New coach for Indian Football Team

Comments

• NagendraNagendra Rajahmundry, A.P6760 Points
    Since Stimac is leaving, its time to discuss on next N.T coach.

As we are poor technically, its better to go with coaches like Khalid & Owen. Even Manolo & Sergio are good options since they have good understanding of Indian players.

Bringing someone would take atleast 1 year to adopt to Indian football & players. Also for WCQ & ACQ matches, we should stick with at max 2-3 Home stadiums.. Playing across India is not a good option for world cup qualifiers.. If AIFF thinking about expanding the fan base, they can use N.T friendlies, SAFF cup , inter-continental cup & tri-series in new areas & states and we can't chances for WCQ matches.. 
    goalkeepargaffertapeindian_gooner
  • rathorevarun4 rathorevarun4 1665 Points
    Petr kratky should apply for the Indian team coach...
    He focuses on youth which Indian football need very much right now...
    gaffertape
  • dreamerdreamer india579 Points
     Igor Stimac sacked finally..IFN guys please share your thoughts on new NT coach.IMO perk hang seo is the best option who is a pragmatic & result oriented coach & fits our budget also.
  • souravindiasouravindia 3662 Points
    Whoever it is I want an Indian. If at all foreign coachbis needed it's at age group level till u17. 
    dev_pfc
  • MaddieMaddie ಮೈಸೂರು(Mysuru) / Canada2978 Points
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India30177 Points

Who after Igor Stimac? A case for why Indian coaches must be prioritised and who can be the next National team coach

List of Indian coaches from 2006-2024

• Bob Houghton [England] – 2006–2011
    • Armando Colaco (interim) [India] – 2011
    • Savio Medeira [India] – 2011–2012
    • Wim Koevermans [Netherlands] – 2012–2014
    • Stephen Constantine [England] – 2015–2019
    • Igor Stimac [Croatia] – 2019–2024

“I have had nothing against Stimac, but I have often wondered whether Indian coaches would get a similar long run. Results cannot come overnight, particularly when a coach has a new philosophy and new ideas,” Colaco had said in an interview with Times of India in 2022.

You need to give him time. You need to be patient. I could have achieved results with the national team but didn’t get time.” 

Now might be the right time for the Indian football think tank to ruminate on the prospect of looking at going the same way as the Japanese or England.

Mahesh Gawli, Khalid Jamil – A pragmatic solution

Mahesh Gawli has been the second-in-command of the National Team since 2022 and knows the current squad really well.

At the SAFF Championship last year, as Stimac watched from the stands, due to suspension, it was Gawli, who helped India beat Lebanon and Kuwait – both on penalties – in the semifinal and final.

Mahesh Gawli has been the second-in-command of the National Team since 2022 and knows the current squad really well. | Photo Credit: MURALI KUMAR K/The Hindu

Moreover, he has been India’s under-20 coach since October 2022, which makes it easier for him to know the youngsters coming into the senior team framework.

Though it is too early to judge Gawli’s stats as head coach – with him coaching a handful of games – it is clear that he operates in a 4-3-3 formation with a tendency to pass the ball forward instead of square passing.

Khalid Jamil, on the other hand, has been in the coaching circuit longer than Gawli and has proven his mettle as a contingency coach in the Indian domestic circuit, with Mumbai FC, NorthEast United and most recently, with Jamshedpur FC.

Jamil thrives with limited resources and could be the best bet as National team coach, given his credentials at Indian clubs.

Khalid Jamil has been in the coaching circuit longer than Gawli and has proven his mettle as a contingency coach in the Indian domestic circuit. | Photo Credit: BISWARANJAN ROUT/The Hindu

He helped Mumbai FC remain in the top flight with limited financial resources, guided Aizawl FC to its maiden I-League title (2016–17) and took NorthEast United from the bottom rungs of the Indian Super League (ISL) table to the semifinals in 2021, eventually becoming the first Indian coach in the league.

In his most recent job, at Jamshedpur FC, where he is still the coach, he helped the side finish as semifinalists in the Kalinga Super Cup after the departure of Scott Cooper.

Jamil’s style of play maintains a 4-2-3-1 formation, which falls back to a 5-3-2 when out of possession. He stresses on defence much more than attack, with consistent intensity against the opponent, which, at times, drains players more.

