Daily dose of east bengal

Comments

• I still remember that season, after wining Asean Cup, EB was struggling in NFL. Bhaichung was unable to find net and team was looking for a clinical striker. Gilmar came with all the skills of the world and then went back to Eurpore after scoring couple of awesome long ranger and volleys (Those who have not seen Gilmar, can assume him as 75% of Stefan Medoza or Alan Gao with Mendoza's speed and intent).
    Then Cristiano Junior came. He scored a goal from penalty in first match. Next day a former Indian international wrote "Junior will take long time to become senior, by that time Subhash Bhowmik will loose all hope to win NFL again". However, depth was their in that squad. Junior scored in every game and won it for EB. He paired with Bhaichung and formed a deadly pair. He was prolific and clever, scored with ease. Not much dodge, not much bull dozing  just in right place at right time to do the job for the team. Only Igor Skivrin was that intelligent I saw in NFL era. 
    He asked for 37% hike next season and EB let him go and brought Jeremaiah from Eveready !
    That unfortunate incident happened after that in Fed cup. Heartbreaking, agonising to see someone directly diving to fellow footballers body without even looking at the ball. Subrata was a real hot head then. In that Fed cup itself I saw him running from his box towards half line and feasting opponent player's face while his team having a corner kick and going back to box as if nothing has happened. 
    EB did not win NFL (I - League) since then.
    Curse of Bela Guttman? 
    munna219777ashindiagoalkeeparSiVCarbon_14Ronnykartik91
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29628 Points
    Wow, what retentive memory, @dhritiman7!

I have been following Calcutta football, and especially the fortunes of EB, since the late 80s but I cannot claim to recall so many details as you. I do remember Junior and his deadly combination with Baichung, his tragic death and dimly remember the name of Gilmar but that's about it. Incidentally, I have some interest in Jews, having done my PhD on Jews in Renaissance drama but I had not heard the name of Bela Guttman (he was Jewish and survived the concentration camps) till now! :/

Guys like you are a walking encyclopedia of Indian football (and much else besides)!
    dhritiman7ashindiagoalkeeparathi_bheekarankartik91
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    edited December 2020
    Just like Beto and Barreto, Junior would have stayed in India for a long time. Most probably at Dempo.
    I remember him saying that he and his wife like Goa a lot.

Referees should have issued yellow card for dangerous play to Subrata Paul in that tournament whenever he started doing those things. Other factors like lack of ambulance, paramedics in the stadium were also responsible for the tragic death.
    dhritiman7ashindiagoalkeeparkartik91
    edited December 2020
    Decision on the striker for SC East Bengal in next 48 hours. Three on the shortlist.

Kunal Das

Any Brazilian centre forward shortlisted????

Not to the best of my knowledge. I know of a Dutch, Australian and 2 Nigerians playing in Europe who are on the shortlist. It's complicated though. Not easy to sign any of them.

https://twitter.com/MarcusMergulhao?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Marcus's update on the EB foreign striker
  • RonnyRonny 10456 Points
    I remember watching Igor Skivrin playing. I was so impressed to see a blonde Uzbek playing in India :)
    Deb_Ban

Former East Bengal coach Alejandro Menendez joins Albacete

Alejandro Menendez has joined Albacete Balompie as the head coach until the end of this season, the Spanish club announced on Tuesday. 

He will be the third coach in this season after Lucas Alcaraz and Aritz López Garai and has a difficult task at hand of avoiding relegation of a team that currently sits last on the table with just 11 points from 17 games. 

Their last win came in October when they beat Rayo Vallecano 2-1. In their last five matches, they have drawn once and lost the remaining games. The bottom four teams get relegated at the end of the season and they are currently four points off that mark. 

Menéndez arrives at Carlos Belmonte with a technical assistant, Juanma Barrero. The rest of the coaching staff will remain the same barring assistant coach, who will now be Fran Noguerol. He is the former Albacete captain who has been linked to the club since he hung up his boots in the 2014-15 campaign

https://www.goal.com/en-ug/news/former-east-bengal-coach-alejandro-menendez-joins-albacete/cqbg2fluz2qf1qf0f26x6e3vd

Carbon_14munna219777

Two sumo wrestlers--Sehnaj and Jeje--having a go at each other :( B)
    EastBengalPridemunna219777kartik91ashindia

The Englishman have had a hard time in his debut season in India with East Bengal, as his side is still searching for their maiden win in the league. The winless run and recent performance of the team have resulted in several former players as well as fans of the club to put pressure and criticize the tactician.

This is not ideal. I think what we all have to remember is it’s all about the club. I hope it’s not a political statement from former players, you being a part of the previous ownerships, I hope that’s not the case. If that is so then that’s quite poor,” he said.

“I like to believe that regardless of the players, the club will always be here, so support the club and give us lots of positive energy and at this moment we don’t need negative energy. The players need positivity and I request the former players who claim to have the best (intention) of the club, let’s get behind everyone.”

https://khelnow.com/football/isl-2020-21-sc-east-bengal-jamshedpur-fc-robbie-fowler-pmc

Double-talk by Robbie Fowler. After criticizing his "Indian players" for never having "received top coaching in their careers", he blasts former players for spreading "negative energy" and says that 'players need positivity". He should walk the talk first. The Englishman is learning the hard way the ins and outs of Indian football
  • EastBengalPrideEastBengalPride India9297 Points
    In a way he is right. What is Bhaskar "5 Goals" Ganguly's contribution to East Bengal? Who is Loga to have any say on East Bengal? Manoranjan Bhattacharya actually did lead us to win a NFL and he has been reserved in his comments. The rest just talk out of their asses while enjoying the government job they got because of the club. These former players owe their life, soul, their existence to the club, they were a nobody and are a nobody without East Bengal's association with their names. They should only wag their tales, they are our bitches and if they don't wag, they should be kicked in the butt. Useless ungrateful gang of cunts. 
    We are pleased to announce our association with an eminent sports club, SC East Bengal, as its official healthcare partner.

https://twitter.com/AMRIHospitals