2nd Division I-League 2014

Comments

• @gaffertape

AIFF would also not have mind Eagles FC. I understand that AIFF also played a role in helping Eagles by providing them with IMG players.

• Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9970 Points
    edited February 2014

I understand that AIFF also played a role in helping Eagles by providing them with IMG players.

or is it the other way round. Eagles helped AIFF by taking the players stranded by IMG-R and were rewarded by getting a place in Fed Cup. An example of mutual scratching of backs.
  • Raja75Raja75 80 Points
    I do not like any of the second division team so for me Any direct entry team will do if they can replicate Bengaluru FC. 
    How many Direct entry can we expect ? 

am sure you prefer another Mumbai tigers to come in...??
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    I do not like any of the second division team so for me Any direct entry team will do if they can replicate Bengaluru FC. 
    How many Direct entry can we expect ? 

am sure you prefer another Mumbai tigers to come in...??
    Re-read his comment.
  • gaffertapegaffertape 13021 Points
    I league manual for 2nd Division is just a copy paste job each year...all they do is change the dates. So the typos and spelling errors from 2010 are still there
    Gaffer - Do you think three teams from Shillong is a good idea or sustainable if Royals qualify and RUFC manage to stay in the I-League ?
    Wow busy day..lots of specific questions...let me try to tackle some of the less hard ones... ;)

If Shillong ended up with 3 teams and they ended up having home games the same week , the fans would be split...but not in a straightforward manner.
    Eg.
    1. Friday : Shillong at home
    Saturday : Rangdajied at home
    SUNDAY : Royal Wahingdoh at home

Assuming all 3 were playing average I-league teams like United SC , Mumbai FC and Pune FC then the team playing Sunday would get the best gate receipts.
    The avg "neutral " fan would pick the Sunday fixture.

However if the Friday team is playing a "Top Billing" I-League team like East bengal , Mohun Bagan or the table toppers then that game would moat likely get prime attendance , assuming its Friday night under lights not 2pm

Rangdajied have a huge locality based support from Upper Shillong and have been around for a very long time.
    Royal Wahingdoh are also a locality based team from a neighbourhood very close to the ground,

SLFC are not locality based and draw on fans of other Shillong Premier league teams who want to ebjoy a good game of football. They also draw lots of fans from the outakirts of Shillong like RiBhoi and Jaimtia Hills.

In terms of spending power .RUFC and RWFC can outspend SLFC.
    Anglian might be pulling out of SLFC at seasons end and if this were to happen , there is rumors of SLFC returning to what they were 5 yrs ago, a cimmunuty based club.
    The owner will then shift his expertise and investment to Guwahati and join forces with big businesa and politicians ( Gogoi's ) to forma Guwahati based ISL team . ( NE United ?)
  • Thanks For the elaborate reply Gaffertape but if SLFC return to being a community based club and RUFC and Royals become the two I-League side or the two prominent one,, they will have to go through the same development cycle as Lajong which might mean initial years of struggle and loop sided losses. 

@gaffertape, I do not understand one thing: if AIFF wants to
    have franchisee teams in the league, why are not they spelling it out, instead
    of secretly hoping for it? Franchisees are not bad for the health of the
    league, after all.

This can be done in parallel with the pro-rel system this
    year. You relegate one team and promote one team (to justify the existence of
    the 2nd div and the hope to ‘expand’ the league). That it does not
    actually expand the league -- it only fills the league with more Kolkata and
    Goan clubs-- is a separate issue. That keeps the total number of clubs at Div I
    at 13, and get three franchisee clubs to have a 16 team league. Only thing,
    instead of taking whoever interested onboard like last year (they were aiming
    for second teams from Mumbai and Pune because businessmen from those cities
    only were interested), AIFF should pre-fix the cities and invite bids.

I would prefer to have a cap on the max number of teams from
    a city (say 2) and a state (say 3) and vacate spaces to be filled by franchisee
    teams.

This has a down side of course: if you do not have a good
    telecasting contract and a good title sponsor to the , you will not attract sound
    bidders, and get teams like Kalighat MS, MP United or Aizawl FC in the process. 

Some of the entities that expressed an interest in starting a franchise are only keen to do so for rhe short term. ie. They want to play ISL but not interested in I-League and fulfilling all the AFC criteria.

The expansion teams will come from cities/states like Delhi-NCR, Chennai , Kerela etc.
    The direct entry option was created by Kushal Das and co to plug holes in AIFF finances.

Noone is willing to start a new team..spend 10 Crores on player's, staff and running costs and also commit 3Crores a year to AIFF for 5 yrs.

BFC model works differently, they dont pay 3 Cr each year, they have adopted the Regional Academy in Bangalore( which coats them roughly 1 Crore each year) & they have agreed a profit share with AIFF & KSFA with regards to stadium redevelopment.
    This has given JSW access to 12-15 Acres of prime real estate in the city centre worth 1000's of Crores !!
    JSW will build hotels, convention centre, mall, gym, clubhouse , Academy etc within the new stadium complex and all parties will be laughing all the way to the bank in 3yrs time.

So their business model is actually quite sound...although they will spend large amounts initially. ..the club will be sustained by the new sports complex revenue that they will generate.

Thia model won't be wasy to replicate in Aizawl, or many other places. Also Bangalore stadium is "owned" by the State Football Federation., so such MOU is possible
  • munna219777munna219777 28514 Points
    edited February 2014
    So this stadium will be redeveloped by BFC? This will take years. The present stadium with unsafe stands is product of 50 years of construction. I cant imagine how can they show this pathetic stadium to FIFA Team for World Cup 2017!!!! Till then BFC Games will be moved to Sree Kanteerava Stadium?

One major question arises that what will be the model for promotion to I-league? Pure merit by 2nd Division or Money Power theu Corporate Route.
    Also next year how many teams in total will be there in I-League? 12? 13? 14?16?
    Stadium is being knocked down after last I-league game.
    Next season BFC will play ISL in Kanteerava and also their I-league matches at Kanteerava for next 2 years
    They will show FIFA this stadium and the architects plans. Inspection team arrives Monday

No one knows how many teams in I-league next year. ..not even Sunando Dhar.
  • DomnicDomnic 2309 Points
    @gaffertape. While replying about Shillong teams you said that " Top billing teams like EB n MB " get more crowd. Are these teams still considered top billing teams. In the late ninetees and early 2000, it was ok to call them top billing. These guys have not won the league in the last 10 years.