FIFA World Cup 2026 USA/Canada/Mexico & AFC Asian Cup 2027 Saudi Arabia (Qualifications)

Comments

• indian_goonerindian_gooner 3416 Points
    Sukun said:
    Wanted this round to be easy so that 3rd round would have got us good exposure and direct entry to next Asian Cup.Seems like road is long!
    yes. this was also a good point. moreover 10 competitive games also.
    Passi
  • ChelseafanChelseafan Allahabad1655 Points
    Boy this is as tough a group as we would have wanted to avoid! 😂 But seriously, we got an extremely easy group last time 8n WCQ and what did we achieve - draws against the likes of Afghanistan and Bangladesh! So with a tough group it cannot get any worse!

I think if we play with our strongest squad with Sana and Apuia back, then we have a decent enough chance to come 2nd. Kuwait is beatable. So is Afghanistan. And even Qatar is not at the level of Japan and Australia. They can be checked. 
    Passiindian_gooner
  • indian_goonerindian_gooner 3416 Points

Stimac expecting 2nd place in group and advance.
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz86rjTRGQw
    Chelseafan
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    I think we can finish in the top 2 realistically if we have all ohr players fit and a long camp is held. There are sufficient games before the event to get the team combination right. There are reasons to be optimistic. Let us hope for the best 
  • ashindiaashindia 9254 Points
    sam said:
    Indian football fans can't just cry for ever. It is a WCQ, you are expected to play against tough opponents if you want to progress. The group India got, it is what it is. Let's try to get good results.
    Its not about crying. Lets be realistic our players are hard working, fit and tactically aware than before but technically we are behind Qatar, Kuwait(their rank is low but i consider them a top 10 team in Asia) or any top 15 teams in Asia. Teams like ours need some luck as well to reach 3rd round and play 10 high quality matches
    reddevil87goalkeeparindian_goonersouravindia
  • RonnyRonny 10457 Points
    We need more scorers..our midfielders need to start scoring and only then we can give a good fight to Qatar and Kuwait. The first game is away against Kuwait and literally our entire campaign depends on that game. Seems like we will only get one week camp before that so playing well in Merdeka cup in October is paramount!
    ashindiasouravindia
    edited July 2023
    Also, just learned that Asian games, this time will be under 24. It makes more sense now to pretty much take the core of the senior team plus Sunil, Sandhu and Jhingan. Now Roshan, Mahesh, Rahim and few more are eligible for Asian games
    Qatar beat Mexico this month so I’m not sure how a lot of fans are calling them beatable. They are also playing against Russia on September 12th
    ashindiasouravindia
  • G_KG_K Kerala5182 Points
    It's a tough group, but 2nd spot is still achievable.

The fact that the away match in Kuwait will be the first match for us makes it tough. We could afford a draw in Kuwait, but has to beat them at home. It will be followed by a home match against Qatar, both in November. 

I don't believe Qatar will win all 6 matches, which will spice up the group.

And please, no hiccups against Afghan/Mongolia like last time against Bangladesh & Afghan.

One more thing to watch out for is the venue Afghanistan will choose as home.
    thebeautifulgameindian_goonerSukunsouravindia
  • G_KG_K Kerala5182 Points
    Feeling sorry for the teams in Group I who have to make frequent trips almost half way across the world.

The most hectic one I believe is in June when Palestine hosts Lebanon on June 6 and then has to play in Australia on June 11. (When Palestine plays on June 6, it will already be June 7 in Australia)
    ashindia