FEDERATION CUP 2014

Comments

• DomnicDomnic 2309 Points
    @keralakid. Are you gone mad or what. Why are you comparing manjeri to duler. When you should compare it to to an empty kochi stadium. Get real man. Dont behave naive.
  • JoyptanJoyptan 295 Points
    What a practice pitch given to East Bengal.

• shibiershibier 2996 Points
    @Domnic For your information , Yesterdays attendance for Eagles FC Vs PFC was double than a full packed Duler . Normally spectators would prefer to sit in the main stand which is rear side of the broadcasting camera . Thats why you have witnessed an empty stadium in the live coverage . But the actual case is tht total attendance was double than the full capacity of Duler.
    @joyptan the stadium it self is a luxury in Manjeri , They dont have any other option other than this ground . Malapuram and Thrissur is the place where AIFF should provide better infrastructure . Not because of the passionate fans but from these two districts most number of players came to play in National league.

• am very happy,all malayalam channels and news paper gvng a full report of fed cup.none of them report about i league...all r focusng abt manjeri than kochi.
  • wekaweka Alabama, United States245 Points
    Anyone got a telecast info for Ten Action for this competition? I wanna see some Indian freaking football.... 
  • manjeri now better than bengaluru ground,duler...no grass on thease grounds
  • only ground india that start a football match at prime time 8pm.that is manjeri.
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    Keralakid... are you high?
    Soccer-crazy Malappuram finally gets its big stage
    Quote:
    If Kolkata is considered the 'Mecca of Indian football', Malappuram district richly deserves the tag in Kerala. People bearing the names of football demigods Ronaldo or Messi are not uncommon here. 

The district has produced star footballers like U Sharaf Ali and Asif Saheer. Yet, the place which witnesses seven-a-side football tournament round the year didn't have the privilege of hosting a premier football tournament so far. 

The long wait of football frenzy fans of Malappuram will come to an end on Tuesday as the 35th Federation Cup football tournament begins at the newly-built Malappuram District Sports Complex Stadium, Manjeri. 

Powerhouses of Indian football like East Bengal, Dempo SC, Mohammedan Sporting and new entrants Bengaluru FC are slated to play here. Lack of proper accommodation facilities and practice grounds have forced the organisers to station the teams in nearby towns and none of them have ventured into the new stadium so far. 

But that hasn't deterred the fans here from visiting the stadium and getting a feel of the action waiting to unfold. 

"Malappuram should be declared as the football capital of Kerala," says Noushad, an autorickshaw driver. Noushad, who normally plies his rickshaw near Elankoor, a rural area near Manjeri, started parking his vehicle in front of the stadium. 

"I will be here till January 21. I will be happy carrying crazy fans to and fro. I can watch some big names in India football up close," Noushad said showing his season ticket for the Federation Cup. 

PM Sudhir, a physical education teacher with NSS College, Manjeri, too was excited that his hometown is hosting a premier football tourney. 

"It's a big event and everyone is trying his best to make it a big success. Tickets are already sold out for the opening match and we expect packed houses for all matches," said Sudhir, who is also the ground and equipment convenor of the tournament. 

Though there is a lot of excitement in the air, doubts have been expressed about the success of the tournament in Malappuram. Football fans in this part of the world are used to fast and furious seven-a-side game and if teams don't play to their potential then they may invite fans' ire too, said Mohun Bagan Wahid Sali. 

"I have doubts on the success of this event in Malappuram. In a seven's tournament they get to see their dream stars playing for a local team. 

But in Federation Cup, they will see many unknown players in action which may force them to opt out from watching the games if the initial matches don't live up to their expectations," said Wahid. 

Former Indian player and former State Bank of Travancore (SBT) coach NM Najeeb too sounded apprehensive. "I don't know how many loyal fans would come and watch the matches. 

The lone Kerala team, Eagles FC, is not playing here. So people here don't have a local team to support," said Najeeb. 

The kick-off is only a few hours away. One hopes the fans of Malappuram would make their first big national tournament a grand success.