Football Tips

sabirsabir 46 Points
I dont know whether it is right section or right title to start on. So the Admin should step in if necessary. It is evident from some other threads that many of us are interested to get involved with the game. Some are still young and aspire to make it big; on the other hand some want to own a professional club in future. So, this thread is to share experience and expertise to improvement of football. Here, we will not be talking about infrastructure or coach. Only technical terms-speed, skill and strength- what you think is the short fall in our footballers and how you suggest to overcome that. Hope you will come forward to suggest.

BTW, in other thread I joked that India cant beat Korea even if they field 23 players against 11 Koreans. Then it came to my mind why our team dont practice like that. They can practice against local teams, say 2nd division Ileague teams with the opponent playing with 3-4 extra players. How can it help us? You have surely noticed our players (and other SAFF countries) take much time on average to control the ball. When they face any stronger team they look totally clueless. Because these players close in faster than our players are familiar with. Naturally, they keep on losing possession- either by holding too long or by mispassing. They need to be much more sharp to control and release the ball if they have to do good against stronger team. Playing aginst a 14-men side (even if weaker technically) can help immensely in this aspect. What do you say? (Admin you can change the title to a suitable one)

Comments

• There is a thread with called "Football Training Video's" which has video's which can help you when coaching or practicing your self. But this thread is good as well for say articles with tips.

Also the thread I mentioned above is in "Chill Out".
  • sabirsabir 46 Points
    Ok share ideas for which video is not available. You can share your training schedule too. If I am not wrong you are young and an upcoming player.
  • sabir wrote:
    Ok share ideas for which video is not available. You can share your training schedule too. If I am not wrong you are young and an upcoming player.

Gladly, also I am not an up and coming footballer. Right now I am thinking about if I want to stay with Red Bulls or not because what is the point of doing college and academy and if I make it get released in 1 season. That is what happens at Red Bulls. They sign at least 3 Academy players per season then they release them 1 year later, this only happens at Red Bulls.

As for my schedule, I am a non-residential player so I dont live with my teammates I am still at home.

On a school day. (ALL United States Eastern Time)

6:00 am: Wake-up and Get ready

7:49 am to 2:36 pm: School

3:00 pm: Come home and get changed into my gear and get my bag ready

3:20 pm: Out of the house and off to practice

4:00 pm: Get to Lubkin Field in Newark and go to the locker rooms.

4:15 pm: I am on the field and I practice

6:30 pm: Practice is over

7:20 pm: Come home and begin homework

12:00 am: Finish homework, shower, get bag ready and get into bed and come on this forum

DURING THE WEEKEND (All United States Eastern Time)

10:00 am: Wake up

10:00 am to 3:00 pm: Laze around

3:00 pm: Get ready and leave

4:00 pm: Get to the field

4:15 pm to 7:00 pm: Practice

8:00 pm: Come home and laze around (on a Sunday I would do homework instead of laze around)

12:00 am: Get ready for the next day and come on here.
  • sabirsabir 46 Points
    The Head Master of a school was watching the kids playing football; the game teacher standing beside him. The Head Master asked the game teacher, " Why so many boys are runnig behind a ball. We have enough money in school fund. Buy a ball for every player."

An old joke. But, if see ball control of our players, you may think, perhaps the Head master was very intelligent. Perhaps he knew the golden rule,"more time you spend with the ball, better will be your ball control". I heard I M vijayan used to take ball while going for sleep. So, I advise the kids at my home (now 6 &7 years) to play inside house if they are free (if it is not day time of course) ...wherever ball goes (under bed or table) drag only with feet (no use of hand), dribble whatever objects are there, go up and down stairs with ball.......I have noticed they have better ball control now in comparison with other kids.

For grown ups , I think slow motion practice will be very helpful. It is very simple, practising different football skills (especially shooting in different situation and angels) in slow motion but without ball. You may have seen Martial Artists doing it in movies. It is not that easy as it seems. If you try a kick in slow motion you will understand it is puting a lot of strain on your body muscles. Benefit- Perfection of techniques, makes muscles stronger and most importantly it improve your balance which is very very important for execution of techniques in playing condition.

