Online Chatting

Comments

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29686 Points
    http://www.news18.com/news/sports/fifa-u-17-world-cup-what-friday-the-6th-meant-for-an-indian-football-lover-of-the-90s-1540211.html

FIFA U-17 World Cup: What Friday the 6th Meant for an Indian Football Lover of the '90s

Finally, after almost a decade of being a sports journalist, Friday the 6th arrived, and the Jawaharlal Nehru stadium witnessed something that I haven't in close to three decades of watching Indian football.

The 1990s was a time of great change for India at many levels. The post liberalisation economy led to an influx of cash at every level of the market and the society. 'Development' began to take place at a very swift pace. Money was the mantra wherever one went and we all slowly became a part of a chain reaction. Money was the society's new haemoglobin, and the middle-class were the red blood cells, increasing at a fast pace.

I was born in one such middle-class Bengali household in New Delhi's Malviya Nagar locality. My earliest recollection of our house is one with a huge verandah, where I played football with my father. We also had a terrace on the first floor, which was my resting place in the evenings, after I had soiled my clothes and spirit while trying to outwit my 'mohalla friends' in a game of cricket or football or sometimes hide 'n' seek. The terrace had a view of, what I now feel, a 'utopian' Delhi, perhaps an idea of my city that now exists only in my dreams. It was a wonderful view, a park in front of our house, small single-storied houses lined with bicycles and 'Bajaj Chetaks' in front of them and the odd Premier Padmini and Vij uncle's red Maruti 800. For me, then, that was Delhi.

Then came the 'haemoglobin effect' and suddenly the view from my terrace changed. Builder flats started coming up and we too became a part of that change. My house from being this open amphitheater, turned into a closed train. It was a plush new three-storied building which everyone seemed to like except me. And then one day my old man took me to the 'new' terrace and showed me the view. It was a new world, I could see a new city and the first thing that stood out for me apart from the Qutab Minar was the facade of the Jawaharlal Nehru stadium.

In the years that followed, I made several trips to the JLN stadium and the Ambedkar stadium to follow the sport that my heart rooted for, football. The 1990s was a difficult period for an Indian kid, who loved football. The Tendulkar mania was sweeping the country and India were on their way to becoming a superpower in cricket. The cable TV revolution meant we could watch the world's best football players showcase their skills on a weekly basis and while that fuelled our hearts with hope, it also discouraged us from following Indian football.

I was a regular at the Ambedkar stadium for the Durand Cup and DCM Cup, till they stayed relevant. Vijayan's guile, Baichung's finishing, Ancheri's crosses, Coutinho's delightful trickery were all part of the annual football fest in the capital. There were the coaches too, who spoke of an era gone by, when India were among the elite in Asian football. Syed Nayeemuddin, Sukhwinder Singh, Subroto Bhattacharjee, Amal Dutta, Shabbir Ali and the likes had a bagful of stories. But Indian football went nowhere.

Perhaps the reason why many of us, who started our sports journalism career as football fellas are now cricket hacks. This again has a direct relationship with the 'haemoglobin effect' that I have mentioned in the first paragraph.

Finally, after almost a decade of being a sports journalist, Friday the 6th arrived, and the Jawaharlal Nehru stadium witnessed something that I haven't in close to three decades of watching Indian football. I wasn't at the stadium, the young 'football fellas' from my team were and while we were all proud of the moment when an Indian team took to the greens in a global footballing event for the first time, my heart sank the moment I saw the big American boys launch attack after attack in the first five minutes. I feared the worst like many of those in the stadium did. Were these young boys going to get mauled in front of these hopeful supporters?

They kept losing possession, there was no pattern or build-up to their play. Goalkeeper Dheeraj Kumar was the only reason why USA had not broken the deadlock in the first half-an-hour, until defender Jitendra Singh suffered a brain snap. USA skipper Josh Sargent must have been praying to get a knock inside the penalty box, since his finishing wasn't up to the mark till then, and Jitendra answered the prayers by literally pulling him down. Sargent coolly slotted home from the spot and the hammering it seemed had just begun.

India were expected to go in a shell and park the bus further to try and avoid a humiliation. But that wasn't the case. By the time the half-time whistle was blown, Aniket Jadhav had managed a shot on goal and Komal Thatal had shown some prowess with the ball at his feet.

But it was all doom and gloom at the beginning of the second half as an unlucky deflection meant Dheeraj was beaten for the second time on the night. USA were ready to dominate but suddenly the 'Blue boys' found some rhythm. Thatal found space behind the US defence and almost embarrassed the on-rushing opposition goal-keeper, but his lob went over the crossbar.

Substitutes Rahim Ali and Naorem provided more breadth and speed to India's attack in the final quarter of regulation time. Wangjam's left-footer struck the head of a USA defender while enroute for the top corner and Anwar Ali's right struck the crossbar, before USA made it 3-0.

