2016–17 I-League Round 3

ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
edited January 2017 in I league
It is midnight for me, I just got an internship and have a week to sort everything out so do you really expect me to get this round thread up and running? Fuck ya you do!

What up guys! Round 3 of the I-League has already arrived and the league is starting to shape up. Bengaluru FC and Mohun Bagan are, predictably, the two front runners after the first two rounds but also with them with 6 points out of 6 are the surprise team so far with no foreigners, Mumbai FC. Things will change though here when Mumbai visit Bangalore on Wednesday. Meanwhile, at the other end of the table, Shillong Lajong and DSK Shivajians have began their campaigns with two defeats but now both sides have good opportunities to change their fortunes this round. Churchill Brothers, on the other hand, have a bit of work to do against East Bengal.

The round begins today with Aizawl hosting Shillong Lajong in a NorthEast Indian Derby! Khalid Jamil has had a "lucky" start to his career with Aizawl, gaining 4 points from his first 2 matches in charge. Jamil has also seen Aizawl score 2 goals this season, unfortunately both of those goals were own goals. Jamil will need some goals from Aizawl players here if they are to continue their run. Meanwhile, Thangboi Singto's men will be looking for their first goal of the season and a change of fortune in defense. So far their backline has conceded 5 goals from the opening two matches. Both sides have things riding here today and it should make for an entertaining derby.

The second match of the day will see Mohun Bagan host Minerva Punjab. Is there much to talk about here? Mohun Bagan dispatched Shillong Lajong 2-0 and Churchill Brothers 1-0. There defense has been very solid so far and Minerva have not looked good at all in front of goal, scoring zero goals up till now. Victor Amobi may be one of the best in Nepal but that won't exactly translate fully in Indian football while Manandeep Singh and Uttam Rai have yet to click. With Bagan hosting, this should be an entertaining match... for Bagan fans and neutrals.

Finally, the day will end with DSK Shivajians hosting Chennai City. This will be the biggest match for Dave Rogers and his men so far. Zero points from their opening two matches is not what anyone probably expected from this side. They have looked toothless in front of goal and not as stable in the back. However, perhaps hosting one of the unfavorable sides in the league on paper could help change things for the Pune based club. Chennai City will probably, like against Bengaluru FC, have a lot of defensive work to do.

The round continues and ends the next day on Wednesday. First match in Goa between Churchill Brothers and East Bengal. This fixture used to be considered one of the prime fixtures in the I-League a few years ago but whether that can be said now is debatable. This is not the same Churchill Brothers from those seasons and this East Bengal side is prime for another victory after their win in Pune. No word as of yet of any new foreigners for Churchill or any new Indians to reinforce a side that lost at home to Mumbai over the weekend. Will be interesting to see how Alfred Fernandes' men shape up against Trevor Morgan's side.

And finally, the most unlikely of top of the table clashes... Bengaluru FC hosting Mumbai FC. Albert Roca has enjoyed a great start to his coaching career in India. Two wins from two, five goals scored, none conceded. It has been a great start for the reigning champions, especially with these matches being at home. Mumbai FC meanwhile have enjoyed a surprising start to the season. Competing with no foreigners and with some players only being in training for a week or two, they have succeeded in a 1-0 victory over DSK before coming from behind to defeat Churchill Brothers in Goa over the weekend. They have proven themselves to be fighters so Bengaluru FC may just be in for their toughest match up yet.

So there we have it. I deserve props for coming up with this on short notice and my finger is numb.

Matches:
Tuesday, 17 January 2017:
- Aizawl vs. Shillong Lajong (Rajiv Gandhi Stadium; 13:30).
- Mohun Bagan vs. Minerva Punjab (Sarobar Stadium; 16:30).
- DSK Shivajians vs. Chennai City (Balewadi Stadium; 19:00).

Wednesday, 18 January 2017:
- Churchill Brothers vs. East Bengal (Tilak Maidan Stadium; 16:30).
- Bengaluru FC vs. Mumbai FC (Sree Kantereeva Stadium; 19:00).
indianFootballFanDeb_BanthebeautifulgameCarbon_14The real AGfootydipkartik91

Comments