Other Sports

Comments

• namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    Feel privileged to be involved in organization of the 1st ever Khelo India University Games in Odisha.  Games officially start tomorrow. Opening Ceremony at 6pm.

Watch live on Star Sports First, Hotstar and DD Sports.
    munna219777Carbon_14Nagendraashindiaspartagiridharankartik91
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    India lost 3-4 to Australia in FIH Pro-League match today.

We started slowly in my opinion. India started with Akashdeep Singh and SV Sunil who are past their prime and utility for National Team. Mandeep Singh and Ramandeep were not there today. At one time Australia was leading 4-1 and we were not even getting Penalty corner.

Then our young brigade took over and started to dominate Australia. New player Raj Kumar Pal smacked two goals. Rupinder Pal Singh dissed out his trademark bullet like Penalty Corner goal. But we fell short and lost.

In my opinion, coach is trying various combinations for Olympics. Mandeep, Ramandeep and Rupinder Pal singh are a must in our squad. Some exciting young players are coming up.
    Likes of Akashdeep, S V Sunil should be given a goodbye now.
    BadNagendrakartik91
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    Raj was brought in the pitch for under 1 minute in last match and he impressed with his skills, just in a couple of moves. Great that he used this opportunity to the fullest
    munna219777BadNagendraashindiakartik91
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    I agree,the coach is constantly rotating among 25-30 players which he is finalised,which is actually the right way to proceed.
    The reason why we lost was because lf too many defensive lapses.

Akashdeep and likes of Sunil I feel would stick around till the Olympics but they are certainly not automatic starters like they were previously.

Also,Gurinder and Vivek Sagar have definitely showed improvement(but it has taken them 2-3 years) as I had predicted previously.

Raj looks like a decent player. A must for the Olympics in my opinion. I rate him him(not because of today) but in general. He is our third best midfielder in my opinion behind Manpreet and Chinglensana.

Lastly,Varun Kumar should be tried as I feel that he is definitely better than Amit and Birendra.
    munna219777Nagendraashindiakartik91
    edited February 2020
    India vs Australia game ended 2-2 in Regulation Time. In the subsequent Penalty shootout for Bonus points, India defeated Australia.

It was a strange game as Australia dominated us throughout. Aussies had two goals disallowed. They also missed two Penalty Strokes at different stages.
    India did take their chances with Rupinder Pal and Harmanpreet scoring thru Penalty Corners.

We made some mistakes and coaching staff have many things to ponder -
    Goalkeeper Pathak allowed a Goal from an angle which every international goalkeeper should cover.
    Jarmanpreet Singh missed a sitter in first half, something which a poacher like Mandeep Singh would have converted.
    Manpreet Singh has a habit of getting Green card at crucial juncture and putting team under pressure, In both games he got them.
    India started slowly in both their games against Australia.

On the positive side, Rupinder Pal Singh has now 5 goals in FIH ProLeague and is joint second in goal tally.
    We are in the top half of the league and next we play Germany in Berlin.

We are having best of preparation in recent times before Olympics. Our results against Netherlands, Belgium and now Australia will be a good confidence booster.

ashindiaBadkartik91
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    My Bad!!!

Only 16 entries in each category w.r.t Wrestling at the Olympics. It will not be 12-15 Wrestlers for us, but more around 8-10 because there are only 16 entries per category unlike the previous editions of the Olympics.

I didnt understand. There are 18 categories and a country can qualify for 1 at the max for each category. So Technically India can send 18 wrestlers - one in 6 Mens Freestyle, 6 Mens Greco roman and 1 in Womens Wrestling.
    How many can we qualify is another matter.
    Bad
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    You are right in what you are saying. What I was saying was that each category in Tokyo will have just 16 wrestlers whereas earlier there used to be more than 16(I.e 24-32). 24-36 wrestlers meant that more quota places were up for grabs. Based on this,I had predicted that 12-15 of our wrestlers had the potential of Qualifying for Tokyo Olympics across 18 categories(6 each in freestyle for Men and Women and 6 in Men's Greco-Roman) had there been 24-32 entries per category.

However, now since I have come to know that only 16 wrestlers will qualify for a particular category therefore now I am saying that 8-10 of wrestlers have the capability of Qualifying for the Olympics across 18 categories because the number of entries have been reduced to 16 instead of 24-32 entries which means quota places have been reduced therefore making it much more difficult to qualify.
    munna219777
    Yes you are correct.
    Nowadays getting qualified for Olympics in Boxing, wrestling is tougher then winning a medal in Commonwealth, Asian games or world championships.
  • samsam 16428 Points
    edited February 2020

TENTATIVE SQUADS

Asia XI:

KL Rahul, Shikhar Dhawan, Virat Kohli, Rishabh Pant, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammad Shami, Thisara Perera, Lasith Malinga, Rashid Khan, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Mustafizur Rahman, Tamim Iqbal, Mushfiqur Rahim, Liton Das, Sandeep Lamichhane.

World XI:

Alex Hales, Chris Gayle, Faf du Plessis (c), Nicholas Pooran, Brendan Taylor, Jonny Bairstow, Kieron Pollard, Adil Rashid, Sheldon Cottrell, Lungi Ngidi, Andrew Tye, Mitchell McClenaghan.

The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) on Monday announced the Asia XI squad which will face a World XI in a T20 series to commemorate the birth centenary of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, Bangladesh’s founding father.

KL Rahul (one game*), Virat Kohli*, Shikhar Dhawan, Rishabh Pant, Mohammad Shami and Kuldeep Yadav are among the six Indians in the 15-man squad, However, Kohli’s selection is subject to confirmation.

Considering the hectic schedule of the Indian team, it remains to be seen if the Indian captain makes him available for the games scheduled in Dhaka between March 18 to 22.