Indian Football News Updates

Comments

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29650 Points

Senior India National Team head coach Igor Stimac, on Tuesday, December 12, 2023, announced a 50-member list of probables for the AFC Asian Cup Qatar 2023, set to take place in Doha, next month.

The Blue Tigers have been drawn in Group B, alongside Australia (January 13), Uzbekistan (January 18), and Syria (January 23). The top two teams from each group, along with the four best third-placed finishers (out of six) will make their way into the Round of 16.

India will set camp for the AFC Asian Cup from December 30 and will directly travel to Doha, Qatar, to begin their preparation.

The 50-member probables list is below:

Goalkeepers: Gurpreet Singh Sandhu, Amrinder Singh, Vishal Kaith, Dheeraj Singh Moirangthem, Gurmeet Singh Chahal.

Defenders: Naorem Roshan Singh, Bikash Yumnam, Lalchungnunga, Sandesh Jhingan, Nikhil Poojary, Chinglensana Singh, Pritam Kotal, Hormipam Ruivah, Subhasish Bose, Asish Rai, Akash Mishra, Mehtab Singh, Rahul Bheke, Narender Gahlot, Amey Ranawade.

Midfielders: Suresh Singh Wangjam, Rohit Kumar, Brandon Fernandes, Udanta Singh Kumam, Yasir Mohammad, Jeakson Singh Thounaojam, Anirudh Thapa, Sahal Abdul Samad, Glan Martins, Liston Colaco, Deepak Tangri, Lalengmawia Ralte, Vinit Rai, Ninthoinganba Meetei, Naorem Mahesh Singh.

Forwards: Sunil Chhetri, Rahim Ali, Farukh Choudhary, Nandhakumar Sekar, Siva Sakthi Narayanan, Rahul KP, Ishan Pandita, Manvir Singh, Kiyan Nassiri, Lallianzuala Chhangte, Gurkirat Singh, Vikram Partap Singh, Bipin Singh Thounaojam, Parthib Gogoi, Jerry Mawihmingthanga.

Good to see some of the new faces like Bikash Yumnam, Kiyan Nassiri, Asish Rai, Parthib Gogoi, Jerry Mawihmingthanga and Gurkirat Singh

After Stimac's strongly worded criticism of Udanta, strange to see him in the squad; ditto for Rahim Ali

Siva Sakthi's inclusion in the team is a positive development

No player from the I-League yet again...disappointing!!
    indian_goonerashindia
  • ChelseafanChelseafan Allahabad1655 Points
    Cannot understand why Jay Gupta, Puitea, Lalbiaknaka were not included? If you ignore performing players and instead pick the likes of Rahim Ali, Udanta, Narender Gehlot, then what's the motivation left for players to perform better?
    ashindiagiridharanRonnygoalkeeparindian_gooner
  • giridharangiridharan Washington D.C3660 Points
    AIFF President proposes Inter-University Football League during Flagship Summit Digii 100

https://www.the-aiff.com/article/aiff-president-proposes-inter-university-football-league-in-flagship-summit-digii-100

A lot of good talks but will only be happy if we see this in motion. Talking is the easiest part. University tournament is never the solution for the professional leagues. Unless this happens as a league year around which I don't think is the case here. At ages of 16 to 21 we need people to be playing in leagues but this will increase the interest in sport and who knows we might find a late bloomer one or two if we get lucky.
    ashindiaindian_gooner
    Cannot understand why Jay Gupta, Puitea, Lalbiaknaka were not included? If you ignore performing players and instead pick the likes of Rahim Ali, Udanta, Narender Gehlot, then what's the motivation left for players to perform better?
    I think Puitea and Lalbianaka could be just included in the camp. Even Jay Gupta can be included but I don't think he is nowhere ready for main squad. Yes, he is on a good run but he has himself said ISL is a step up in his interviews. I have seen him run out of gas plenty. At most he will only be an impact sub on the left where we are already strong. He is not ready for international football yet. I know many will disagree but I think Stimac is right to ignore Jay Gupta for now. The guy has not played a whole season in professional setup. He thinks ISL is great and a huge step up from the 5th division he was playing. All credits to Manalo for raising his game. But Stimac is right to ignore. 
    ashindiadev_pfcRonnygaffertape
  • ChelseafanChelseafan Allahabad1655 Points
    At Left Back Akash Mishra is the first choice. Competition is only for his backup. Subhashi Bose is a reliable player but lacks in technical attributes and doesn't offer much in attack. Thats where Jay Gupta can come in handy. Modern fullbacks have to technically strong, good in attack with pace to burn. We need reliable backup to Mishra. 
    Well if we needed defensive minded players for plan b that's where bose slots in. I don't think Jay Gupta is technically stronger so far.
    ashindia
  • EastBengalPrideEastBengalPride India9297 Points
    How does Prabhsukhan Gill doesnt make it in the probables list but Dheeraj Singh does? Dheeraj is half a season away from playin in second division. 
    goalkeepargaffertape
  • indian_goonerindian_gooner 3417 Points
    edited December 2023

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/football/indian-football/india-hosting-2034-fifa-world-cup-matches-saudi-arabia-aiff-president-kalyan-chaubey/article67648065.ece

India should think of hosting few matches of 2034 World Cup in Saudi: AIFF president to members

The 48-team 2034 World Cup will have 104 matches and the idea could be that a few of them -- around 10 matches -- could be held in India.

The All India Football Federation (AIFF) is mulling a plan to host a few matches of the 2034 FIFA World Cup, set to be held in Saudi Arabia, according to an internal circular of the national sports body.

Last month, FIFA, the world governing body of football, had confirmed following the October 31 deadline that Saudi Arabia was the sole bidder for the 2034 World Cup.

An Emergency Congress of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) held on October 18 had supported Saudi Arabia’s bid. India had also supported the move.

It is learnt that AIFF president Kalyan Chaubey told the executive committee members that India should think of hosting a few matches of the 2034 World Cup.

The 48-team 2034 World Cup will have 104 matches and the idea could be that a few of them -- around 10 matches -- could be held in India.

“The president informed the house that India should think or plan to work towards being a co-host for the World Cup in 2034,” the draft minutes of the AIFF Executive Committee held on November 9 said.

The FIFA had restricted the hosting eligibility of the 2034 World Cup to Asia or Oceania after it made the decision to host the 2030 edition on three continents (Africa, Europe and South America).

Saudi Arabia is also hosting the AFC Asian Cup in 2027 after India backed out of a bid to host the continental showpiece.

giridharangaffertape
  • it would have been good if it was a confirmed hosts. even if India wasn't part of the plan, I would have no expectations. Now these half baked things make me like How can i explain feeling of anxiety, hope.
  • MaddieMaddie ಮೈಸೂರು(Mysuru) / Canada2975 Points
    Dont we think 48 is too farse.. It will be reveresed once held. Dilution of WC spots looses importance. FIFA should reconsider region quotas and revamp the WC qualifiers based on Ranking instead of regional quotas, let the best 32 team competes. 
    giridharanDeb_Ban