Sunil Chhetri

Comments

• What was Nirmal chetri doing smiling sheepishly cradled between Joe Morrison and Palmer yesterday before the ManU game against Ajax ? Man, he was looking so funny, can barely speak English and no matter how much he be touted as an Indian "national team" player, this guy cannot tackle properly, even someone like N D Opara just runs through him leaving him crawling on the pitch. Gurwinder any day is better than him, can slide and tackle and is not that flimsy that a striker would run through him, no wonder he always gets to pair Uga Okpara in the starting eleven whenever fit.
  • Bhaichung did all this towards the end of his career in a desperate effort to prolong it although during his heydays, he would rather let his goal scoring do the talking. I am seriously pissed that instead of working on their game, Sunil and Nirmal Chetri are indulging in all such marketing and PR antics so early on in their career, taking a cue from their guru bhaichung bhai.
  • This morning I read an article on the Washington post Social Reader about Gambhir fuming at Dhoni's showpony antics. These two Chetri's are turning out to be Indian football's showponies. Sunil scores a few against SAFF teams or say a team like Malaysia with more or less equivalent rank and then spends the rest of the season cradling himself in the laps of cuties for liquor ads or whaever ads.
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    Can we take it a little easy? i mean he is not as bad as u r trying to emphasize certainly. It is almost starting to look like a personal vendetta! And i was almost convinced by your arguments until i thought over that again. I completely support the idea of marketing yourself. What is wrong in that? He is not blowing it away ala Robin Singh, a wannabe. He keeps his game tight and that's about it.

i agree that he is hard to find with the ball for his club. But then I seriously think it is due to the presence of Odafa. If you remember the game in the earlier stages when Odafa was sitting out, Sunil/Ashim combo was wonderful and made the game so attractive vis-a-vis when all the balls lead to Odafa.

He is not the kind of player who would build the game from midfield by himself and then score. It is his limitation. He belongs to the genre of Brazilian Ronaldo who are opportunistic striker and can also crate chnces for others inside the D which is good.

In MB, he is not getting that kind of opportunity because of a pathetic midfield the moronic MB officials have built
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points
    Sunil and Nirmal Chetri are indulging in all such marketing and PR antics so early on in their career, taking a cue from their guru bhaichung bhai.

esp. Nirmal Chetri, he has done nothing much to actually indulge in all these. Sunil atleast has done somethings right. But still I think they need to work on their game more.
  • I am fully aware of a bunch of Sunil Chetri worshipper's here who will blame Kolkata clubs and their officials for everything but Sunil Chetri and Bhaichung Bhutia to them can do no wrong, very much in line with Bob Houghton's, Sunil Chetri's and Bhaichung Bhutia smear campaign on the Kolkata clubs until about a couple years ago. There is a saying that it's bearable if a cow who gives milk every day kicks you but an empty cowshed is far better than a cow who indulges in all kinds of mischief and gives no milk. Bhaichung Bhutia at least gave milk until around 2007-08 but Sunil Chetri is turning out to be the worst kind and now, Nirmal Chetri, OMG, such awful showponies in Indian football.
  • Well, I might have a personal vendetta against him, what about a bunch of fans on MB facebook groups. I shared arsenalfan's picture and all comments show how frustrated the fans are with his antics, forget blaming Odafa. Everyone knows Odafa essayed him at least half a dozen throughs, gilt edged chances which he totally missed. There's absolutely no dearth of balls being fed to him in each and every match, he just has such a pathetic strike rate against not only Nigerian or Australian defenders, but even technically correct Indian defenders like Mahesh Gawli, Deepak Mondal, Arnab Mondal.
  • Well, I might have a personal vendetta against him, what about a bunch of fans on MB facebook groups. I shared arsenalfan's picture and all comments show how frustrated the fans are with his antics, forget blaming Odafa. Everyone knows Odafa essayed him at least half a dozen throughs, gilt edged chances which he totally missed. There's absolutely no dearth of balls being fed to him in each and every match, he just has such a pathetic strike rate against not only Nigerian or Australian defenders, but even technically correct Indian defenders like Mahesh Gawli, Deepak Mondal, Arnab Mondal.
    i totally agree with u....i am also a big MMB fan...hoped a lot from sunil but ashim biswas delivered better than chettri
  • While I do NOT agree with the team recruiting at Mohun Bagan for the last couple seasons, I have no hesitation in pointing out the lack of professionalism on part of Sunil Chetri and last couple years of Baichung Bhutia in club football given the smear campaign citing deficiencies in professionalism of the Calcutta premier clubs both of them launched a couple years ago along with Bob Houghton. If that makes Chetri and Bhutia worshippers think that I have a personal vendetta against the aforementioned national football players, be it so.
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    He scored 7 in 7 for Prayag last season if you remember. that is a hell of a strike rate! And that neutralizes one of the points you made earlier. You said that in a sub-premium team like SLFC etc he will not be successful for whatever reasons along with the fact that he will be the lone striker and marked heavily. Well he has proven he can dump his markers.

Chhetri is the kind of player who will need a moderate mid-field to perform. You need to give him that!