India in Rio Olympics 2016

Comments

• munna219777munna219777 28557 Points
    Sarita Devi also won her bout.
    edited May 2016
    In this Boxing Qualification, Indian media is only focussing on MaryKom,. We have other Women Boxers also.

54 kilo Group, Nikhat Zareen of Nizamabad, Telangana is competing today. She is only 19 years of age.
    57 Kilo Group, Sonia Lather of Jind, Haryana is participating.

Nagendrakartik91
    Both Nikhat and Sonia have moved on to next round by defeating their Australian and Mongolian Boxers respectively. That makes it 4 out of 4 for India as far as Preliminary Round is concerned.
  • BadBad 5146 Points
    Nikhat is really one for the future.Since it will be Mary Kim's last Olympics,i feel Nikhat will switch from 54kg(her current category) to 51 kg(Olympics category where Mary currently fights).Nikhat is Junior World Champion so keep an eye on her.I feel her name will feature quite a lot in times to come.
    kartik91Nagendramunna219777
  • karenesudhakar2050karenesudhakar2050 Hyderabad 1504 Points
    Marykom failed to qualify for rio olympics.. mary lost  to Germany's Azize Nimani in the second round of  qualifier

http://sports.ndtv.com/boxing/news/258715-mary-kom-fails-to-qualify-for-2016-rio-olympics
    munna219777
  • BadBad 5146 Points
    Mary lost in the second round.I feel this is end of her career(Specially Olympics Career) but guys what a fantastic career.

Today,i feel we shd celebrate her success rather than crib about her lost(I am also sad still)

She,in my opinion is the best ever Female Athlete India has ever produced and she truly is a LEGEND.

5 time World Champion,Bronze Medalist at Olympics.Coming from a humble background,fighting against the odds and doing India proud multiple times.

She truly is a Role Model for everybody in India that if you work hard,nothing is impossible.

HATTS OFF TO MARY!!!ALL THE BEST.FEELING PROUD...
    reddevil87NagendraBrainFallINDIAnamewtheldmunna219777kartik91atuljgSanjeev Biswasshibier
  • BadBad 5146 Points
    edited May 2016
    I first saw MaryKom at Hyderabad National Games in 2002. It has been a very long and illustrious career. Amateur Boxing is a fast game and unfortunately age is not on her side. It should be remembered that only after 2010 that Amateur Women Boxing became a medal event at Olympics, Asian Games, Commonwealth Games. By this time, the best years of her were already gone. This time there was little chance for MaryKom to win medal. Hope that baton pass on to younger Boxers.

Vijender Singh recognised that one cannot just rest on past laurels and moved on. I hope that Sushil Kumar and MaryKom also realise that one can Retire gracefully and let younger and better players take their place when they are not able to qualify or win medals.
    usaindiareddevil87
    @Bad Best Ever Female Athlete - there are many contenders for that post.   P T Usha is there, Karnam Malleshwari for first woman to win Olympic Medal. M C Marykom, Saina Nehwal, Sania Mirza have all performed admirably for India in International Sporting Events.
    BrainFallINDIA
    Today India has 4 Boxers in Astana Tournament.

75 kilo weight  Pooja Rani will face Savannah Marshall of Great Britain.

81 Kilo weight   Sweety will face Kebikava of Belarus.

54 Kilo Weight  Nikhat Zareen will face Erica Adjei of Canada.

57 Kilo weight  Sonia Lather will face Nomin Deutsch of Germany