Online Chatting

Comments

• NagendraNagendra Rajahmundry, A.P6482 Points
    Bengali is not Devanagari script.. as u said, it is not similar to Hindi ... I listen Bengali songs... it is as good as comparing Tamil & Telugu ..  Nepali is devanagari script and few other Indian languages 
    debarghya89ashindiamunna219777
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    Urdu and Hindi have different script. But both languages are mutually intelligible, part of bigger Hindustani Language family.
    NagendraDeb_Ban
  • samsam 16428 Points
    Urdu has more Persian influence and Hindi has more Sanskrit influence 
    munna219777
    edited May 2018
    If you are talking about Rekhta (Urdu Poetry) seen in Mirza Ghalib TV serial or mughal-e-azam movie, then yes more Persian influence. Common Man urdu will not have that many Persian words. Same way Hindi spoken in Ramayan, Mahabharat serials will have Sanskrit infleunce but who speaks Hindi like that !!! Common Hindi and Urdu are very very similar. ;)

Any TV serial based out of Karachi and Bollywood movies on 1980s, 1990s will be a fine comparison- difficult to distinguish between them because so many words, grammar is common. Attempts to separate these two languages is more political.
    Deb_Bangoalkeeparatuljg
  • samsam 16428 Points
    I agree with your points. Hindi speakers have started speaking a lot of Persian loaned Urdu words, but the opposite is not true. I like to explore languages a lot and this is my understanding. 
    munna219777
    edited May 2018
    @sam ; Etymology of Hindustani is interesting. Languages do evolve over a period of time. Persian was official language as far as Court procedures, documentation is concerned for many centuries in India until British rule was formally established. (Crown rule, not East india company). Both Persian and Sanskrit were the languages every educated person learnt, not common man. Persian seeped into Hindi of that time. Goswami Tulsidas created Ramcharitmanas in 16th century and it is supposed to have more then 1000 words of Persian in it. Hukumnama of Guru Gobind Singh ji is in Persian language with Guru seal. Official documents of Maratha Peshwa times have been displayed in Persian language. Mughals spoke Hindustani but documents were in persian. British Civil servants (Writers building) were trained in both Persian as well as Hindustani. (Generation of Clive will speak perfect hindi, mountbatten will not) Now all that Persian influence is gone.

Similar analogy can be made about Europe. Latin was required for University. Elite spoke French whether it was London or Moscow. More then Victorian England, it was the rise of superpower USA which has made English the most important language of the world. Old generation of europeans will struggle in english, young know it all.

It is my observation that all non-hindi languages of India have made a strong comeback and will continue to grow more. This is what people want. It is only a matter of time and natural progression.

debarghya89atuljggoalkeeparBrainFallINDIANagendraashindia
  • atuljgatuljg Trivandrum3983 Points
    @Nagendra, I told Bengali is 'similar' to Devanagari script. It may be a different script but a lot of alphabets do look close if not the same. 
  • samsam 16428 Points
    Bengali alphabet has Devanagari and Tibetan influence 
  • samsam 16428 Points
    Thanks munna for writing in detail how Hindustani has evolved. I know all these. What I wanted to say is that for many words we use the Persian loan word in Urdu more than the one derived from Sanskrit. e.g. necessity=zaroorat, abashyakta. Now tell me which one people generally use. There are many many examples like this. 
    munna219777
    edited May 2018
    Yes I agree that Persian influence is more. Is that due to the fact that Persian is a more modern language in comparison to Sanskrit as well as official status for centuries in India ?? Sanskrit has its limitations. I dont know sanskrit derived equivalent of words given below :-

In both Hindi and Urdu,
    Door - darwaza (persian) is used more then dwar (Sanskrit)
    window - khidki  (persian) is used more then ------ (sanskrit)
     wall - deewar (persian) is used more then ------- (sanskrit)
    Gate- phatak (persian)
    Just a small example.