2015-16 I-League Round 3: The Kolkata Derby

ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
edited January 2016 in I-League 2015-16
So someone needs to give me deadlines here because surely I am starting to feel the heat from these previews haha, anyway, it was cold night so far, coming back to my room after a long 9 hours in the air and 12 hours of travel overall and with the guys seat in front of me malfunction and plummeting down on top of me and nearly hurting me... fun stuff British Airways and ass**** college frat people. Anyway, enough about your god, me, and more onto the football and the I-League.

Unfortunately, in my quest to actually get ready for college and rest, there was an I-League game that already happened this round, with Aizawl hosting DSK Shivajians. Both sides playing in their first ever I-League seasons and from the looks of it, Aizawl have won the match 2-0 to the delight of their adoring fans. For Aizawl this will be a massive victory as they are certainly the underdogs for this season and for DSK Shivajians, I doubt anyone really cares.

Tomorrow will see the Kolkata derby.... probably the best derby in Asia and one of the best in the world! Mohun Bagan, a club over 125 years old now, the current champions of Indian football and self-titled the National Club of Indiawill lock horns with the gold and red, the club that the Mariners would have envied not to long ago for the stability found under Trevor Morgan, East Bengal. The last time these two foes met was in the Calcutta Football League. The prodigious display from a South Korean youngster swiftly dashed the hopes of the Maroon and Green and gave light to those who supported the other side. East Bengal ran out as magnificent winners 4-0 and also won the Calcutta Football League at the same time.

Now Bagan will be looking for revenge. Currently on top of the table, Sanjoy Sen's men have started very well with new signing Cornell Glen firing on all cylinders so far and Balwant Singh on form early on as well. There will also be a super boost for Mohun Bagan in last years find of the season, Sony Norde. The Haitian international is back from international duty and will find himself returning to India in the most hostile fixture of the season. East Bengal are still finding their groove but can still call upon the goalscoring threat of Ranti Martins and now the defensive protection of Bernard Mendy. The former Hull City defender comes from Indian Super League champions, Chennaiyin, and will provide Glen and company a rock to break down.

The round will conclude on Sunday with Mumbai hosting Salgaocar at the Cooperage Ground. Mumbai opened their home account with a 0-0 draw but their return to Mumbai was greeted with many supporters. The side will be counting on that support to show again as they strive for their first goal and win of the season. Malky Thomson's men meanwhile will look to change their fortunes after losing the first two games of the season. With both Duffy and Scott out, the Scot will have to improvise if he is to reverse their luck so far.

The final match will see Bengaluru FC host their first match of the season against Shillong Lajong. Bengaluru FC have started the season well with two wins in a row and have looked good doing so. The team will likely remain mostly unchanged while Singto's Lajong will be playing their second game of the season and also looking for their first goal after keeping a 0-0 match against Mumbai in round one.

There is a match of Monday but that is for Round 4.

Matches:
Friday, 22 January 2016:
- Aizawl 2-0 DSK Shivajians

Saturday:
- East Bengal vs. Mohun Bagan

Sunday:
- Mumbai vs. Salgaocar
- Bengaluru FC vs. Shillong Lajong

Bye: Sporting Goa
MaddiegoalkeeparnamewtheldDeb_Banspartamunna219777debarghya89footydipdeepakcnikhiland 2 others.

Comments