Other Sports

Comments

• munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    India Canada highlights

Carbon_14
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29629 Points

Australia’s Graham Reid set to be named new Indian men’s hockey coach

Australian Graham Reid is set to be named the Indian men’s hockey team chief coach till the 2022 World Cup after the national federation and the Sports Authority of India gave their go ahead to fill the position lying vacant for nearly three months.

Reid’s name was finalised in a meeting between Hockey India and SAI officials on Tuesday. He was picked over a number of candidates, including Jay Stacy, another Australian and a three-time Olympic medallist.

https://scroll.in/field/918026/australias-graham-reid-set-to-be-named-new-indian-mens-hockey-coach

munna219777
  • RonnyRonny 10457 Points
    Mandeep's finishing and trapping was classy!
    munna219777
    Mandeep Singh has been showing leadership upfront. He also dishes out instructions to players all around him. Very good player !!!!
    Both India and South Korea have qualified for the Finals.
    Terrible result for Malaysia as they failed in front of their home supporters.
    Roelant Oltmans failure continues.

Good Tournament for South Korea team so far. They are on revival path as in past few years, Japan & Malaysia had overtaken them in Asia.
    We need to strengthen our Penalty Corner Defense in the Finals. In last two matches, I have seen Goal being deflected in front of Srejesh's feet. South Korea is good at PC routine.
    thebeautifulgame
    Not everyone in the country is in favor of Mandeep though..his overall defensive skills have been pretty bad but what a poacher he is in front of the goal..for me his goal poaching skills are better than a lot of German,Dutch and Aussie players
    munna219777Bad
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    I don't know what do you mean by "not in favour of Mandeep Singh?"Please be more specific with regards to this.I am not able to understand what exactly do you want to say??

Now w.r.t Mandeep Singh as a player.My analysis is that he is a quality Instinctive Finisher(Less time to think,More specifically when he is inside the circle).However,he is an average striker when he has more time to think(When he is outside the circle).eg) You would hardly see him carrying the ball from outside the circle, entering the circle having a shot and scoring on his own.He is somewhat like an Edinson Cavani in that regard.

Hockey,in Today's World(as ridiculous as it may sound) is not just about Scoring goals because Hockey is a fast game and an average Hockey Match yields around 5-6 goals easily,Therefore only scoring a goal every second to third match won't make you a Top Class Forward.

Also,India plays a Counter-Attacking Style (Specially against the top 5 opponents because most likely their midfielders hold the possession for longer time) i.e When Opponent attacks us,we try to turn the ball over and launch and attack of our own at a fast pace. To launch a counter attack quickly, Forwards need preferably both the attributes like lightening Speed and Skill(skill means decent Dodging and dribbling) but certainly at least one out of two is needed.
    Unfortunately,Mandeep doesn't have either of the two.He has decent Speed and decent Skill but nothing is exceptional.This is where he suffers in my opinion.

Mandeep is therefore more useful against the lesser teams(Azlan Shah Teams) because against these teams our Midfield will have more of the ball and Mandeep's positioning will be mainly in the opponents Circle.This is where he will be dangerous but when we will play against the likes of  Germany, Australia,Netherlands etc,then his positioning will be around the Centre Line mainly (in order to start the counter attack).This is where he suffers because In case of a turnover,he will have to carry the ball to the opponent circle and make something out of it.In these situations he suffers big time because for these situations he doesn't have that exceptional Speed,Skill and even Passing to prove effective.In these situations if you're Forwards don't make the most of your counter attack then opposition builds even more pressure on your Defence.Thus,he falls down the Pecking Order.

That is why I rate someone like a Sumit Kumar (Forward) so highly.

In the game against Malaysia,In the 4th goal which India scored,The dodge,The Blistering Speed and the composure which Sumit Kumar showed while passing the Ball to Mandeep is what is needed in a forward in Today's Hockey(That ball carrying capacity,perfect example of a counter attack).
    I am 100% sure that had their roles been reversed,Mandeep would not have been able to make that goal for Sumit.

In the second goal against Canada as well,Sumit Kumar did the same.Had Mandeep been their in place of Sumit,i am 100% sure that he would have taken the Shot himself in place of passing it to Sumit.

Bro,Circle finishing is only one requirement out of many requirements that a striker should have.There are many other requirements which I have mentioned like,ball carrying,ball holding(kill time), passing,Physical Strength at times etc.

Just like a defender has to have a drag flick, scoop,dodge ability,passing ,composure,Physical Strength, Aggression etc.Only being a defender is not sufficient.People like Dipsan Turkey are suffering because if lack of Drag Flick option,Scoop as well.

So, when it comes to a complete forward, Mandeep Singh for me ,unfortunately isn't even in the Top 10 in The World.

Players like :-
    Mitton,Whetton(Aus) , Ruhr,Hauke(Germany)
    Kemperman,Zellermann,Hertzberger,Pruijser(Netherlands)
    Mazelli(Arg)
    Jackson(English)
    Boon(Belgium)
    Akashdeep,Ramandeep,Sunil(in their prime) are/were better than him.

Also,I have always said that Mandeep isn't a bad option to be on the bench/in the squad for Major Tournaments as well but he is not that special as some people may make him out to be.

munna219777RonnyCarbon_14spartareddevil87
    edited March 2019
    Totally agree with your analysis @Bad..no points to disagree there :)