India vs Palestine International Football Friendly, 6th February 2013

Comments

• Shah476Shah476 240 Points

I agree in parts of ur point but they ve been there from day one alongside bagan... dnt think prayag or anyone else can replace em..but yes as a setup prob the worse after bagan n responsible for own downfall.. but myb due to failure the new generation cant see any affiliation with them..

Wud love to see em back up there..one of the oldest clubs in asia..dnt deserve to linger where they are..

• > Shah476 said:
    > I agree in parts of ur point but they ve been there from day one alongside bagan... dnt think prayag or anyone else can replace em..but yes as a setup prob the worse after bagan n responsible for own downfall.. but myb due to failure the new generation cant see any affiliation with them..
    >
    > Wud love to see em back up there..one of the oldest clubs in asia..dnt deserve to linger where they are..

Agree. They also have massive historical reference to history but that can be said for many clubs around the world. Notts County for example in England or the New York Cosmos of the MLS.

Personally though I can not get over the name and the organization. The club was set up for the Islamic muslims of Kolkata. At least Mohun Bagan and East Bengal have greater historical reference. Mohun Bagan being the first Indian club to win a "British" tournament and East Bengal introducing India to international-club football.

I would rather Indian football move away from these types of clubs and try to move into a more modern direction. I dont care if people call my view "unrealistic" but that is what I believe will improve the league.

Yes, Mohammedan have history and possibly crowd support on their side, but they are not a club I would accept into a league for a country trying to develop their league for the best.
  • In fact Mohammedan remind me of the old-style clubs from Australia. Clubs like Sydney Croatia, Brunswick Juventus, Melbourne Croatia, Footscray JUST, APIA Leichhardt Tigers, Mooroolbark Soccer Club, and St George Budapest where around in the old National Soccer League and really it did nothing to help Aussie Football and instead created some animosity between most ethnics.

• Shah476Shah476 240 Points

I think you can see worldwide clubs have different identities, be it nationalistic or ethnic such as barcelona and catalunya..and the old firm clubs like rangers and celtics, they have failed due to their internal politics, they came well before east bengal and were orginal rivals.. more so than bagan they were an ideology of national movement of sports as u see many mohammdan clubs in sub continent.. in USA you have Chivas usa which is based on ethnicity as the clubs in australia have been in the past..

even east bengal and mohun bagan are based on ethnic lines so any sort of identity of clubs should be accepted as far as they dont discriminate in their affairs..which i thing mohammadan dnt but clubs such as zenith st peterburg and beitar jerusalem do...  in england clubs started with religious ideology and whatnot but i guess with professionalism they moved on and the big kolkata clubs have not done so.. but they have done more than mohammadan no doubt...

not sure why any name of a club should put people off.. if clubs can be named after family or company names.. why not alongside ethnicity, identity be at national or religious or whatnot..
  • Chivas USA is only named that as part of a silly promotion in 2005, when MLS was close to disaster, and we wanted to take advantage of the Mexican Chivas name.

Today people want it gone. Either move out of LA or rebrand. People call it the little sister. The only reason it is not a major issue is that MLS is to successful that both Chivas and New England cant ruin it.

Rangers and Celtic are horrible examples. 2 teams that average 40,000 a game while the others are forced to ruin as they struggle to even get 10,000. Why? Because most people around Scotland are fans of the big 2 and the rest are just left there. Scottish football is regressing because of that and now even the US is more of a football country than them.

• JoyptanJoyptan 295 Points

@Shah476 well said and agree with u.

• Joyptan said:

Not surprised.

• JoyptanJoyptan 295 Points

Arsenalkid700

Joyptan said:

Not surprised.

Me too!!!......... "Not surprised"