Jamil’s stats as manager (senior team):
    Matches: 282
    Won: 104
    Drawn: 87
    Lost: 91
    Goals scored: 416
    Win percentage: 36.88

Clifford Miranda – An organic approach

Clifford Miranda embodies everything that organic development of an Indian football coach upholds. He started as the coach of FC Goa’s youth side, winning the Goa Professional League in his first season in charge.

In the next season, he moved to the senior side as assistant coach and took over on an interim basis after head coach Sergio Lobera was sacked. Under him, the Gaurs won the ISL title and became the first Indian club to qualify for the AFC Champions League.

In his second stint with an ISL club, Odisha FC, he helped it win its first-ever major title, the Super Cup, which also saw him win the AIFF Men’s Coach of the Year 2023.

Miranda has enough domain knowledge about India’s youth infrastructure, which can further help in building a base for the National team.

Miranda has enough domain knowledge about India’s youth infrastructure, which can further help in building a base for the National team. | Photo Credit: SUDHAKARA JAIN/The Hindu

He has also worked as the head coach of the under-23 team, which keeps him more accustomed to the upcoming National team regulars.

However, his side lost both games in the U-23 AFC Asian Cup qualifiers, losing 1-2 to China and 0-3 to the United Arab Emirates – something that might go against him in his pursuit to become the senior team coach.

Miranda prefers a 4-4-2 formation with a double pivot to provide stability irrespective of possession. His style of play, through the pivots, ensures the control of space as wider players move and down the pitch with a midfield at most times of the game.

Miranda’s stats as manager (senior team):
    Matches: 16
    Won: 11
    Drawn: 1
    Lost: 4
    Goals scored: 39
    Win percentage: 68.75

Renedy Singh, Gouramangi Singh – More prospects from the domestic circuit

Renedy Singh impressed as coach when he took over as caretaker manager of East Bengal in the 2022-23 season, helping it finish the season with a narrow 0-1 loss and two draws in its final three games.

Renedy Singh impressed as coach when he took over as caretaker manager of East Bengal in the 2022-23 season. | Photo Credit: X/Bengaluru FC

The former India captain had been the assistant coach at a number of ISL sides, Pune City, East Bengal and Bengaluru FC, and also had a brief stint as head coach at I-League side Neroca FC.

As a result, his experience will be crucial in not just scouting youngsters from leagues below the ISL, but also in grooming them for bigger roles in the National team.

Renedy’s philosophy involves possession-based football, with a 4-1-4-1 or 4-3-2-1 shape, with emphasis on one-touch passes and quick build-up.

Though his time as assistant coach in the domestic circuit – and his reputation as a former National Team captain – will work in his favour, he is yet to win a game as head coach.

Renedy’s stats as manager (senior team):
    Matches: 4
    Won: 0
    Drawn: 3
    Lost: 1
    Goals scored: 1
    Win percentage: 0

Gouramangi Singh, another former National team veteran, moved into coaching in 2019, taking up the job of a first-team coach of Bengaluru United, which was competing in the BDFA first division league.

Bengaluru United won the BDFA division on consecutive occasions with him on the sidelines while he has continued to grow his resume, now serving as the assistant coach of FC Goa.

Gouramangi Singh, another former National team veteran, has continued to grow his resume, now serving as the assistant coach of FC Goa. | Photo Credit: IG/ Gouramangi Singh

However, the lack of senior team experience as head coach will be the biggest cause of concern if he is shortlisted in the race for National team coach.

For the Blue Tigers, competitive matches are done and dusted for the year, and its ranking is expected to fall further.

As a new coach’s arrival is imminent, only time will tell if a coach from the country lands a job and whether he can take the team back to its glory days, once realised by another Indian coach, Syed Abdul Rahim.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/football/indian-football/who-can-be-next-indian-football-coach-after-igor-stimac-sacked-as-india-national-team-manager-analysis/article68302699.ece

indian_gooner
  • indian_goonerindian_gooner 3504 Points
    'Clear payment within 10 days or...': Sacked Indian football coach Igor Stimac threatens to sue AIFF (msn.com)

Former India football coach Igor Stimac labeled his dismissal as "unilateral" and issued a threat on Tuesday, announcing plans to pursue legal action against the national federation through the FIFA Tribunal if his outstanding payments are not settled within the next 10 days.

