One Nation One League: I-League-ISL Merger

Comments

• To clarify, my question is not ISL bashing. I do agree that I am skeptical of ISL. My concern is it should be another I-league in making down the years. 

And most of the media points out ISL is a success story (a media hype for me) without a backing of substantial proof. 

As of youth development, except ATK, no other franchises have a long youth structure. Same could be said about Pune FC, and Mohun Bagan academy in durgapur ( considering the fact MB Sail academy is very poor and relatively new). A week long youth camp (at max) is not youth development.  
    Deb_Bandeepakc
  • DXDX 4074 Points
    no league is a success until it reaches a stable level of enthusiasm and turnover in finance. I would say ISL is a great start, usually the reason for the constant enthusiasm for the english game is based on the below factors :

1. local club affinity
    2. quality players brought in each year. fans would love to watch newer players play and perform for thier clubs
    3. local rivalry
    4. transfer window rumours and signings.
    5. money gained by getting promoted and renewed enthusiasm when in a new league.

Compare that to ISL it has most of the above points except promotions and relegation dramas. They were trying to build up hype with local rivalries like the south indian derby and maha derby. its corny but still they r trying to work on the above points so the excitement remains the same.
    atuljg
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    Lets talk about the possible merger here
  • footydipfootydip Ranaghat, Nadia, West Bengal2722 Points
    bah! forgot about the thread
  • EastBengalPrideEastBengalPride India9297 Points
    The merger is happening, there would be backroom pressure from AFC/FIFA. And it would happen from 2017-18 season as due to WC matches ISL cannot take place. Stopping I-League will bring immediate sanctions.

I would love to see the league from November to May in first season and then October to May post that. Would give a window to bring back Fed Cup in a new format and also leagues like GPL CFL MPL etc can have a proper window.

kartik91
  • atuljgatuljg Trivandrum3983 Points
    State leagues should also be year long and run parallel to national league. Teams in national league should withdraw from state leagues.

I also propose a Federation cup with winners of State leagues and ISL teams which shall be run like the copa del ray with home-away matches. It'll help in assessing the quality difference between ISL and state league. With only 10 teams, we'll have enough time to conduct the cup competition also in parallel to ISL.
    reddevil87footydipgoalkeeparkartik91munna219777
  • coolgagancoolgagan 1109 Points
    Merger is all good until you look at the situation of Kolkata clubs. FC Pune city and DSK will have no problem as FC Pune City will use its fan base and expertise from Fiorentina while DSK will give its facilities which are the best in country. Those training facilities are WOW. They also have an established Liverpool football academy which will act as feeder academy for the main club. WIN WIN situation. GOA does not have the capacity to have anything other than FC Goa. Dempo is FC Goa. Salgaocar and Sporting will not want to compete with FC Goa. But, I don't want these clubs to stop functioning. They can form an effective second division.

East Bengal may find a private investor. But, Mohun Bagan will not merge with ATK anyhow. ATM would not want to dilute its brand name. Mohunn Bagan would not want to destroy its legacy. Situation doesn't look good. ATK won't go away easily after spending so much.
    A perfect balance needs to be found out taking leverage of Mohun Bagan fans and ATK fans and professionalism.

Others are fine as long as they keep their costs under control for the 6 month affair and have attendances.
    Again, I think if the league enlarges, ticket prices will increase marginally. Maybe 20-30%. But, fans can be assured. We cannot average 26,000 then. 20,000 would be my guess.

It will take time for the Indian people to understand the concept of a league where there are not finals and semi finals. Indians have been exposed to the wrong part of the game. They need to accept the league as it is. It is a marathon rather than a sprint as ISL is now.

But, maybe again we still will have the concept of finals. U never know IMG
    atuljgDomnicgoalkeeparThe real AGsilicon3
  • atuljgatuljg Trivandrum3983 Points
    ^^^A league has playoffs and finals.

I'm betting that'll be the model we'll be following.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_A-League
  • deepakcdeepakc Mumbai 3416 Points
    The league design excludes ALL rural talents , currently being developed by institutional sides.

All these clubs will aim for Pvt academies like dsk which only rich kids can afford.

There has to be a way of accommodating the vast scouting network and good training facilities of institutional sides.

We cant have a "for profit" indian NT team in 5 years.

Ill prefer 10 franchises and 4 institutional side in each of the 2 divisions of the single league.

I also realise that this Won't be allowed by the current officials
    munna219777
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9952 Points
    Goa is a state, not a city; and they surely deserve more than one teams. Salgaocar, SCG, anyone?

Kolkata situation is murky, yes. ATK will not budge. MB will not dilute the brand name. Jokers of EB will not be able to rope in a worthwhile partner. Didi will want a representative of the minorities and advocate to bring MSC on board.

What will Mumbai FC do? Down the shutters?

Big question is: what will IMG-R do? Will they let the league slip away from their hands? Right now, they are all: They are the regulator, they are the teams, they are the sponsors. In the changed scenario, they will be cipher. FIFA/ AFC won't accept conflict of interests or multiple ownership. Now what.

And newbies only don't know what a league is. Yeah, only those who were born after Nita bhabhi's giving birth of a footballing nation.
    goalkeeparsilicon3