There were other moments too, Naorem's runs through the left after coming on for the final 20 minutes and Rahim Ali's through pass to Komal in the 81st, which was swept up by the USA keeper showed signs of what this team has achieved in the last two years of staying together and playing the world over. 

The technical prowess is missing largely but what was refreshing to see was the energy on the field. There was a sense of pride in seeing an Indian football team not run out of breath by the time the final whistle was blown.

A 0-3 scoreline didn't do justice to the fight shown by the Indian colts but it did one thing for Indian football lovers of the 90s like me. It rekindled our affection for our first love. 

The performance also, for me, gives fodder to the debate on whether the entry of corporate players, who have brought in more money and limelight for Indian football, is taking the game forward or not. After all, football is the biggest sporting money-spinner in the world and a bit of the 'haemoglobin effect' is needed to take the sport ahead in India too. But that is a debate for later.

For now we can bask in the glory of the fact that Luis Norton de Matos' boys have shown the world that India can play football and that is a good enough beginning on a stage as big as this.
    Deb_Bankartik91munna219777souravindia
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    They have a show called Soccer Saturday in England
    munna219777
    http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/football/pakistan-suspended-from-international-football-by-fifa-4885056/

Pakistan suspended from international football by FIFA

Pakistan suspended from international football because of what FIFA described as undue third-party interference in PFF.

munna219777Ashkaul5
  • munna219777munna219777 28514 Points
    There is a proverb in Hindi - "कंगाली में आटा गिला"    This fits Pakistan Football the best.
    Carbon_14
    edited October 2017
    http://www.news18.com/news/sports/fifa-u-17-world-cup-pampano-penalty-baked-ballon-dor-rossogolla-during-football-fever-1542781.html

FIFA U-17 World Cup: 'Pampano Penalty', 'Baked Ballon d'Or Rossogolla' During Football Fever

“The resulting dishes will also have a twist in their names, with the dishes being called Pampano Penalty, Cobia Somersault Shot, Vannamei Volley, Ombak Banana Kick, King Crab Crossbar etc."

FIFA U-17 World Cup Pampano Penalty Baked Ballon dOr Rossogolla During Football Fever
    Kolkata: To provide the best in the world with the best from the world, West Bengal Fisheries Department is treating FIFA Under-17 World Cup players with a variety of seafood from the Middle East, Philippines, Turkey, Mali, New Zealand and from Bengal.
    Speaking to News18, Soumyajit Das, Managing Director of West Bengal Fisheries Development Corporation (WBFDC) said, “Varieties of fish like Pampano (Florida), Ombak, Vannamei Prawn (Thailand, Vietnam), King Crabs, Cobia also known as Black Salmon (Australia and Japan) will be used to fuse with traditional Bengali cuisine.”

“The resulting dishes will also have a twist in their names, with the dishes being called Pampano Penalty, Cobia Somersault Shot, Vannamei Volley, Ombak Banana Kick, King Crab Crossbar etc. I am sure people, as well as guests from FIFA and players, will like our signature dishes,” he said.

When asked where one could get their hands on these signature dishes, he said, “We have our own restaurant called All Fish at Salt Lake’s Nalban Sector V and at Eco Park in New Town area. Both the places are close to the Vivekananda Yuba Bharati Krirangan (Salt Lake Stadium). We will arrange special travel arrangements to these foreign guests who wish to have the fine cuisine in our restaurant. We will also provide delivery to their respective hotels as well.”

Besides seafood, All Fish has a speciality dessert called ‘FIFA Makha Sandesh’ and ‘Baked Ballon d'Or Rossogolla’. 

“Hygiene is one of our top priorities while making these food items. We are using the best quality spices, fish and herbs to prepare these foods. Our chefs have undergone special training to fuse international taste with Bengali flavour,” Das said.

“We have a helpline. FIFA managers and officials can call us to help serve them better,” Das said.
    munna219777Carbon_14
  • Ashkaul5Ashkaul5 Jammu849 Points
    What's wrong with supreme court these days . Weird rulings !

High school boys and girls are losing virginity fast .
    But a consensual sex between 17 year old girl and 21 year old male or 21 year old girl and 19 year old boy bonded by marriage is rape . 
    Don't understand the logic .

At best book them under child marriage as it's against indian law .

And seriously cracker ban  :D
    I don't burst them but reasoning behind banning lacks logic .
    munna219777goalkeepar
  • Ashkaul5Ashkaul5 Jammu849 Points
    12 hrs of cracker burning is more injurious to environment than vehicular pollution all year + 16c unnatural cooling in extreme summers  :D
    munna219777kartik91
  • BrainFallINDIABrainFallINDIA India7111 Points
    Pople justifying crackers are assholes and have never been to Delhi.
    munna219777Ashkaul5kartik91