Premier League Soccer - General Discussion

Comments

• And it begins. Looks like the league will have 5 teams and not 6. Good job PLS, they are really looking at the predicted 1 year league.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/top-stories/Premier-League-Soccer-Barasat-goes-for-Rs-25-15-crore/articleshow/11678919.cms"; onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spor ... 678919.cms</a><!-- m -->
  • imsouravimsourav kolkata659 Points
    I don't think barasat's vidyasagar stadium is the best among all other district grounds. But the most plus point of barasat is its football crazy youth. There are lots of quality institutions and colleges there, so the youth market is bigger than other districts. Probably durgapur is way ahead interms of infra and hospitality than other towns but still it lacks that market that will encourage investors. Kolkata is already divided in east bengal and mohun bagan, and they say the fans are born generation after generations. So it will be difficult to get good support for PLS.
    i guess thats why barasat (it is within greater kolkata) was more profitable bid
  • I don't think barasat's vidyasagar stadium is the best among all other district grounds. But the most plus point of barasat is its football crazy youth. There are lots of quality institutions and colleges there, so the youth market is bigger than other districts. Probably durgapur is way ahead interms of infra and hospitality than other towns but still it lacks that market that will encourage investors. Kolkata is already divided in east bengal and mohun bagan, and they say the fans are born generation after generations. So it will be difficult to get good support for PLS.
    i guess thats why barasat (it is within greater kolkata) was more profitable bid

That is also the ONLY reason I like this PLS league. Maybe it will finally wake East Bengal and Mohun Bagan up and they will start investing more into West Bengal youth. Its going to be tougher now because the Indians in the PLS are youth players so EB and MB need to start splashing cash and start making some Academies (yes they need more than one Academy, have 4 youth academies each around West Bengal for u13 teams, 4 youth academies each for u16 and have 2 youth academies each for u19 and have just 1 main under-19 team for the I-League, that way they will scout all of the West Bengali youth which like I said will be tougher to find now.
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9957 Points
    Bengali people even outside Kolkata are also divided along club lines between the big two (actually, the big three if one counts MSC as well). It is a social -- and probably semi-ethnic -- thing; that is, every Bengali is included in either Ghoti or Bangal group by birth even though he/she is not a football enthusiastic. So, historically there is no space for a third social group in Bengal other than MB or EB. I have seen this group loyalty stronger in younger generation as well, though others may differ in opinion.

But this city loyalty is a new thing. Till now, fans did not have options other than following the Big Two. Now they have, albeit for a limited duration. Though I think MB/ EB will not feel threatened for shrinking fan bases. A Barasat fan may also be EB fan or a Durgapur fan a MB fan. I see is to stay likewise (dual loyalty) as long as they are kept separate. It would be interesting to see what happens when they play in the same tournaments.

Incidentally, IMO, MB and EB are never going to wake up. In fact, their managements have a vested interest for not to develop … they might lose the controls over the clubs. They are happy over wins in the annual derby.
  • Bengali people even outside Kolkata are also divided along club lines between the big two (actually, the big three if one counts MSC as well). It is a social -- and probably semi-ethnic -- thing; that is, every Bengali is included in either Ghoti or Bangal group by birth even though he/she is not a football enthusiastic. So, historically there is no space for a third social group in Bengal other than MB or EB. I have seen this group loyalty stronger in younger generation as well, though others may differ in opinion.

But this city loyalty is a new thing. Till now, fans did not have options other than following the Big Two. Now they have, albeit for a limited duration. Though I think MB/ EB will not feel threatened for shrinking fan bases. A Barasat fan may also be EB fan or a Durgapur fan a MB fan. I see is to stay likewise (dual loyalty) as long as they are kept separate. It would be interesting to see what happens when they play in the same tournaments.

Incidentally, IMO, MB and EB are never going to wake up. In fact, their managements have a vested interest for not to develop … they might lose the controls over the clubs. They are happy over wins in the annual derby.

