Other Sports

Comments

• munna219777munna219777 28505 Points

“It’s disappointing to hear that the 51-kg category trials for the Tokyo Olympics qualifiers will not happen. All of us (51-kg boxers) are slogging it out in the national camp and what for? – we sacrifice everything to remain in best shape so that we can box for the country. The federation has earlier said gold and silver medallists will get direct entries for Olympic qualifiers and now we are hearing that the qualification norm for Olympic qualifiers could change, which is not good for the confidence of all boxers in the 51-kg category. Not just this weight class, trials should be held for every category irrespective of the reputation of the boxer,”

Why did they change the Rule at the last moment ? Gold and Silver were supposed to be exempted from Trials. Just because MaryKom won Bronze, Bronze is also exempted !!

• BadBad 5141 Points
    Hockey team is okay. Kothajit should have been picked instead of Grinder. This team should score at least 25 goals as an aggregate in 2 Olympic Qualifier matches against Russia.
    munna219777
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    Munna,is this team for the upcoming Olympic Qualifier against Russia??
    munna219777
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    @Bad ; Yes this is for the Qualifier.
  • NagendraNagendra Rajahmundry, A.P6481 Points
    edited October 2019
    ;Bad

bro.. u still didn't get my point..

as munna219777 said, Its different. Narsingh Yadav actually won Olympic Qualification on merit. It was tussle between him and Sushil after Narsingh has already won qualification.

I still stand whatever I said earlier about Narsingh  & Sushil... Sushil injured and Narsingh won us the Olympic quota.. suddenly from nowhere Sushil came into picture. I guess Sushil last competed in 2014 prior to his injury... Sushil has created all this drama and tried his luck as he has option only for trail. Narsingh even got death threats.

How can someone block talented Wrestler like Nikhat Zareen based on Mary Kom laurels...

Here if Nikhat Zareen injured and Mary won us the Olympic quota, I would say trail is unfair..
    munna219777
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    edited October 2019
    Nagendra,

Bro..I got your point from the outset itself. The post where I am saying that trial is not compulsory was a decoy post from me.

However,I feel you are not getting my point.

What you are saying is with respect to only the trials. You are okay if the trials are not conducted after a particular athlete has secured the Quota. In that case you feel that the Athlete who has secured the Quota should be sent to the Olympics.

I am going one step further. I am saying that if we have two or three World Class Competitors in a particular category then we should have trials before the Olympics as well between/among them to determine that who is in the best form just before the Olympics (rather than just sending the Athlete who has won the quota,because the Athlete who has earned the quota may not be in the best of form just before the Olympics whereas the Athlete who has not earned the quota might be in better form just before the Olympics.)

This Trial before the Olympics which I am suggesting(should be applicable more specifically in case if one of the Athlete who is vying for the Quota gets injured, to which you are saying that trial is unfair. I am saying that Trial in this case should also be conducted.
    The reason for this is as follows:-
    Take MaryKom and Nikhat as examples. Now, Mary is winning Medals  every almost at every event in which she is participating ever since her debut(let's say 18years). Now, suppose that all of a sudden Mary gets injured for 10-15 days(after winning a medal in every Tournament for past 18 years). Now,Mary is replaced by Nikhat in the upcoming qualifier and Nikhat wins a Quota place in the qualifiers. So, should Nikhat be sent to the Olympics because she won the quota where Mary was injured??? The answer is no.You can't send Nikhat just because she won a Quota in Mary's Absence. You can't ignore someone's work of 18 odd years just like that because she was injured for 10 days.

The best way to resolve this situation is that Trials should be conducted even after the Quota has been secured,just before the Olympics (let's say 1 month before Olympics,to judge who is in better shape and form just before it matters).eg) in Shooting 2016 Olympics,Sanjeev's Rajput's quota place was switched with Kynan Chennai because as the Olympics were approaching, Kynan was in much better form than Sanjeev Rajput.
    However, one thing which should be kept in mind here is that all the Competitors who are vying for that place are equally good and of same caliber. You can't compare oranges and apples here.

Eg) Sushil and Narsingh in 2016 were genuinely top class and of the same level.
    Bajrang and Yogeshwar in 2016 were of same level,if a situation would have arisen.
    Shiva Thapa and Manish Kaushik in Boxing are at similar level(with Kaushik just edging it currently)
    Naman Tanwar and Sanjeet are of similar level in Boxing.
    Mary and Nikhat could go head to head but I genuinely feel that Nikhat is not at Mary's level yet(in case of a trial bout I would fancy Mary to win at least 4 out of 5 matches).

• NagendraNagendra Rajahmundry, A.P6481 Points
    edited October 2019
    bro..I partially agree with you :) 

but my point here is rules should be set prior to qualification and federations shouldn't be biased/changing the rules based on past laurels or capability of competitors..

performance of athlete keeps changing.. even one bad or good day also changes the fate.. that doesn't mean federations can change rules constantly..

