AFC Asian Cup 2019

Comments

• dev_pfcdev_pfc Pune1936 Points
    edited January 2019
    Horrible defending by China, all three times they either panicked or had no clue what was happening.
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29628 Points
    @Ronny: Good to hear that...where did you write  about Indian football? Did you try something here?

I am sure all of us here at IFN would benefit from it
    Deb_Ban
    @dev_pfc: Lol so that is why they say Chinese product, no guarantee :D :p  
    reddevil87dev_pfcgoalkeepar
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    I remember meeting Ronny in Delhi once, over Subroto Cup finals. The way he recounted Indian football stuff, I thought I would rather keep shut, lest I sound a noob.
    reddevil87spartathebeautifulgameDeb_Bangoalkeeparmunna219777
  • RonnyRonny 10456 Points
    @namewtheld : That's a little flattering but thank you :) It was great to meet you and Archak as well
    IFN really does need a meetup group or something
    munna219777
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9958 Points
    Iran is playing like champions. Although they got some comparatively softer opponents, I'd say they are the most impressive side in the tourney. Japan, Korea and Australia didn't impress.
    goalkeepar
  • dev_pfcdev_pfc Pune1936 Points
    My bet is on Iran this time. also Qatar may surprise Korea because of the way they are playing, Qatar and Iran are the only teams yet to concede a goal in this tournament.
    goalkeeparashindia
    https://www.foxsportsasia.com/football/asian-football/afc-asian-cup/1028839/afc-asian-cup-2019-eligibility-qatar-young-stars-under-scanner-almoez-ali-bassam-al-rawi/

AFC Asian Cup 2019: Eligibility of Qatar’s young stars under the scanner

One of AFC Asian Cup 2019′ best performing teams, Qatar find them in a spot of bother as they prepare to face Korea Republic in the quarterfinal at the Zayed Sports City Stadium in Abu Dhabi.

According to reports, some of the Qatari players might not even be eligible to play for them. Remarkably, two of their most important players in the tournament, 22-year-old forward Almoez Ali and 21-year-old defender Bassam Al-Rawi are part of the list as well.

I’m hearing that there are question marks over the eligibility of several Qatari players, including Almoez Ali and Bassam Al-Rawi. Both were born outside the nation and fail to meet the five-year residency requirements (as they are not 23 years old as required by FIFA rules).

Both the youngsters weren’t born in Qatar and do not meet the five-year residency requirement too. While the forward was born in Sudan, the defender was born in Iraq.

According to further updates from journalist Scott McIntyre, AFC stated that the players are registered under Article 7 of FIFA regulations. Under Article 7, a player is to eligible to play for the country if one of his parents or grandparents were born there.

Update on Qatar situation: AFC spokesman has confirmed that Almoez & Bassam were registered on the basis of documents which complied w/ Article 7 of FIFA regulations. So, in order to be eligible, the documents must demonstrate that both have a parent or grandparent born in Qatar.

View image on Twitter

These are the relevant FIFA regs over eligibility. Despite curious statements publicly from the players involved about their background, it will be interesting to see definitive, authentic, family links to the nation.

When further quizzed, AFC refused to reveal further details and asked the journalist to contact Qatar FA.

Further update on Qatar players Almoez Ali & Bassam Al-Rawi: AFC refuses to tell me whether the players qualify by clause 7b or 7c (which means they must demonstrate that at least one parent or grandparent was born in Qatar), and tell me to contact Qatar FA.

While Almoez Ali is the top scorer of the tournament with seven goals, Bassam Al-Rawi scored the winning goal Qatar’s round of 16 encounter against Iraq.

munna219777ashindia
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    Great Goal by Hatem. Qatar 1-0 South Korea

Qatar showing that their victories against Saudi, Iraq were not fluke. Another "Big Kill" in the process.
    thebeautifulgameNagendrasparta
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    FT  Qatar 1-0 South Korea.