Well one can hope that the guys at EB and MB wake up.

Also I think that is how it will be. The average fan will have there favorite PLS team and favorite I-League team. Its like me over here in New York. I am a New York Red Bulls fan (MLS - 1st Division) and a FC New York fan (USL Pro - 3rd Division). So it can still work but I mean youth PLAYERS. How will this effect scouting for youngsters in Bengal for I-League teams.
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9957 Points
    Well one can hope that the guys at EB and MB wake up.

Also I think that is how it will be. The average fan will have there favorite PLS team and favorite I-League team. Its like me over here in New York. I am a New York Red Bulls fan (MLS - 1st Division) and a FC New York fan (USL Pro - 3rd Division). So it can still work but I mean youth PLAYERS. How will this effect scouting for youngsters in Bengal for I-League teams.
    Absolutely. Also I wonder how many hats you wear – a formidable collection of hats considering you are an Arsenal fan as well ;-).

With all their shortcomings, EB/ MB have good scouting system at least in Kolkata and suburbs. So their feeder line shall remain unchanged I guess.

But I have a doubt on the PLS teams’ scouting system and its effectiveness. Given that PLS will at best a seasonal tournament, how many young players will be attracted to them is anybody’s guess. What would they (and other Indian players, for that matter) do after this two-and-half month affair is over. And an offshoot of this question is: if any Indian player shines within this short span (some will, of course), should they be considered for national duty? If no, then PLS is NOT integrated with Indian football system and will be doomed.
  • Well one can hope that the guys at EB and MB wake up.

Absolutely. Also I wonder how many hats you wear – a formidable collection of hats considering you are an Arsenal fan as well ;-).

With all their shortcomings, EB/ MB have good scouting system at least in Kolkata and suburbs. So their feeder line shall remain unchanged I guess.

But I have a doubt on the PLS teams’ scouting system and its effectiveness. Given that PLS will at best a seasonal tournament, how many young players will be attracted to them is anybody’s guess. What would they (and other Indian players, for that matter) do after this two-and-half month affair is over. And an offshoot of this question is: if any Indian player shines within this short span (some will, of course), should they be considered for national duty? If no, then PLS is NOT integrated with Indian football system and will be doomed.

1) One day I will video all 33 of my hats and post them here.

2) That is my worry for PLS. They are more relient on foreigners then local Indians. Sure I-League is to but PLS uses foreigners for everything, marketing, players etc. They never mention any Indians.
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    In PLS, the franchisee are spending a lot of money. The matches will be broadcast worldwide and they would want the viewers to remain interested. If they field a whole set of locals, you know what is going to happen! I would rather look at it as a fantastic idea as 4-5 locals will play alongside good players and will try to match up to them. For 2 months they will have world class mentors. They are surely going to benefit. I am hoping this PLS will throw up a local star!
  • AdminAdmin 240 Points
    Signings so far....
    Courtesy : Vaibhav Lampard from Facebook

HOWRAH- Fernando Cuoto,Robert Pires,Byun Yoo Chui,Diego Madriegal,Jose Gabriel Rios

KOLKATA- Peter Reid,Robbie Fowler,Park Ji Seung,Daniel Varela,Robert Egbeta

DURGAPUR- Samson Siasia,JAY JAY Okocha,Kim Bong Kyeom,Jose Carlos Castillo,Alonso Solis

SILIGURI- Etchverry,Fabio Cannavaro,Hwang Gyu Hwan,Limberg Guttierez,Santino Quranta

BARASAT- Teitur Thodarsan,Hernan Crespo,Park Yoon Chui,Christian Lara,Joaquin Dotero
  • AdminAdmin 240 Points
    Barasat named Euro Musketeers, to rope in Bhaichung

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.indianfootballnetwork.com/blog/2012/01/30/premier-league-soccer-barasat-named-euro-musketeers-to-rope-in-baichung/"; onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.indianfootballnetwork.com/bl ... -baichung/</a><!-- m -->