One Nation One League: I-League-ISL Merger

Comments

• AKBAKB Kolkata3039 Points
    Good if both of them are there in the merged league, that would make numbers swell up to 12 but then is it practically possible to have 3 teams from North-East unless good sponsors come out for Lajong & Wahingdoh ?
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    We won't have relegation... nor should we initially. Once the ISL is sorted then work needs to be done with the state leagues and tournaments. Slowly build a system... not rush into it with a 2nd Division when there is no need.
    atuljgAshleshDomnickuldeep007
  • indianFootballFanindianFootballFan India4496 Points
    I would suggest that the merged league should start with 10 teams with no relegation. But there should exist a 2nd Division league with top two teams getting promotion. This can go upto three seasons, after which it would be 16 teams in top division. Then we can have regular promotion-relegation.
    What say?
    atuljgkartik91
  • atuljgatuljg Trivandrum3983 Points
    Without a solid second division with potential for revenue generation, first division teams will die if relegated. As of now, the difference between the two divisions is huge.
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    If we go with that then why not join the league a year earlier? Seriously? First off, we need some stability. Currently we have a huge checklist, from youth development to making sure certain teams can even stay afloat. Adding 2 more teams is fine cause it is only going from 8 to 10 and the proposed teams make sense... going further would not make sense for at least 3-5 years. You would be diluting the quality of the league and we would have the current 10 to worry about... get them right before adding more.

Also, when more additions are made, they will most likely be expansion teams from places like Hyderabad or Punjab and I don't mean Fateh Hyderabad or Minerva. Bengaluru FC, East Bengal, and Mohun Bagan are special cases... we are not going to see anything like that for the ISL again.

Once the ISL/I-League merger thing is done the AIFF should focus there attention on the state leagues, making them more stable, making the clubs/federations more stable/organized and build a system and then eventually get a proper domestic cup running again. No need for a 2nd Division national league and IMG-Reliance won't allow any more teams after going to 10.
    AshleshBrainFallINDIADomnicatuljgkuldeep007
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9967 Points
    There won't be promotion-relegation: you heard it. This is imaginable because as @Atuljg rightly said that the quality difference would be huge. Add financial power differences to that.

Which means no Second Division. In all probability the structure would be simply a national league and state leagues below it, with no linkages whatsoever between the two. Maybe the Fed Cup will be revived. The National League (the ISL ;) ) would enlarge by creating new franchisees.

I still feel unsure about the players' pool and also about the willingness of youngsters to take up football as profession (as there would be lesser openings).
    ArsenalFan700kartik91atuljg
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29264 Points
    @footydip Ukod means "A person who talks Bullshit" and not open.
    kartik91footydipDomnicmunna219777
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9967 Points
    That feature -- or I dare say gossip -- started new activities in this thread.
    munna219777