I-League 2023-2024: New Teams, Renewed Ambitions

thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29627 Points
edited November 2023 in I league
The 2023-24 I-League season will have 13 clubs--Gokulam Kerala FCChurchill BrothersMohammedan Sporting, Real Kashmir FCAizawl FCNeroca FCTRAU FCDelhi FCRajasthan United FC, Shillong LajongSreenidi Deccan FC, Inter Kashi and Namdhari FC in action, one more than that last season, playing across 10 venues on a home-and-away double round-robin basis. Three clubs will be plying their trade for the first time ever, together with one club that return to the league after a gap of four seasons. Shillong Lajong FC, who have entertained Indian Football fans in the past, are now back once again, having won the Second Division League last season, and will be joined by Delhi Football Club, who finished behind them in the third tier of Indian Football. Two other debutants are corporate entries into the league as it looks to spread the game across newer territories–Inter Kashi from Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, and Namdhari Sports Academy in Sri Bhaini Sahib, Punjab. The tournament will have 156 matches played throughout the season, with each team playing 24 games. The club finishing at the top of the table at the end of the league will be declared champion and will be eligible for promotion to the Indian Super League (ISL) 2024-25 provided it fulfils the club-licensing criteria. Last season’s champion Punjab FC (formerly called RoundGlass Punjab FC) has already been promoted to the ISL.The tournament will be telecast live on Eurosport TV channel and Fancode will live stream the same.

While the new entrants into the league look to find their footing, the traditional heavyweights like Gokulam Kerala, Sreenidi Deccan, Churchill Brothers and Mohammedan Sporting are all set for the big jostle that would ultimately lead to promotion to the Indian Super League for one team. The Malabarians, two-time champions, have made their intent clear with signings like Barcelona Academy product Nili Perdomo, and Tajikistan international Komron Tursunov to bolster the attack, while experienced heads like Salam Ranajan Singh and former Indian international Anas Edathodika will strengthen the back line. Sreenidi Deccan have roped in midfielder Ibrahim Sissoko of Côte d’Ivoire, who has experience playing in Germany, Spain and Portugal, a signing that is expected to bridge their strong defensive and attacking units. Mohammedan Sporting, on the other hand, have brought in Honduras international Eddie Hernandez to strengthen their attack. However, the presence of local talent David Lalhlansanga could also prove to be an exciting prospect. The 21-year-old forward shone for the Black and White Brigade in the Durand Cup this season, ending as the joint highest scorer of the tournament with six goals to his name. The other clubs too would be no pushovers.

With so many strong past champions and some teams with even stronger ambitions, the I-League promises to be a humdinger!

This thread is to discuss all activities--team news, I-League matches , post-match analysis--except those related to transfer.

Credits: sportstar.thehindu.com, khelnow.com, news18.com
Nagendra

Comments