Mehtab Hossain

2»

Comments

• preetampreetam 870 Points
    maybe if he signs for foreign club.....u will see a lot more comment here...u know people fuss.....
  • 7negi7negi India10890 Points
    mean while Mehtab Hossain quits from International football
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    But he will play in this year AFC Cup.That is sort of International Club Football. Stephan will change the team and many Koevarmans era players will not feature again in National setup.
  • preetampreetam 870 Points
    if you gave a closer look you will realise that wim was selecting 23 players squad which deserved to be in 23 but when it comes to select final 11 he always fucked up ...out of 26 selected players now you will find same 15-18 players ...what we need him to select the best 11 of available resources
    munna219777
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29574 Points
    http://www.goal.com/en-om/news/mohun-bagan-mehtab-hossain-retirement-cfl-2018/1jc4bprrpwsux1177otuyg517m

Mohun Bagan's Mehtab Hossain to retire from football after CFL 2018

The sturdy midfielder has decided to hang up his boots after the completion of the ongoing CFL...

Mohun Bagan midfielder Mehtab Hossain has announced his decision to retire from football after the ongoing Calcutta Football League (CFL) 2018 ends.

The former India international made his decision public through a social media post. 

The post read: "I am not that active in social media. But I have chosen this medium to announce the most important decision of my life to avoid any misunderstanding. Even before this season had started I had taken a decision that I would retire after playing a handful of matches. The time has come to announce my decision.

"I intend to hang up my boots after the completion of the ongoing CFL. I don't know in how many matches I will appear. But all I can say is that I will put my best whenever I will get an opportunity. My aim is to crown Mohun Bagan as league champions after many years. I hope that I will get everyone's love and support in the last few days. 

"I started playing the national league with Tollygunge. Then I donned the colours of Mohun Bagan, East Bengal, the India national team and played in the Indian Super League (ISL). I have played football for two long decades. I have received a lot of love from Kolkata Maidan. Some have criticized as well. Maybe because I have been able to create a place in their hearts, I have been discussed and criticized.

"Whatever popularity and fame I have received it is because of you people. I thank my coaches and officials for giving me the opportunity. I thank all my friends from the media fraternity as well. I thank all the football fans of Bengal those who have stayed beside me through thick and thin."

Hossain was supposed to don East Bengal colours this season after being in talks with them but Mohun Bagan signed him up at the 11th hour before the start of this season. This marked his return to  Maroon and Green colours after 12 years. He played the prime years of his football career for East Bengal from 2007-2016. In 2015, the Kolkata based defensive midfielder retired from international football after he was dropped from the 26-man squad for the world cup qualifiers. 

Hossain has been an ISL regular as well since the inception of the tournament in 2014. After spending the first three seasons with the Kerala Blasters he was picked up by Jamshedpur FC in the third round of the 2017–18 ISL Players Draft. After ending the season with Jamshedpur, Hossain reportedly decided not to renew his contract with the club since he wanted to return to Kolkata and spend more time with his family. 

He put in a man of the match performance against NBP Rainbow AC in the last match of CFL as his inch-perfect deliveries from set-pieces were converted to goals which helped Mohun Bagan win the match 3-2.

spartamunna219777
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29216 Points
    He should retire after I league 
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29574 Points

Mohun Bagan's Mehtab Hossain calls it a day

Veteran Indian midfielder Mehtab Hossain has finally decided to hang his boots...

Former India international and Mohun Bagan midfielder Mehtab Hossain has finally decided to retire from professional football. The player confirmed the news on the eve of Mohun Bagan's final home match of I-League 2018-19 season against Indian Arrows.

Ahead of the match, the veteran midfielder said, "I started my journey in 1998 with Kalighat Sports Club. Tomorrow (Thursday) will be the last match of my career. It has been a long journey starting from Kalighat, then FCI, Tollygunge Agragami and Mohun Bagan in 2003. That was the first time I played for a big club. Maybe tomorrow will be the last professional match of my career. I want to quit after playing tomorrow’s game as it is a home game.

"I wanted to play my last match in Kolkata. I had informed after Calcutta Football League (CFL) that I will retire but continued due to some reasons. This is the correct time to quit. I want to thank all my coaches and especially to Khalid Jamil and Sankarlal Chakraborty who believed in me and gave me the opportunity to play at the twilight of my career. My only regret is not winning the I-League. Maybe I was not destined to win it."

Mehtab has had an illustrious career where he played for multiple top tier clubs. After spending three seasons at Mohun Bagan and then a season at ONGC, Hossain moved to East Bengal in 2007 and spent 10 seasons with the Red and Golds.

In between, he had plied his trade with Indian Super League (ISL) side Kerala Blasters. He had reached the final of ISL twice with Kerala but failed to win it. He then moved to Jamshedpur FC in the 2017-18 season before returning to Mohun Bagan in his final year.

He has won every major accolade in Indian football except the I-League and the ISL.

https://www.goal.com/en-in/news/i-league-2018-19-mehtab-hossain-retire-mohun-bagan/jlj7ke6n267k1nybyvf6zp3oz

munna219777Carbon_14