Reg Sushil and Narsingh:
    Narsingh were not informed prior to his Olympic qualification about trails. also I guess there is no rule if someone secured quota.. even Sushil didn't made any noise prior to Olympic qualification.
    In Sushil's case, he is injured and out for more than a year.. anyhow this is irrelevant now..

Reg MaryKom and Nikhat :
    First of all, none of the federation has right to block a talented competitor. If federation is sure that Mary is on different level, they need to arrange a trail as they have blocked Nikhat.
    Secondly, they were informed that only Gold & Silver medal holders are automatic qualifiers in women's category.. now why this U turn..
    Finally, reg injury... even if Mary is out for 1 day and Nikhat replaced her and won Gold/Silver in World Championship..
    If federation haven't informed about trail &  says Gold & Silver medal holders are automatic qualifiers in women's category.. They need to stand by rules... Rules are not set for broken..

I respect what ever Sushil & Mary has achieved..  U , me & all Indians will be happy if we win medals and/or medal contenders participate in Olympics.. But rules cannot be broken and biased decisions are unfair to competitors..

Also I'm not against trails... If trails are there, it should be for all and no exceptions..
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    Bro,Thanks to agreeing with me .

However, i feel that you are mixing issues.

You are blindly coming in support of the Athlete's who you like who are clearly (Narsingh Yadav and Nikhat Zareen).

When the same Wrestling Federation, supported and stuck by Narsingh Yadav over Sushil Kumar in 2016, despite Narsingh being accused of Doping and without him having any evidence to prove it otherwise, then the Federation was fine. They had an easy and obvious replacement in Sushil but they stuck their neck out for Narsingh, then everything was fine. Then,there was no injustice to India(being denied a medal chance at Olympics) and Sushil Kumar(who was 2 time Olympic Medal Winner and World Championship Gold Medal Winner) because he was being denied over a Dope Accused who didn't have any proof to prove it otherwise. Then the Federation was God's Avatar.

Now,when the same Federation sends Sushil Kumar after having conducted proper Trials and the Bout being showcased publicly(available on YouTube) ,then you say that Federation is Corrupted. The Federation is at Sushil's mercy,he is the incharge,he controls everything i.e the media, he even controls his opponents, he controls the referees, he gives death threats etc,he controls the umpires also etc.

Secondly,Regarding Mary Kom and Nikhat, you want to know the reason why the Federation is not interested in conducting Trials.The reason my friend is simple.

The reason is that they feel that both Pinki Jangra and Nikhat Zareen are not equals of MaryKom based on current form, technique etc i am not talking of the Legacy(and i agree with them on this point as i have seen all 3 of them fight ). I have also rated Nikhat Zareen very highly in the past and i am also a big supporter of her but she is not at that level where MaryKom currently is.

However, i agree to the fact that if they mentioned that Trials will be conducted in all categories except for Silver or Gold Winning categories, then Trials should have been conducted but wait there is one more issue with that:-

1)Now,if they conduct trials and supposedly Nikhat or Pinki win, then some of you guys will say that OH!!! we told you that Nikhat and Pinki were upcoming and very talented Boxer's blah blah blah!!!! and if Mary Kom will win, then some of you guys will say that This FEDERATION IS  CORRUPTED BECAUSE MARYKOM WON.

So,basically you guys won't let them breathe, just like some of you blame Wrestling Federation because Sushil was selected for World Championships despite winning the trials.

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29633 Points

Kiren Rijiju on Nikhat Zareen plea: Will ask BFI to take the best decision

nion Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju on Friday responded to boxer Nikhat Zareen's plea for a trial for the Asian Olympic qualifier, saying he would convey her grievance to the Boxing Federation of India (BFI).

In reply to Nikhat's letter for 'fair play', Rijiju took to the Twitter to send the message but was cautious enough not to overstep his limits.

"I'll surely convey to Boxing Federation to take the best decision keeping in mind the best interest of the NATION, SPORTS & ATHLETES. Although, Minister should not be involved in the selection of the players by the Sports Federations which are autonomous as per OLYMPIC CHARTER," Rijiju tweeted.

Nikhat replied, "Thank you so much sir for your immediate action. I just hope favouritism and nepotism doesn't take place for athletes who all work very hard to bring laurels for our country."

Nikhat's letter to Rijiju, seeking a trial in 51kg — which involves six-time World champion and London Olympic bronze medallist M.C. Mary Kom — for February's Olympic qualifier in Wuhan (China) received massive support on social media. Some top athletes, including Abhinav Bindra and Shiva Keshavan, lent support to it.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/boxing/kiren-rijiju-nikhat-zareen-boxing-tweet-bfi-selection-trial-51kg-mary-kom/article29733106.ece

munna219777