Asian Champions League (ACL)

Comments

• Arsenalkid700Arsenalkid700 7 Points
    edited March 2013

I dont think it is the fact that we dont spend just because it is sport. They must be smart enough to know that if a sports business is ran the right way then it can be very profitable. Just look at all the foreign investment from top sports brands around the world.

The problem I think is just that they dont see the profits in sports. And who can blame them. If you were a CEO of a big Indian company which has an overall net budget of 200 crores, would you rather invest in an I-League team or say... sponsor an up and coming market like Hockey.

Look at the investment placed in Hockey India League. Look at the stadiums they had. The TV quality. The commentary could have been better but it was still good.

Look at the West Bengal Premier League. That was a football league and the amount of investment that was made. Of course it was not enough but should have been a sign that there is some spending power for sports in India. We just need to make it look good and that is where the AIFF fail. From their website to the product on the field.

That is why we will not see stadiums like the one in Thailand. We have the companies all around us. Willing to join the market but they dont see the profits. It is all about the profits at the end of the day and they need to see it.
  • DomnicDomnic 2309 Points

kali007 said:
    I am just gonna go ahead and say bullshit, i think a modern stadium can be built around the 12 million dollar mark in India (maybe upto 30 million) and the excuses i am reading feels like a justification why thing haven't improved when i feel just because it hasn't been done it doesn't mean it can not be done. Some of these owners are fucking filthy rich but do they want to spend the money is question not that they cant or they don't have.

Yes. Very true. Filthy rich is the word for Salgaocar and Dempo. But will they spend. Salgaocar is married to Ambani's sister and van easily get handsome sponsorship for anything. But thet just dont see it as a good investment. These two clubs are pulling on just bcoz their grandfathers had started these ventures and they dont want them to close down.

Thats why I feel a IPL style league is required just to create a hype. Then we can get some following for the I- League. Then we may see some participation from corporate India. At present they run the clubs just as a part of yheir CSR.

• shankarshankar 2600 Points

the problem with goa is that it is a small state for all the club to be hopeful of making profits with spending infrastructure...

but i dont understand why not have a single stadium owned and shared by 2-3 clubs... say dempo, salgaokar and churchill...

like in allianz arena where for bayern match the stadium is red, national team match it is white i think and for 1860 minuch it is blue i suppose

it would be better in facilities term and they can go for the facilities they are looking for and no govt interference any stage 
  • Wait... why make a new stadium then? Salgaocar, Dempo, and Churchill Brothers are located in different parts of Goa. Instead of making a new stadium for them to share, just let them share the Fatorda Stadium again.

If reports are to be believed then the Fatorda Stadium should be a "World-Class" stadium by the time the Lusphony Games begin later this year. So instead of spending hundreds of crores on a new stadium, why not just pay the rent associated with playing at the Fatorda Stadium.

It would make the I-League games on TV look good as it would look good. The teams could make a lot of money using buses to get fans to the stadium. The teams could entice the people of Margao as well to attend. Maybe offer to bring a certain school to games for free. It could work. 
  • I dont think that any of the indian clubs will build a stadium of their own. Even cash rich IPL franchisees are using government or cricket association built stadiums. same with Hockey india league-rented stadiums from sports departments of different states.
    Land is freaking expensive in India. In my state Texas, you can get 1 acre of ranch land for 500 dollars. In India you will pay 50000 dollars for one acre of land. Clubs are business afterall. Only government can build stadiums in India as they do not have profit motive.

• JoyptanJoyptan 295 Points

The AFC Competitions Committee, which met on Tuesday has decided to include the top 23 countries insted of at presents 10 countries in the continent’s flagship club competition ACL from 2014 to 2016.

http://www.the-afc.com/en/about-afc/afc-committees/1128-standing-committee/25444-acl-base-widened-from-2014-120313.html

Can a Indian club get a ACL play-off spot next season???

• usaindiausaindia 1671 Points

finally

but we need to be on easter side with chinese,australian and japanese clubs
  • JoyptanJoyptan 295 Points

Whichever side we are doesn't matter, because every side in ACL will be very very tough for any I-league club.

• Considering its 23 countries expect us to not even play any of the Chinese, Australian, or Japanese clubs as we would have to play in the qualifiers.