Bhavan, Sreepally, Bhowanipore) has a great ambience and their authentic Bengali thalas come with some delicious telebhaja, from beguni to aloor chop. You can also order them separately off the menu if you like.” Saloni Jhunjhunwalla, partner at The Salt House

Kalika, College Square

“Kalika (29, Surya Sen Street, College Square) is an evening staple for many. I personally love their beguni (fried aubergine fritters) and mochar chop, they somehow get it right with the perfect amount of seasoning.” Souvik Bhattacharya, food and travel blogger

“The vegetable chop, piyaji (fried onion fritters), and beguni at Kalika are my favourites. They taste fresh and once you get a taste, you’re hooked for life. ” Indrajit Saha

Bhoomi, Sikharpur

“If you are in the mood to go a little further away from the city lights, Bhoomi (Vedic Village Spa Resort, New Town, Sikharpur) is a great place to binge on some freshly fried telebhaja with stunning views and the monsoon breeze to keep you comfortable. I like their Koraishutir (green pea) chop as they get the pea filling exactly right.” Saloni Jhunjhunwalla

Kalpataru, Entally

“Kalpataru (50 A, Ananda Palit Rd, Entally) has great fritters and is ideal on a monsoon day. One is greeted with a familiar menu and well-behaved staff every time you visit here. I like them for their delicious aloor chop.” Souvik Bhattacharya

The best telebhaja in Kolkata as per the citys foodies
    Rekha Kakkar

Mukharuchi, Beleghata

“Mukharuchi (151/B, Beleghata Main Rd, Kulia, Beleghata) is a legendary shop, believed to have served their telebhaja to the Ramakrishna Paramahamsa. They still hold their spot as one of the best places for fried fritters. I like their phuluri (fried besan fritters), aloor chop, and beguni (fried aubergine fritters) quite a bit.” Indrajit Saha

6 Ballygunge Place, multiple outlets

“We simply call all these telebhaja “chops”. We always have them with muri (puffed rice)—another Kolkata staple. Of course for me the best ones are the ones available at the end of my street! And these shacks have no names. An all-time favourite, 6 Ballygunge Place is my trusted eatery for all Bengali food, and that includes fried fritters as well. Their posto-narkol bora (fried poppy seed and coconut fritter) is a must try.” Saloni Jhunjhunwalla

Telebhaja shop outside VIP market

“This small shop outside the VIP market has been selling excellent telebhaja for more than 30 years. But what fascinates me is that this telebhaja is something that brings many different cultures and communities together, from Hindus to Muslims, Biharis to Marwaris, Gujaratis to Bengalis. It is something that everyone loves to bond over, and queue up for.” Poorna Banerjee

https://www.cntraveller.in/story/the-best-telebhaja-in-kolkata-as-per-the-citys-foodies/
    debarghya89thebeautifulgameindian_gooner