Indian Footballers for foreign trials

Comments

• 7negi7negi India10890 Points
    Can He Crack it ?? u have experience about US Football !
    some thing about what division is USL Pro team plays ??
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    I dont want to say to much as this has just been like 22 minutes of football (He is taken off at the 25 minute mark in the video) but so far he seems okay but not great. He is fast, he seems to work really hard, and he is one of those players that likes to move the ball forward instead of just passing the ball back to the defense which is a really good feature to have. His passing on the ground look good and his gental lofted balls have been successfully delivered but when he attempted that long-ball, with no pressure on him at all, which went out I was really dissapointed.

Defensivly there was a moment when he tried to clear the ball (under a bit of pressure) but he miss kicked the ball and then when he tried to challenge the opposition midfielder he missed again. Positionally he is very good, he knows where he should be but sometimes there are moments when his team is forward and he is still jogging just outside the center circle and I am screaming for him to sprint forward and help his team but he does not do it. However, that is just a minor negative and something that will be fixed with experience.

Overall, based on what I have seen in the USL Pro in the past: Can he earn a contract with a top USL Pro team like the Richmond Kickers, Orlando City (who are going to MLS in 2015), Harrisburg City Islanders etc? Maybe. He would surely not be a starter nor a first man off the bench but easily would get minutes off the bench. If he joined any other side in the USL Pro? Same really, sub but more minutes and chances.

Also, keep in mind the differences between this combine and the MLS/NASL combines. The MLS/NASL ones have the best college players and even professionals from the Carribean and Africa in them while the USL Pro is really on the next batch of college players and some outside guys. Also, unlike the MLS one where they are playing to impress for the MLS draft, there is no draft in the USL Pro, you either do well and get a contract from a team or not. 

However, if you dont make it then it is not the end. If you fail here then there is still a chance to train with a USL Pro team and then sign for a USL PDL team (the 4th tier and top-semi-pro league in the country) and then attend the USL Pro combine again next year.

So ya, there is a chance but overall, if he makes it expect him to be a sub at least in his first season.
    good summary ! thanx
    edited January 2014
    Your welcome. My only worry now is if he does fail. I dont want this to be one of those "Well, he tried and failed, back to India now." He should stay, try his luck in the USL PDL, and then try again next season. He has a lot of potential and one-year of adjustment to how the game works in the lower tiers of US Soccer (mainly based on athletic ability and speed rather than technical ability) would do him great benefits.

Edit: Forgot to mention, compared to the other players on the field, Martins has done a very good job but there are players who have outdone him, mainly the ones with four years in college (this is there last chance to become pros).
    He is Managed by Libero sports , So i think they will get club for him , if he failed here
    Lets see. I just dont want him joining a team just for the sake of it. If he needs a year to develop and get acclimated then let him take that year.
    Plays by Martins (times based on video time, not game time):

8 minutes: Recieves a pass, changes direction, and lofts a nice ball to a teammate.
    9:25: Was a part of a one-two but his pass was easily intercepted.
    10:06: Receives the ball with back against the goal in the midfield, he shields the ball while trying to get around the defender but when he sees that is not possibe he passes back.
    12:55: After Martins' teammate completely fucks up a chance in the box his teammate goes into a tussle with the opposition defender before Martins sprints in, takes the ball, and attempts a cross which is cleared away with barely anyone in the box. Easily his best play so far.
    13:25: The opposition passes the ball around and then after one oppostion player takes a heavy touch Martins just easily passes the ball back to his teammate. Good play so far from the Indian midfielder.
    14:35: Near the opposition box, Martins tries to clear the ball but misses the ball and then when he tries to challenge the opposition midfielder he misses again. Martins' defensive problems show up.
    17:05: Martins recieves the ball, has no pressure at all on him and decides to attempt a long-ball forward which goes straight out of play for a throw-in. Probably his worst moment of the game so far.
    18:09: Has a successful one-two.
    18:32: Martins recieves the ball in the middle, around 28 yards away, and may have attempted a shot which went way off but luckily found a teammate who had a horrible attempted shot.
    19:30: Simple passback to teammate.
    20:30: Something so simple yet so great. Martins recieves the ball and with a bit of pressure, instead of just easily passing the ball back he attempts a pass with the outside of his right-foot to his teammate which is successful. His teammate then tries to get the ball back to Martins but Martins could not win the ball.
    20:45: Martins wins a challenge and gets possession back for his team.
    21:53: Marins recieves the ball and then attempts an outside-foot pass forward in traffic but it is intercepted. Not his fault though, it was a really tough play and his teammate could have done better.
    24:50: Martins is involved in a defensive play, wins the ball, but then in the confusion in which the ball is behind him, Martins loses the ball.
    25:40: The first batch of subs are made and sadly Glan Martins is one of the players being taken off.

53:30: Glan Martins returns to the pitch for the 2nd half.
    57:25: Seems like Martins is playing now on the right-wing... go chance to show off his speed.
    59:00: Martins has not even touched the ball yet and it seems like he is starting to get a little peeved about it as his teammates just dont pass to him but instead choose someone else before losing the ball.
    59:40: Martins chests down a ball and then tries to pass the ball forward which goes to no one. Possession is lost.
    1:00:10: This does not involve Glan but if you want to see a weak shot then look at this one. I can tell you now who is not going to be a pro... #77.
    1:01:50: Martins chests another ball down and then tries to play forward but does not get to his man. Lots of pressure here.
    1:06:20: Martins recieves the ball with two defenders in front of him. He checks back a little before attempting a ground pass forward which is easily intercepted by the opposition team.
    1:08:25 and 1:08:30: Martins gets the ball and passes back successfully.
    1:10:55: Martins drives in for the ball, gets it but not enough to really take the ball away. Doing a good job of containing the player with the ball.
    1:17:50: Martins gets the ball, easily gets past an opposition midfielder, before attempting a lofted pass which goes straight to the opposition.
    1:20:23: Martins recieves the ball and then attempts a through ball which is intercepted, he then straight away intercepts the oppositions pass before passing it to a teammate close by.
    1:22:25: Martins recieves the ball and then long-balls it forward where his teammate nearly gets the ball but is beaten away.
    1:23:30: Martins gets the ball and passes it to his side.
    1:23:55: Martins does a one-two, gets the ball, attempts a lofted-pass which his teammate is beaten to before Martins wins the ball back again.
    1:24:15: Martins tries to win the ball back but does not and then he gets beaten by the speed of the game.
    1:25:16: Martins gets the ball and then attempts a medium through ball down the wing which is successful.
    1:31:00: And that will do it for Glan Martins as the midfielder is taken off with a few minutes left to play.
    edited January 2014
    I am currently watching his other match against Team 3 and personally I am dissapointed when he has the ball but off the ball he really does look good. He is containing the players with the ball and he gets into good spaces. He is determined to make things happen.

However, his team is really shit. Many times they can just pass the ball to him in open space on the wing but instead they attempt to try and get the ball central by passing it towards the middle but then they lose the ball. Its stupid because Martins is not a bad player at all and honestly, compared to the rest of his team, he has easily been one of their top 6 players.

Edit: I will not lie... Martins should get a contract in the USL Pro if these are the best college players available.
    Go watch this and go to 37:20... this is why Martins might not be up to it: