India at Tokyo 2020: A Roadmap

Comments

• souravindiasouravindia 3608 Points
    For me archery is like Indian football. Always have high hopes which never matetialise
    jitug1979
  • Lord_PessiLord_Pessi Bengaluru548 Points
    We dont have a women's team in archery because deepika shot a 5 during  a qualification event and they were knocked out . Like indian footballers they falter with little pressure . Expecting a medal from her is a huge ask and let alone defeat a korean archer who is setting new records now .
  • dev_pfcdev_pfc Pune1937 Points
    edited July 2021
    I think Vinesh Phogat is our best bet for Gold in this Olympics, followed by Manu Bhakar. And we might finally end our drought in hockey this year.
  • souravindiasouravindia 3608 Points
    For me its shooting if they r able to handle their nerves. We can get up to 3-4 there. I have seen its always the ranking/ qualification rounds we falter. Probably nerves
  • munna219777munna219777 28514 Points
    There are 4 Archery World Cup in a given year and then world championship
    There are 6 shooting world cup and then a World Cup Final.

In each of these Archery and shooting world cups, not all top archers / shooters are participating at a given event. sometimes you might win medal at Archery or shooting world cup where top 5 in the world are missing.

In Olympics all top performers come together in one competition.

So just because somebody has won medal in archery/shooting world cup does not mean that he / she really is best in the world. It is not like Football world cup - once in 4 year thing.
    So our expectations should be realistic.
    I think Dipika Kumari did well in the Ranking Round, I was expecting her to finish anywhere between 15 and 20.

Competition and pressure in Olympics is enormous.
    Carbon_14ashindiamasefieldtheoilfieldindian_gooner
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    Shooting and Archery can't be compared. Massive difference between the two.

Moreover,performance of our shooters has been quite consistent and we have topped most of the World Cups in terms of Medals.

We are being realistic because global magazines are predicting around 12-18 medals for India.
    munna219777Carbon_14Nagendraindian_gooner
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    edited July 2021
    So guys, it is starting from tomorrow(the sporting extravaganza).

Tomorrow is a critical day.As they say "Well begun is half done". We have a great chance to start off with a bang.

In my humble opinion, we have a great chance of winning around 3 medals on Day 1(tomorrow) itself.

10m air pistol(men), 10m air rifle(women) and weight lifting. Finger's crossed.

munna219777Ronnyrathorevarun4 namewtheldCarbon_14Nagendrakartik91