I-League 2015-16 | General Discussions

Comments

• indianFootballFanindianFootballFan India4496 Points
    yeah, but MLS does not have a five month season.
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    Ya... we have a 6 month season :p
    indianFootballFan
    MLS runs from March to October. Right?

edited July 2015
    So that is 7 months. Add in play-offs and each season is 7-8 months. Pre-season in end of January/early February.
    Thats right. But MLS does not have an ISL like entity to compete with. I League could start in november/december leading to a proper season. With League starting in January and ending in MAy, it gives them less than 5 month. Last season, we had 11 teams and 22 rounds of matches. If there were say 12 teams, we could have more matches in 22 rounds. If two teams get direct entry, then again I League will face the same problem. Thats why I would like to see Even number of teams participating in I League

I see your point... even number also helps gives more simplicity which would be more than welcomed currently. 

We also need to worry about not congesting the schedule. With international matches and AFC Cup matches to take part in, the I-League being on 5 months, we could see a lot of match congestion with 22-24 rounds of play and we can't really go beyond May, can we?

This is not what I would ideally like to see, but is just a thought that just came to me... I wonder if this could be step 1 in an eventual "merge" of the I-League and ISL? As in, perhaps we could bring in two more Bengaluru FC type teams directly, learn from the Bharat FC mistake, have these teams in potential ISL markets such as Hyderabad or Punjab or something, and have them play in the I-League for a few years, establish a proper, real fan base, create youth development, and improve facilities etc like Bengaluru FC is doing.

Then in a few years from now, when a decision will have to be made regarding both leagues, we can move Bengaluru FC and the other direct-entry teams to ISL where they will already have a youth system and a proper, established fan base.

It's an interesting idea honestly and has been done before.
    That could be done. But would IMGR allow this. And would ISL franchises agree to become proper clubs?

Well that is for a few years down the line and honestly what do you mean by become proper clubs? I follow the A-League very closely and honestly, there are not many difference between how the A-League teams run themselves and how ISL ones do... same with I-League clubs like Bengaluru FC and ISL teams.

Sure, there are weird differences in the league compared to other leagues like the auction, retainment of players, marquee coaches, etc. but that does not make them not proper clubs. Ya, there are no youth academies but not many A-League teams have them either, just youth teams... and they've been around for 10 years. We also don't participate in Asian competition and if that makes the difference between how they are proper teams or not then I can't entertain that idea, I can see the sense in it though.

And I am not sure IMG-Reliance would allow it but I would probably not be against it. The teams would then be created with the intention of joining ISL eventually, and they would have 3 years of no relegation to look forward to where they can spend there money wisely and on things like marketing, infrastructure, and youth development (which gives me another idea but I shall save that for later).
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9957 Points
    Those who are talking of merger of the two leagues, are clearly delutional. ISL is a private league. If that merges with I-league, IMG-R loses a golden goose. So will they let? Will the Ambanis relinquish it? Again, if I-league is merged with ISL, the does not have an apex league (ISL is not part owned by the clubs). Direct entry clubs bought into I-league with the shield of non-relegation. After merger, migrants from I-league will also have that right without paying a dime. Clubs which were axed for not following AFC criteria, will cry foul seeing ISL clubs in the league. We know how well the ISL clubs follow AFC norms, and it would be years for them to conform. Then there is the issue of three clubs from Pune and Kolkata, Two from Mumbai. Merge these clubs? Surely Piramals, Subhash Chandra, Jindals, MB/ EB/ Neotia-Goenka will agree to merge with their counterparts.

This is a real mess and will remain so for days to come ....
    munna219777AKBgoalkeeparatuljg