Food : what you are eating

Comments

• Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9958 Points
    To me, lote is more snake than fish.

BTW, how's the hydrogen packed dry fish compared to the open market variety? I believe they have less offensive smell, but then the smell particular is the real attraction of dry fishes.
    thebeautifulgamefootydipsparta
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29629 Points
    "To me, lote is more snake than fish."

Just as Chingri (prawn) is more insect than fish to me :D :D 

But jokes apart, I love prawns and devour them with a vengeance

It's interesting that you compared lote (Bombay duck) to snakes...the renowned Bengali poet and novelist, Sunil Gangopadhyay, in his autobiography, Ordhek Jibon (Half a Life), narrated that lote was extremely unpopular in Bengal in post-independence days...due to its unsavory appearance, some people compared it to "nose mucus" (shikni was the word he used, as far as I can remember)...it was mainly used to feed chicken...it is only after some people experimented cooking the fish with onion, ginger and garlic and found it extremely tasteful that it found a respectable clientele
    Deb_Ban
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29255 Points
    edited December 2018
    If you think Lote("Bombil" in konkani) is snake.. What you think of Walking catfish (we call it Tigur) its a real snake fish, moves like snake and can bright air and live on surface for months it's a delicacie, some people here also eat the Indian freshwater elle("Adoi" in konkani) it's a real snake. 
    Deb_Ban[Deleted User]Carbon_14
    Walking catfish is called magur and stinging catfish is called shingi in Bengali...besides being delicacies, they have huge nutritional value and helps in recuperating after sickness

Nutritional Importance of Shing and Magur:
    Nutritional value of shing and magur is more than that of many large species of fish. They have much quantity of iron suitable for body. They contain more protein and low fat. So, these are easily digestible. These fishes are more popular as diet for rapid development of health at and after the time of sickness. Shing and magur fish help to prevent anaemia and to increase body energy.

http://tipsforagriculture.blogspot.com/2015/03/method-of-shing-and-magur-fish-culture.html
    goalkeepar[Deleted User]Deb_Bansparta
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    We Indians tend to overcook the food with all oil, frying, spices, pressure cooker.

The following nutrients are often reduced during cooking:

• Water-soluble vitamins: vitamin c and the B vitamins — thiamin (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3), pantothenic acid (B5), pyridoxine (B6), folic acid (B7) and cobalamin (B8).
    • Fat-soluble vitamins: Vitamins A, D  E and K
    • Minerals: Primarily potassium, magnesium, sodium and calcium.

thebeautifulgameCarbon_14[Deleted User]samsparta
  • AshishKaulAshishKaul Ancient India1127 Points
    @munna219777 I had it for breakfast yum yum .

4 cheelas  :blush:
    munna219777
    edited January 2019
    I had "breakfast fried rice", without eggs, bacon etc. but with lots of raisins and nuts ( a dash of green onions, potatoes, beans added)!

A sort of brunch, actually
    AshishKaulmunna219777
  • AshishKaulAshishKaul Ancient India1127 Points
    Not exactly, though there are similarities....vegetable fried rice is more or less this, with the usual variations...can be prepared easily from dinner leftovers, especially leftover cooked rice (https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/use-up-your-dinner-leftovers-in-this-breakfast-fried-rice-recipe)

Palaov is prepared more lavishly with ghee, basmati rice and is tastier...I am equally fond of fried rice (the usual one, not the breakfast version) and Palaov....in fact, I dote on them but somehow, I don't quite take to biryani, on which there was a great discussion earlier in this thread
    AshishKaulmunna219777