India at Tokyo 2020: A Roadmap

Comments

• ashindiaashindia 9254 Points
    Its a very poor performance especially the way he wasted 2 mins just with 1 point lead. WTF was he thinking ? World Championship silver medalist gotta do much much better. Spoilt a very good Day for India
    Darkomunna219777
  • So tomorrow highly rated gold medal contender bajrang punia will play...
    We all knows what happened to manu,Deepika,vinesh,Amit so let see can he end India's gold medal drought or he will also choke in first round itself
    Baki umeed to ab neeraj Bhai se hai 
    Ek gold to aa hi jae yar....
    munna219777
  • DarkoDarko Mumbai177 Points
    edited August 2021
    Such a brainless and spineless performance from Punia. Never impressed me even in his earlier bouts. Passive, clueless and totally lacking game awareness.

And I just don't understand this mediocrity in which we live today, where PM, HM, Sports Minister and all hot shots are congratulating Punia for "fighting hard"?!@? What the hell!

I read the last few posts and I fail to understand why people still cling on to the erroneous and ignorant belief that a MENTALLY WEAK can become MENTALLY STRONG by TRAINING.

MENTAL TOUGHNESS is an inherent quality that is gradually accumulated over a lifetime with consistent demonstration of WINNER BEHAVIOR in crunch situations. It is part of your identity. You SEE yourself as a WINNER and that is backed up with PAST EXPERIENCE. You can't simply train someone to be a winner if he has a track record of choking in crucial situations. All that you can do is start with a strong profile with 7-8/10 in MENTAL TOUGHNESS & condition it to 9/10. You can't pick someone with 4-5/10 and make it 8-9/10. Just like you can't transform a Maruti into a Ferrari, no matter if you even replace Maruti's engine with Ferrari's.
    ashindia
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    Darko said:
    Such a brainless and spineless performance from Punia. Never impressed me even in his earlier bouts. Passive, clueless and totally lacking game awareness.

And I just don't understand this mediocrity in which we live today, where PM, HM, Sports Minister and all hot shots are congratulating Punia for "fighting hard"?!@? What the hell!

I read the last few posts and I fail to understand why people still cling on to the erroneous and ignorant belief that a MENTALLY WEAK can become MENTALLY STRONG by TRAINING.

MENTAL TOUGHNESS is an inherent quality that is gradually accumulated over a lifetime with consistent demonstration of WINNER BEHAVIOR in crunch situations. It is part of your identity. You SEE yourself as a WINNER and that is backed up with PAST EXPERIENCE. You can't simply train someone to be a winner if he has a track record of choking in crucial situations. All that you can do is start with a strong profile with 7-8/10 in MENTAL TOUGHNESS & condition it to 9/10. You can't pick someone with 4-5/10 and make it 8-9/10. Just like you can't transform a Maruti into a Ferrari, no matter if you even replace Maruti's engine with Ferrari's.
    A top player never takes these appreciations and criticism seriously. These people are sitting in positions of high esteem. They can't criticise him. Moreover, since technically he lost in last few seconds so they are bound motivate him because rest assured whether you like him or dislike but the fact is that even "Deepak Punia won't be able to sleep tonight."

He never impressed me as well. However,the draw he got was favourable that is why I thought that he could win a medal(and he was mighty close, probably should have won that match).

I strongly believe with the body frame he has got he should try to switch to 74kg category. 86kg is too powerful for him.
    Carbon_14deepuDarkokartik91
    edited August 2021
    Can some expert throw light on these NGOs like Olympic Gold Quest, JWS Sports and the likes? What exactly is the role that they play in the overall Olympic scheme - funding, infra, coaching, lobbying?
    Bad said:
    Darko said:

A top player never takes these appreciations and criticism seriously. These people are sitting in positions of high esteem. They can't criticise him. Moreover, since technically he lost in last few seconds so they are bound motivate him because rest assured whether you like him or dislike but the fact is that even "Deepak Punia won't be able to sleep tonight."

He never impressed me as well. However,the draw he got was favourable that is why I thought that he could win a medal(and he was mighty close, probably should have won that match).

I strongly believe with the body frame he has got he should try to switch to 74kg category. 86kg is too powerful for him.

Hi Bad,

I'm not saying that the politicians should not criticize the athletes, but that, in the first place, there is no need to hype the athletes and create undue pressure on them. And then there is no need to shower these template-filled congratulatory/consolation messages on SM when you have no clue as to whether a wrestler fought well or didn't fight at all. Looks ignorant, desperate & cringe-worthy. Talk is cheap. Let your actions speak by increasing funding or infra.

And some very good points that you raised on the weight categories of Vinesh & Deepak. But I'm really baffled as to why didn't the coaches pick up on this??? Both looked out of their depth in their respective bouts... do the wrestlers jump the categories best fit for their profiles just so to avoid a tough opponent in that category? What's the thinking behind such switches?

And also, I felt that the conditioning was below-par. It is plain stupid and against the basic tenets of coaching to make an athlete undergo an intense workload cycle months before the competition - they can get injured, depletion of strength, giving away their tactics to opponents, etc. Look at David Taylor - he did not majorly participate in any tournament in the last year - just pure strength conditioning and look at his performance - so fresh, so hungry.

masefieldtheoilfieldashindia
    Our sarkari babus think that "jitna exposure mil jaaye, badhiya hai!" Great coaching is generally counter-intuitive.

Just glance at Clyde Hart's philosophy - Train SLOWER to Race Faster

In case you don't know who Clyde Hart is - he coached Michael Johnson, Jeremy Wariner and Darold Williamson to Gold Medals in 400 meters. One of the legendary 400 meters coach.