Another thing you can borrow from martial Arts- Sand bags for heading practice. No, I amm not asking to head the sand bag but use it (if possible more than one) as dummy opponent. Ask one of your friend to keep the bags moving and other to throw (or kick) the ball at different height ; you go for head and allow your body collide with the sand bags. You will be nomore afraid of collission after few days. You will learn how to reach the ball avoiding the mass rushing at you (without removing your eyes from the ball) and of course your reflex action will bring all your muscles in full attention at the point of collision. Unfortunately the kids at home are too young to try this experiment. If anyone of you try this let me know the result. :D

• sabir wrote:
    The Head Master of a school was watching the kids playing football; the game teacher standing beside him. The Head Master asked the game teacher, " Why so many boys are runnig behind a ball. We have enough money in school fund. Buy a ball for every player."

An old joke. But, if see ball control of our players, you may think, perhaps the Head master was very intelligent. Perhaps he knew the golden rule,"more time you spend with the ball, better will be your ball control". I heard I M vijayan used to take ball while going for sleep. So, I advise the kids at my home (now 6 &7 years) to play inside house if they are free (if it is not day time of course) ...wherever ball goes (under bed or table) drag only with feet (no use of hand), dribble whatever objects are there, go up and down stairs with ball.......I have noticed they have better ball control now in comparison with other kids.

For grown ups , I think slow motion practice will be very helpful. It is very simple, practising different football skills (especially shooting in different situation and angels) in slow motion but without ball. You may have seen Martial Artists doing it in movies. It is not that easy as it seems. If you try a kick in slow motion you will understand it is puting a lot of strain on your body muscles. Benefit- Perfection of techniques, makes muscles stronger and most importantly it improve your balance which is very very important for execution of techniques in playing condition.

Another thing you can borrow from martial Arts- Sand bags for heading practice. No, I amm not asking to head the sand bag but use it (if possible more than one) as dummy opponent. Ask one of your friend to keep the bags moving and other to throw (or kick) the ball at different height ; you go for head and allow your body collide with the sand bags. You will be nomore afraid of collission after few days. You will learn how to reach the ball avoiding the mass rushing at you (without removing your eyes from the ball) and of course your reflex action will bring all your muscles in full attention at the point of collision. Unfortunately the kids at home are too young to try this experiment. If anyone of you try this let me know the result. :D

Haha we do something like this with my team. Instead of sandbags we use these American Football pads that are used for American Football practice (the players runs into the pad and pushes it) But for use instead of pushing it we head the ball ball while hitting it and thus making it easier and giving more confidence when hitting a defender in a game.

You sound like a good coach @sabir Would love to see your kids representing the India national team soon. That is what we need. More parental involvement. Clubs cant do all the work. Who is the one to introduce the sport to kids, the parents. Your doing a good job sabir. Keep it up. =D>
  • sabirsabir 46 Points
    BTW ...these are not my kids (though they are in our joint family) ....I am just married and no kid yet...Sometimes I joke to my wife that I will adopt a 10 years old Mizo kid ensuring he has good talent and pashion for football...:D
  • sabir wrote:
    BTW ...these are not my kids (though they are in our joint family) ....I am just married and no kid yet...Sometimes I joke to my wife that I will adopt a 10 years old Mizo kid ensuring he has good talent and pashion for football...:D

Your still setting a good example for your kids. If they make it to the big time then they have you to thank.
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    some easily applicable tips ..should be useful for many upcoming youngsters

swimming also helps a bit in getting yourself sport fit completely...
  • Swimming is great for after football practices, it relaxes your muscles and also reduces soreness.
  • sabirsabir 46 Points
    Another important thing is streaching. I have seen many kids dont like it and try to avoid it. If you want to be a top player you must do streching regularly. Give some fixed time to streaching of your legs. You must be doing front split. If you can do it you are in good shape. It will help you make your body flexible which in turns help you in execution of techniques; prevent nagging groin injuries. If you are not doing front split you are behind the standard.