Youth Football in India (News Thread)

Comments

• Yeah i agree, Kids need games. I think playing regional games is the way to go. I would like to see them play 50 plus games. I dont really care if all the teams they play against are class. Just need games,games,games. Plus maybe added bonus is they will improve the competition as well as themselves.

• I disagree. It does not matter how many games a team plays. Look at Tata Football Academy or SESA Football Academy as examples. They easily play more than 25 games a year and what has that done. Sure they are two of the best in India but that means nothing in terms of Asia even.

It does not matter how many games you play IF the games your playing in involve no increase in the footballing IQ. I can play 50 games but I wont become world class. You need proper guidance. 

Look at the Premier League U21 league. Arsenal U21s will play around 28 games this season. 28. And the players will come out much, much better. Why? They are being coached, week in and week out, by world class coaches. And the coaches dont need to be world class. Just know the basics to youth coaching. In the A-League, they play 18 games a season in the A-League National Youth League. Here in America it is the same (22 games actually).

The difference is though, the way we get coached. We improve. Keep in mind that a youths body is a lot more fragile than that of a professional. You dont want to overheat them out as well. That was America's problem and you have no idea how many kids I have seen stop playing due to that.

What I would suggest now for now is what the current format is but expand on it. Make the 3 groups of 5 teams each and have each team play each team in the group at a neutral venue 4 times. That is 16 games. Also have each team only play 2 games a week. So the First Round would be 16 games per team and 8 weeks long. Then the top 2 teams from each group will play in the Final Round of 6 teams. Each team plays each other twice for 10 games total in the Final Round and 26 games overall on the season.

Now this should only be for one season. Have the 6 teams that qualify for the next round be classified as "Grade A" youth teams. While the rest on classed as "Group B". Have "Group A" be the focus point. AIFF should work with them to ensure that they really are deserving to be "Class A". Then work with the "Class B" teams (which would be the 9 teams that fail to qualify for the Final Round). Have the 9 teams split into their own group of 4 in one group and 5 in the other. Have them play each other twice (for 8-10 games total). Classify the top 2 teams on each group as "Class B" officially and the rest as "Class C".

This should be the marker for the future of Indian football.
  • Maybe i was being to simply. Ok your idea of how it should be structured is one way that could improve young talent. Yeah coaching is the key, but playing more than 30 games doesnt mean being over coached or you will over heat the players, it all depends on the coach. (maybe 50+ is too much but that also depends on how you are coached and if adequate recovery time is given.)

I just believe that if you play you learn,(football IQ) practice makes perfect.  
  • > kali007 said:
    > Maybe i was being to simply. Ok your idea of how it should be structured is one way that could improve young talent. Yeah coaching is the key, but playing more than 30 games doesnt mean being over coached or you will over heat the players, it all depends on the coach. (maybe 50+ is too much but that also depends on how you are coached and if adequate recovery time is given.)

I just believe that if you play you learn,(football IQ) practice makes perfect.  

True. Honestly I already see many flaws with the way I want it to be. 

But one thing I will not see flaw in is the correct use of the state leagues. In Spain and Germany, not only do they have top youth teams (specially in Germany) but they also have Reserve (and maybe "C" teams) within the league system. In India we have something like that. We have the state leagues. In Australia, they are somewhat using them to their advantage.

In Australia the A-League happens during the summer while the state leagues are usually winter affairs. So after the A-League National Youth League season the A-League clubs loan there players out to the state league teams for experience. So not only do the young Aussies get 18 games in the A-League youth league but they could get a total of 30 games per season with the state league as well.

Same in the United States. We have U23 teams in the 4th tier and starting this season actually we will have Reserve teams in the 3rd tier. Pune FC have done this already in there Academy. Not only did the Pune FC Academy play in the I-League U20 last season but they also played in the Pune Senior Division and they won it.

Why not the other clubs. I get assurances from the Goan clubs that that is happening but then I look at the line-ups and, while they include more younger prospects then the average I-League game, you still see guys who should not even be in the state leagues like Ogba Kalu, Ryugi etc. Same in Kolkata. Shillong Lajong also played there Reserve side in there state league. Same with United Sikkim.

Mumbai also play there U19s in the youth league but the difference between Mumbai, Shillong, United Sikkim, and Pune is that despite all of them playing Reserves/Youth in the state leagues Pune FC is the only one that plays other tournaments. Making sure that there guys are playing.

So in conclusion, I am not offering a solution but I am put out there a theory. It is not about how many games you play OR how you coach the team. No. It is actually a mix of many things.

The goal of youth football is to find the right combination of the following:
    1) A good balance of Games.
    2) Coaching and playing styles.
    3) Structure within the team.
    4) Scouting.
    5) Infrastructure.

It is a very hard thing to perfect but if these things can be done effectively then we can progress. So far it seems Pune FC and the AIFF-FIFA Academies are making this work and making great strides but now we need to find a solution so we can see more I-League clubs following this.

For me, in India, it is all about having the following: 
    1) A good youth league that is around 20 games long.
    2) Utilizing the state leagues to groom new youth players while also keeping some Reserves fit.
    3) Improving the coaching methods. Being selective in who you want coaching the side.
    4) Infrastructure. Where they play and practice.
    5) Nutrition. Diets. How does the club help turn the player into not just a footballer but an athlete.

If we can do this then we will make progress.
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points

the only thing i can say is

Too much to ask for at this stage from clubs and federation to fulfil all the cases...
  • > shankar said:
    > the only thing i can say is

Too much to ask for at this stage from clubs and federation to fulfil all the cases...

Agree but at the same time you see nothing being done to gradually get to this. Everything seems barren at youth level while seniors are being payed 10x what they should be earning.