UEFA Euro Cup 2016

Comments

• shibiershibier 2996 Points
    Irony is that with only one win ( SF against Wales) in the entire tournament , Portugal managed to lift the  trophy.
    Deb_BanEastBengalPridesouravindiaNagendra
  • NagendraNagendra Rajahmundry, A.P6450 Points
    ;shibier ...

most pessimistic comment .... why can't we say like this...
    "Portugal is only team in this tournament is undefeated..."

By the way, I never thought Portugal will come this far... Of-course.. Portugal are not favorites... but they deserved it... They played well in this tournament... 

Their resurgence started from last group match against Hungary... fought back well... against Croatia they defended well.. and against Poland it is an even match with Portugal slightly dominating.. 

They have done well against Wales and deserved to be finals..

Against France... what can we expect more.. France have good attacking players & midfielders... Only weak link is defense ( I mean France is not best in defending ).. even their goalie is good..

On the other hand, Portugal had a good game... mainly their goalie, Pepe, LB , RB, William Carvalho , Nani, young player Sanches, Fwd Quaresma and goal scorer Eder... of-course according to me...everyone played well :)
    munna219777
    ;ashindia ..

as u said... quality wise is not great.... but it is much better than Copa America 2016.... 

I don't think.. it is  Disappointing tournament... it is quite interesting with most unexpected games..nice fans and grounds..

But few things are missing... Spanish dominance, Germans attacking threat, Italy's fast faced game...

Euro 2016 would have been great with the additions of Netherlands, Denmark/Sweden..

It is bad to have tough games in initial phase.. Portugal vs Croatia, Italy Vs Spain... but who would think Wales Hungary topping their group.... Spain in 2nd position & Portugal in 3rd position...
  • samsam 16425 Points
    @Ashlesh ;

Not only Goa, In Bengal there is a village where 160-170 Portuguese families live. Mirpur is the village name. They all have something to cheer about today.

Those who know Bengali for them: http://www.anandabazar.com/khela/mirpur-wants-to-see-win-of-portugal-dgtl-1.431735# 
    Nagendranamewtheld
  • samsam 16425 Points
    Being from Chandannagar in Bengal, I know that some old people there still have their French passport like their Pondicheri brothers and sisters.  
    Deb_Banthebeautifulgame
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9950 Points
    My sympathies to the people of Chandannagar ... Bandel-Hooghly area North of it was a Portuguese settlement ... you may get some castaways there rooting for Portugal.
    munna219777
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    France team strategy was based upon nullifying Cristiano Ronaldo threat and actually their game plan was in disarray when Ronaldo went out so early. They were surprised by it. France got opportunities, especially Gignac, but they didnt complete it. Martial was introduced too late when they had conceded the goal.
    Portugal started poorly but became a determined side after Ronaldo went out. It was a masterstroke to substitute Sanches with Eder.  Till then midfield possession was dominated by France and they were attacking Portugal citadel continously. But Eder was able to hold ball better and also win some fouls. Rafael, Joao Mario did well too.
    Team spirit won on the day.
    Deb_Banreddevil87
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    Euro Cup 2020  was supposed to be organised at 12 different cities in 12 countries. 
    Normally one country hosts it.
    To celebrate the 60th birthday of European Chamoionship they wanted to have a one-off tournament spread across europe.
    Now due to corona, 2020 tournament was postponed to 2021.

Now UEFA is talking about hosting the tournament in one country - England with no spectators.