PIO (Player of Indian Origin) Thread

Comments

• munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    edited June 2019
    Rules on Indian Citizenship from Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India

https://indiancitizenshiponline.nic.in/acquisition1.htm

If Omid Singh possess OCI card for last 5 years, he will need to live in India continously for 1 year and give up his Iran Passport to be eligible for Indian Citizenship.

If Omid do not have OCI (Overseas Citizenship of India card), then he will need to reside in India for 7 years to be eligible for Indian Citizenship. This is when he can prove his Indian descent.

If Omid cannot prove his India origin, then he will need to live in India for 12 years before being eligible for Indian citizenship.

Just being a Singh is not enough. His parents should show their Indian citizenship paperwork.

giridharanCarbon_14reddevil87sparta
  • NagendraNagendra Rajahmundry, A.P6470 Points
    Sarpreet Singh set to sign 3 years contract with FC Bayern Munich..  Initially will be playing along with Reserves in third division

A League to Bundesliga .. wow... 4 games in FIFA U 20 World cup and now with Bayern Munich
    Deb_BanRonnyashindiadeepumunna219777kartik91souravindia
  • SiVSiV 1853 Points
    edited July 2019
    Isl needs to have one quota for NRI footballers who has OCI card for last 5 years & willing to play for India.. So 5 foreigners plus one nri eligible...   This will help in quicker eligibility to play for India..  National team will benefit & we can become a potent force in Asia..   Need more creativity from Sunderraman & kushal das 
    goalkeeparharitrams24
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29623 Points
    Kushal Das is not exactly known for his creativity...he specializes in double-talk!! B)
    goalkeeparDeb_Bangiridharanmunna219777
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    edited July 2019

These are the complete Rules for Citizenship by Descent.

(2) By Descent (Section 4)

• A person born outside India on or after 26th January 1950 but before 10th December 1992
      is a citizen of India by descent, if his father was a citizen of India by birth at the time of his birth. In case the father was a citizen of India by descent only, that person shall not be a citizen of India, unless his birth is registered at an Indian Consulate within one year from the date of birth or with the permission of the Central Government, after the expiry of the said period.
    • A person born outside India on or after 10th December 1992 but before 3rd December, 2004, is considered as a citizen of India if either of his parents was a citizen of India by birth at the time of his birth. In case either of the parents was a citizen of India by descent, that person shall not be a citizen of India, unless his birth is registered at an Indian Consulate within one year from the date of birth or with the permission of the Central Government, after the expiry of the said period.
    • A person born outside India on or after 3rd Decmber, 2004 shall not be a citizen of India, unless the parents declare that the minor does not hold passport of another country and his birth is registered at an Indian consulate within one year of the date of birth or with the permission of the Central Government, after the expiry of the said period.

Procedure
    Application for registration of the birth of a minor child to an Indian consulate under Section 4(1) shall be made in Form-I and shall be accompanied by an undertaking in writing from the parents of such minor child that he does not hold the passport of another country.

Are they applicable only to minor child or those who do not possess passport of another country ??

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29623 Points
    Another PIO on whom there was some discussion in IFN some years ago

Football | Bending it like Beckham

Hailed as Norway’s Iniesta, footballer Harmeet Singh says the Indian pitch is his goal

n 2002, each morning, Harmeet Singh, yet to even hit adolescence, woke up in his compact apartment in an Oslo suburb to see posters of Ronaldinho and Henrik Larsson. Hoping to play like the Barcelona players someday, Singh would brave the bitter Norwegian cold to make it to training, but once he had a ball at his feet, he would become oblivious to the weather and of his otherness. In none of his footballing dreams had Singh, the son of Punjabi immigrants, imagined he would one day play for Norway, and he had certainly never thought he would one day score a goal against Barcelona.

"My father has been in Norway for 30 years now. He used to sell his wares in the markets of Ludhiana before that, so moving to Norway sounded like a lottery," says 28-year-old Singh. He is waiting for his flight to Helsinki where he plays for Helsingin Jalkapalloklubi in the Veikkausliiga, the premier division of Finnish football. His father, he says, worked three jobs. He remembers his parents were happy to let him play football, as along as his grades were good. "They’re both my biggest role models," he says.

As he gradually made a name for himself in local football circles, Singh soon earned a call-up to the Norway under-15 side. He would go on to earn 96 caps on his way to the under-23 side. "It was just like in the movies," he says. At Vålerenga, Singh won the Norwegian Cup in 2008. In 2012, he made his debut for the Norwegian national team with a friendly against Denmark and in the same year Dutch club Feyenoord made him an offer to come play for them. In the Netherlands, Singh transformed into a two-way player who would attack and defend.

During a friendly against Barcelona in 2010, Singh had commanded a fine orchestration of the midfield and scored a goal for Vålerenga, earning plaudits from then Barcelona coach, Pep Guardiola, and the title of 'Norwegian Iniesta' from the Spanish media. "It’s nice to get these tags, but humility is nicer. I would rather create my own identity," he says.

Singh believes he still has a few good years left in Europe, but eventually wants to play in India. "I know Indian football has grown a lot over the years. In the long run, I want to open a football school in India and help open doors for Indians to play in Europe," he says.

https://www.indiatoday.in/magazine/leisure/story/20190715-football-bending-it-like-beckham-1561939-2019-07-05

• samsam 16428 Points
    Meanwhile here in IFN can we make a list of PIO footballers with Indian passport or at least one of the parent's having Indian passport? Then Igor can have a look at the list 
    SiV
  • NaujawanNaujawan 1609 Points
    @sam I already made a list of POIs here, few posts earleir. It's from a game but I used fm editor as a database. All these players exist, I added their wikis. Don't know about passport though.
    Deb_BanSiVindian_gooner