Stimac strongly criticized All India Football Federation (AIFF) president Kalyan Chaubey, accusing him of repeatedly violating their contract. He squarely blamed Chaubey for India's inability to advance beyond the second round of the 2026 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers. Stimac also disclosed that his tenure in India had significantly impacted his health and stated his desire to sever all ties with the AIFF permanently.

"I kindly ask you to immediately, but not later in next ten (10) days, organize payment to me for this termination of the contract without just cause in the amount which will represent a residual value of my employment contract that was prematurely terminated from AIFF side...," Stimac said.

"This amount should represent the remaining value of my employment contract prematurely terminated by the AIFF, in accordance with Article 6 of Annex 2 of the FIFA Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players. Otherwise, I will start proceedings against the AIFF before the competent FIFA Football Tribunal and file a lawsuit," he added.

On Monday, Igor Stimac was dismissed as the head coach of the team by the AIFF, with his contract terminated a year ahead of schedule following the team's elimination from the World Cup Qualifiers, despite facing what was considered a manageable draw.

The 56-year-old Stimac, who has been in ongoing conflict with Chaubey, criticized the AIFF in a formal notice for what he deemed an unjustified removal from his position.

"Publishing something like this (his termination) prior to reaching the conversation with me is blatantly unprofessional and unethical," Stimac said.

Appointed as head coach in 2019, Igor Stimac received an extension until 2026 from the sport's governing body in October last year.

Under the terms of his new contract signed on October 5, 2023, which lacks a severance clause, the AIFF could be liable to pay Stimac the full remaining value of his contract, totaling a significant Rs six crore.

Highlighting what he described as "several acts of contract breach" by the AIFF in the past, Stimac accused Chaubey of "changing my public statement given to AIFF media".

"President Mr Chaubey together with SAI (Sports Authority of India) officials changed my official players list for the Asian Games adding three senior players and allowing ISL clubs to decide which players will represent the country at the Asian Games," Stimac blasted Chaubey.

"The way you organised the travel for our team going to China and back was unforgettable."

Stimac further claimed that Chaubey canceled his scheduled press conference following the AFC Asian Cup, where India did not secure any victories or score a goal.

The Croatian, who won a bronze medal at the 1998 World Cup, stated that his dealings with the AIFF over the past two years have negatively impacted his health.

"Hereby I am adding my lawyer Mr Radic to take over our communication because I don't want to speak or hear from AIFF anymore because AIFF has caused me enough health problems with its acts against me in the past two years. Your 'show cause notice' and 'final warning letter' did stop me from speaking the truth to Indian fans and it did give me two stents just prior to the AFC Asian Cup but didn't stop me (from) giving it all to my team and fighting with my boys for the country," he said.

Finally, he asserted that the current turmoil in Indian football was not caused by him or his staff.

The real AGgiridharan
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India30177 Points

AIFF keeps open mind, may even consider ISL coach

According to sources, there’s buzz within AIFF at the moment about coaches engaged with Indian Super League (ISL) clubs. FC Goa coach Manolo Marquez has admirers within the federation for his role in developing players while Owen Coyle (Chennaiyin FC) and Sergio Lobera (Odisha FC), both Shield winning coaches, are also being talked about.

At least two of these three coaches are expected to apply for the job. All of them have spent considerable time in Indian football and won trophies.

Other ISL-experienced coaches who are expected to apply are Antonio Habas (Mohun Bagan), Marco Pezzaiuoli, Simon Grayson (both Bengaluru FC) and possibly even current Afghanistan national team coach Ashley Westwood, who was big favourite for the job in 2016, until the technical committee voted for Stephen Constantine.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/goa/aiff-keeps-open-mind-may-even-consider-isl-coach/articleshow/111120610.cms

Besides, according to unconfirmed reports, former East Bengal (and current Australia U-20 NT coach) Trevor James Morgan and ex-Punjab FC coach Staikos Vergetis have also applied for the job
    indian_goonerdreamer
  • Sanjeev BiswasSanjeev Biswas 849 Points
    If I were in AIFF I would not select anyone from the list..maybe a Habas but he too is unwell. The rest would either be expensive or unfit for the job. I would select someone with pedigree of handling a team similar to India and also taking them far in the afc Asian cup or World Cup qualifiers. Unfortunately knowing the aiff and they it works I dnt think they will select someone like that.
    just hoping for the best!
    goalkeeparNagendragiridharan
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29699 Points
    Only Khalid Jamil can save indian NT
    Nagendragaffertapekarenesudhakar2050