Online Chatting

Comments

• munna219777munna219777 28557 Points
    @Deb_Ban ; There was one guy Mr Alan Durante who was responsible for Mahindra Football initiative. Once he retired, next gen of managers were not that interested in Football and Mahindra did what previously Mafatlal and Tata did-close the Football club. Look - Lalit Modi changed the scenario in which Corporates deal with CSR tax initiatives. New Generation managers have adapted to IPL Model of "Kaam Kam Shor Jyadaa". It is more lucrative for them to promote a selfie with retired cricketer or a flop actor cum owner of a Franchise league team instead of running a club. Look at this nonsense of 3 day photo-op at a school in Mumbai and then calling it Center of Excellence for Football. JCT also did the same-closed down. JRD Tata, Naval Tata did a lot for Indian Sports. Their successors Ratan and now Cyrus Mistry are indifferent towards Sports.
    It is more about changing Corporate culture in India.
    Deb_Banreddevil87
  • kartik91kartik91 Delhi1139 Points
    It's all about profit and loss for corporates. Tatas did for the love of the game but for others, it's an investment with zero or few returns in a foreseeable future.
  • karenesudhakar2050karenesudhakar2050 Hyderabad 1504 Points
    Kartik jsw also doing amazing job have football & wrestling team. They have also opens  centre of excellence training upcoming athletes for Olympic
  • reddevil87reddevil87 1858 Points
    Among all the corporate right now, JSW seems to follow more serious approach. Even Mahindra (Mr Anand Mahindra) did a good job with pro-kabbadi. The worse of the lot is Reliance, no involvement apart from money aspect. Mumbai Indians and ISL is a great example. 
    Truth to be told, take any sports now say badminton, football, wrestling, hockey, kabaddi, etc. all have gone towards franchise model. I am just worried about longevity of this model because of the lack of seriousness from the franchises.
    munna219777Deb_Ban
  • usaindiausaindia 1671 Points
    i think all franchise models leagues will survive in one or different forms
    even when NFL  american football league  it struggled in begining ,they had AFL,NFL and both merged to form NFL.
    But all the franchise models  brought  more money into players.

• ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    The American franchise models, for all their faults (deservedly) do show signs of occasionally caring for more than the money and do care about the history of their sports and teams (mainly through the fans) but the Indian franchise leagues seem to be pure money.

I mean, they are all basically the same, 2-3 months (if not just 1 month), 6-8 teams, marquee players, almost all on STAR Sports, etc etc. It is just money.

People hate the NFL in America cause they are all about money but Indian franchise leagues might be worse in that aspect.
    munna219777Deb_Bangoalkeeparreddevil87
  • munna219777munna219777 28557 Points
    The quality is sometimes given a toss in IPL Model. Old, unfit, retired, over the hill players of one franchise can be seen compete with old, unfit, retired, over the hill players of other franchise.
    This is unique to Indian IPL Model. This does not happen in NFL. We cannot compare Indian IPL Model to every Franchise model of the world.
    American franchise leagues do not compromise in quality.
    goalkeeparreddevil87
  • usaindiausaindia 1671 Points
    but i am sure when american leagues started the quality might not be so great as it now.
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    Well ya, look at MLS. The quality of the league is SO MUCH better than it was back in 1996 when it started and now instead of relying on college soccer for new players, each team has a development academy, investment in stadiums and training grounds... hell, each team owns a reserve team in the USL to serve as the bridge between MLS and Academy.

I don't see the same in India. The IPL will be successful because cricket is the #1 sport in India and there has never been a proper club scene in cricket other than Ranji Trophy or things like that (County etc).

Other sports have established leagues which if India is to become a PROPER SPORTING NATION need to follow. In football, the league should have at least 8-10 teams and at least be 6 months long with games on weekends and occasionally mid-week. Does not matter if there are play-offs, franchises etc. but at least get the basics right.

I looked up the hockey leagues in England and Australia and they run for a few months but the HIL runs for just 1 month exactly!

The Indian sports model currently has corrupted the minds of many to make the population believe India is becoming a sporting nation but really, it is far away from a sporting nation. None of the new franchise leagues even overlap! ISL happens, then HIL, then IPL, then PKL, and whatever else in between. They are all short, games every day etc.

I remember talking to an IMG-Reliance fellow who said that the reason ISL games are everyday is because that is what their market research said would get the most views and crowds... WELL OF FUCKING COURSE! What else is there to go on other than the IPL and maybe HIL? Does the Premier League, Bundesliga, La Liga etc suffer because they only happen on weekends mainly? No. Did our current I-League sides in their heyday fail to get crowds when only playing on weekends? No. So fuck the market research and actually make India a proper sporting nation.

The franchise model is not the problem, it is the fucking idiots who run these leagues who have no idea about sports and who don't even hire people who know sports.
    munna219777goalkeeparDeb_Banreddevil87